Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    To be honest, I've just turned into a selfish ar$e cycling in Dublin - it's about self-preservation. So dead center of the bus / bike lanes, cutting out all opportunity for a close pass. They can beep, tail gate, etc. - it goes 100% ignored. It's water off a ducks back. If I'm cycling center lane at 30kph in a 30kph zone, I don't see what the issue is.

Dead right - in fact, if you're cycling centre lane at 15 kmph in a 30 kmph zone, I don't see what the issue is. It is a question of how quick they're going to get to the back of the next queue of cars.
    ED E wrote: »
    Every morning on the hill into Terenure, Garda patrol car in a queue of private cars in the bus lane.

No fear of enforcement.

Came along there this morning, and was thinking they should just do away with the bus lane, as it is completely ignored. I wonder what would happen if you sat there with your camera for an hour and went to the Gardai with a long video and a list of a few hundred cars that violated the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They couldnt watch it, Templemore clearly blinds them all in the first day of classes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Danbo! wrote: »
    In fairness there is zero enforcement so why bother adhering to the rules? Every morning I see the same on Patrick's Street, Harolds cross, etc. Even a Garda traffic corps car sitting in the bus lane at the hospice amongst loads of other cars in the queue.
    The sooner the likes of DB gets fed up with it and starts an agreement with the gardai to forward on their footage of every infraction, the better. Won't happen though as the union would revolt as some of its members would end up fired.
    Came along there this morning, and was thinking they should just do away with the bus lane, as it is completely ignored. I wonder what would happen if you sat there with your camera for an hour and went to the Gardai with a long video and a list of a few hundred cars that violated the rules?
    Or copy the Met and start accepting dash and helmet cams as evidence and have a small team to process and send out fines. You could add ANPR for Tax and Insurance onto it and job done. A gold mine in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Or copy the Met and start accepting dash and helmet cams as evidence and have a small team to process and send out fines. You could add ANPR for Tax and Insurance onto it and job done. A gold mine in this country.

I had a business plan worked up for this when dash/helmet cams were starting to take off a few years ago. Add an app and negotiate a % of each fine for the footage provider and its a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Whats the story with weekends?
    I see the cycle lanes are pretty much bumper to bumper with parked cars and joggers jogging towards me, specifically on Sundays.

Are cycle lanes only applicable during week-days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Whats the story with weekends?
    I see the cycle lanes are pretty much bumper to bumper with parked cars and joggers jogging towards me, specifically on Sundays.

Are cycle lanes only applicable during week-days?

Some are, which is a total joke, but symptomatic of vary core issues in understanding, planning and investment in dedicated infrastructure for cyclists, not to mention safety for cyclists on existing lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

One not involving me, another one involving me

Early in the video the Audi passes the cyclist very very closely

The taxi driver then passes me very closely ( 1 min mark) swings into the taxi lane with no indicators, only to swing back out of it
    I stopped to talk to the taxi driver, the conversation went the usual,

"you were in the middle of the lane, cycle close to the kerb, we can all share the road. I can use the bus lane I'm picking up a fare, oh I've got a dashcam too blah blah blah.."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

droidus wrote: »
    I had a business plan worked up for this when dash/helmet cams were starting to take off a few years ago. Add an app and negotiate a % of each fine for the footage provider and its a winner.

I'd never have to work again.

http://road.cc/content/news/223635-video-mobile-phone-app-pays-users-5-spotting-drivers-using-their-phones
    papu wrote: »
    One not involving me, another one involving me

Early in the video the Audi passes the cyclist very very closely

The taxi driver then passes me very closely ( 1 min mark) swings into the taxi lane with no indicators, only to swing back out of it
    I stopped to talk to the taxi driver, the conversation went the usual,

"you were in the middle of the lane, cycle close to the kerb, we can all share the road. I can use the bus lane I'm picking up a fare, oh I've got a dashcam too blah blah blah.."
    And it got him precisely nowhere. He could have stayed behind all the way to the lights, and he'd still have got through the lights at the same time.

