Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

That white van caused me to swear and I'm only watching a video.

I'll continue to watch and add more in here if needed.

Edit: I thought that was bad until I saw the VW Golf. Kept back, then lost patience.

The taxi driver was just a tool. No surprise there.

Then the truck at the end, approaching traffic calming into Baldoyle. You were remarkably restrained.

I advise taking the whole lot into the Gardai. Shockingly bad to watch. You're probably immune to most of it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Is that the SAME car in clips 2 & 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

droidus wrote: »
    Is that the SAME car in clips 2 & 3?

Yep. Must live in Portmarnock somewhere, I looked up the company, some medical device company. Maybe I'd get to use one of their xray machines when he runs me over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Take just the ones from the forward facing camera. Speed up the footage to 2x. Show it to a driver education course. Listen to the squeals of "OH SH!!"

That's how it feels for the cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Maybe you should report him and contact the company. He clearly does it all the time.

Some potentially serious incidents there. I used to cycle Sutton-Portmarnock at night occasionally, that road always terrified me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

A compilation of clips from the start of this month. The last clip was probably the worst, from Monday, considering reporting it.

With a title like "Close Pass Compilation Autumn 2018" you must have a close pass from a Delorean in there! :P :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it says 2017 for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

it says 2017 for me?

I knew I should have gotten a screenshot before