Two things, there is a reason but I cannot articulate it but I don't think financial reward for offences that this would encompass is appropriate.

Secondly, and more importantly, I don't think there is a need for it. At the minute, if I see a driver nearly run over a child on a bike or walking and they drive off, I can report it to the Gardai, in which case it either becomes a I said/they said scenario, which does nothing, or if I am lucky, you get a proper old school Garda who calls around to the house, gives them the info and says, very politely, cop on, as you are on our radar and the next time we will pursue it.

I would use this system as it all of a sudden gets around all of this, there is a qualified, anonymous person who follows up the complaint, impartially, and decides if there is actually an offence to charge. They may even come back and say, well, I know what you mean but that's not an offence and everyone learns. They also then see patterns of behaviour, poor layout, bad design, as well as cumulative data against really problematic drivers who can get their license taken off them before they do anything. As well as this, they can leave the unedited footage run through with ANPR working and pick up the untaxed and uninsured as an aside as well as identifying where and when they are most likely driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Have used a rear facing camera now for the past few weeks. Whenever I review footage of what I thought was a close pass it looks fairly lame, is this a depth perception thing or something with camera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

detones wrote: »
    Have used a rear facing camera now for the past few weeks. Whenever I review footage of what I thought was a close pass it looks fairly lame, is this a depth perception thing or something with camera?

Most action cameras have a wide angle lense which makes it look like the object is further away from the bike, not much you can do unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

LpPepper wrote: »
    Most action cameras have a wide angle lense which makes it look like the object is further away from the bike, not much you can do unfortunately.

the cycliq fly12 forward facing camera allows you to add tramlines to your footage at a width specified by you, but in my experience for it to work correctly you need to have the camera at exactly the right angle, which can be a little awkward to achieve.

Two things, there is a reason but I cannot articulate it but I don't think financial reward for offences that this would encompass is appropriate.

Secondly, and more importantly, I don't think there is a need for it. At the minute, if I see a driver nearly run over a child on a bike or walking and they drive off, I can report it to the Gardai, in which case it either becomes a I said/they said scenario, which does nothing, or if I am lucky, you get a proper old school Garda who calls around to the house, gives them the info and says, very politely, cop on, as you are on our radar and the next time we will pursue it.

I would use this system as it all of a sudden gets around all of this, there is a qualified, anonymous person who follows up the complaint, impartially, and decides if there is actually an offence to charge. They may even come back and say, well, I know what you mean but that's not an offence and everyone learns. They also then see patterns of behaviour, poor layout, bad design, as well as cumulative data against really problematic drivers who can get their license taken off them before they do anything. As well as this, they can leave the unedited footage run through with ANPR working and pick up the untaxed and uninsured as an aside as well as identifying where and when they are most likely driving.

Not to go off topic, but we put quite a bit of thought & research into this. Let's say your average user spots 2 or 3 offences on each commute and gets 10% of each fine, once paid. It would be limited to running red lights, bus lane usage, careless or dangerous driving - things that can be proven by a video. That could amount to €20-€30 per day - very attractive.

Now imagine the effect on behaviour if motorists knew that there was a hidden army of eyes watching and automatically reporting every infraction. it would effectively be a crowdsourced panopticon and would undoubtedly make the roads safer.

Obviously this would require unadulterated video and a secure chain of evidence, but this is all doable with current technology. The main problem is legislation, morality and unintended consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not to go off topic, but we put quite a bit of thought & research into this. Let's say your average user spots 2 or 3 offences on each commute and gets 10% of each fine, once paid. It would be limited to running red lights, bus lane usage, careless or dangerous driving - things that can be proven by a video. That could amount to €20-€30 per day - very attractive.

Now imagine the effect on behaviour if motorists knew that there was a hidden army of eyes watching and automatically reporting every infraction. it would effectively be a crowdsourced panopticon and would undoubtedly make the roads safer.

Obviously this would require unadulterated video and a secure chain of evidence, but this is all doable with current technology. The main problem is legislation, morality and unintended consequences.

China has this.

It leads to ALLLL kinds of **** going on. Like intentionally blocking one lane to force an illegal overtake, brake checking etc.

Don't pay us, just make it easy to do. We've seen that this works with FixYourStreet and the litter projects. Give me an app that lets me post images/video with a typed statement and reg number and have it added to traffic watch after human vetting. Its not rocket science.

Nothing wrong with the idea, I just think the idea of paying someone to act on behalf of the Gardai can be a slippery slope. Acting in a civil minded fashion should be it's own reward. As the level of offences tapers downwards, you then run the risk of people actively looking for offenders which brings it's own problems.
    No need for payment for this, considering the amount of time some put into putting their videos, edited on youtube, I can't see the need for financial reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

No need for payment for this, considering the amount of time some put into putting their videos, edited on youtube, I can't see the need for financial reward.

Advertising revenue from YouTube? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

detones wrote: »

It's a wide angle lens thing, but also a visual judgement thing too. I find that when I review the footage and see a car pass close, I subconsciously judge it based on kerb to vehicle if my wheel isn't in the frame. In some footage I happen to have looked down and can see its Kerb > ~2ft > wheel > ~1ft > car, so it appears the car is 3ft from kerb when you don't have the context of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I took a different route to work this morning, from Portmarnock towards the Malahide road. This takes you on a lot of windy back roads. Had a couple close passes as a result. And for no gain to the passers. Just madness really.

Nothing wrong with the idea, I just think the idea of paying someone to act on behalf of the Gardai can be a slippery slope. Acting in a civil minded fashion should be it's own reward. As the level of offences tapers downwards, you then run the risk of people actively looking for offenders which brings it's own problems.

There's quite a few things wrong with it, but here's a point.

Its going to happen anyway, so would it better if this was in the hands of citizens or the state?

Thats fine for the dedicated minority. Its not enough to make a major dent in behaviour, as we can see.

There's quite a few things wrong with it, but here's a point.

Its going to happen anyway, so would it better if this was in the hands of citizens or the state?
    The state actually but since the state does not have the either the will or the resources to act, then it creates a happy middle place. Evidence is provided by the people as part of their civic mindedness and the state does all the fact checking.

I really think that rewarding this behaviour financially is going to bring more issues than it solves.
    Thats fine for the dedicated minority. Its not enough to make a major dent in behaviour, as we can see.
    I pass (or am passed by) I imagine close to a few 100 cars every morning. If I done nothing except submit the footage for ANPR checks (so not even reporting), considering the leves of uninsured in Ireland, it would pay for itself with not effort from me bar about 1 minute. I don't bother putting stuff up on youtube as I am not arsed, but if I thought there was going to be action from the powers that be, I would put in that 1 minute effort.

Dublin Bus could automate theirs, loads of dash cams around who also would love to see it done.

I think it would be effective, not as quickly as the paid version, but like I said, I have reservations about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

On a narrow road on the way from Tayto park to Cabinhill and a van delivering glass is coming towards me, I had to point out to him that the frame on the side was going to hit me before he moved over

The state actually but since the state does not have the either the will or the resources to act, then it creates a happy middle place. Evidence is provided by the people as part of their civic mindedness and the state does all the fact checking.

I really think that rewarding this behaviour financially is going to bring more issues than it solves.

I pass (or am passed by) I imagine close to a few 100 cars every morning. If I done nothing except submit the footage for ANPR checks (so not even reporting), considering the leves of uninsured in Ireland, it would pay for itself with not effort from me bar about 1 minute. I don't bother putting stuff up on youtube as I am not arsed, but if I thought there was going to be action from the powers that be, I would put in that 1 minute effort.

Dublin Bus could automate theirs, loads of dash cams around who also would love to see it done.

I think it would be effective, not as quickly as the paid version, but like I said, I have reservations about that.

Im not disagreeing with the ethical concerns, Im simply saying that it would work.

We are not far away from a technological, state controlled panopticon, it exists in many spheres already. There is an argument to be made for citizens to seize the reins before they are dragged under the cart.

The main obstacles as I see them are self driving cars, remotely monitored driving systems and/or the demise of motorised private transport altogether due to catastrophic climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

12.00 last Saturday at the Ferryhouse roundabout at the Magners Factory in Clonmel.
    I was going through the roundabout, out exit2, half through, i hear a Artic coming up behind me.
    I straight away knew what he was going to do. He tried to undertake me on the inside(right hand) lane of the roundabout to get out the exit ahead of me.
    As the cab was pulling level with me, i started shouting at him, he realised then that he wouldnt make it, and stopped in the middle of the exit to "allow" me out ahead of him.
    If he hadnt stopped , i would either have had to stop "dead" , or he was going to "collide" with me .....

He then safely overtook me about 100m down the road.
    I took his number , and reported him to his employers. They have been in contact with me to apologise, and to find out further details.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

waiting on the canal cycleway at baggot st bridge yesterday, light has gone green for peds at least 3-4 seconds, still red for cyclists. silver bmw comes tearing up, i actually don't think he even saw the light, only braked when beginning to cross into the ped crossing zone. should have it on camera at home, will try to dig it out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I took a different route to work this morning, from Portmarnock towards the Malahide road. This takes you on a lot of windy back roads. Had a couple close passes as a result. And for no gain to the passers. Just madness really.
    There is never a long term gain either due to the significant danger of such behaviour; unless of course people's preferences are potential collisions with cyclists and the possible consequences which follow from such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some stupid bint in a mini last night. Heading out park gate street, my see sense flashing away, indicating right to head into the Phoenix park. I hate that stretch - motorists treat it like mad max.

There’s a red light at the top of the queue of traffic, she accelerates, close passes me between another car to get to it. Almost clips me. All to get to the red. I pass her on the left - obviously expecting a confrontation, as she’s put down her passenger window.

When the lights go green, she tries to come around my left and undertake me up the hill into the park. Left a roar and she backed up. No manners obviously. Reminded me of this video.

https://youtu.be/5Vb0S3W6yOs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One near miss, one observation. Cycling towards IKEA towards Northwood yesterday and about 20 metres before the road opens up to 2 lanes an idiot buzzed pass at speed with not nearly enough room. I ended up beside them at 2 sets of lights. Told them to give more room or wait in future, and they complained I was out from the kerb. ffs. Camera died about 5 mins before it.

Out cycling today and given the conditions, I wasn't sure what to expect but no issues and great patience from every driver for 3 hours. I did notice however that a few drivers gave puddles a wider berth than they gave me. Also had 2 guys stop to ask if I was okay when I'd pulled into a side road to check something.

Must be the day for concerned drivers, had a fella stop earlier and ask if I was OK when I was stopped at the gate of a field after a wee break. I thanked him for taking the time to stop though. Some faith in humanity restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Cycled down and up the quays in Dublin yesterday which would be an extremely rare event and the entire trip can only be described s a near miss. :eek:

It's easier to see why motorists hate cyclists and vice versa though when in the middle of the city.

All in it was probably cyclists that were most annoying if I'm honest.
    • City bikes flying out of lanes without looking
    • cyclists on footpaths
    • Those red lights clearly cary little weight
    • the few that stopped about 20' passed the ASL only to catch and pass them only to repeat the previous

As for cycling infrastructure what is there is more dangerous than nothing at all it actually leads cyclists into weaving between lanes if not from one side to the other.

All in I envy the ability to cycle to work but not the cycling in the city.

In saying all of that I got off the train down home set off down the road in the lashing rain when a taxi side swiped me not even 500m later and down we go. The leaves broke my fall :D No arguements from the taxi man I was lit up like a christmas tree with hump gilet and ironically RSA back pack cover :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

A compilation of clips from the start of this month. The last clip was probably the worst, from Monday, considering reporting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement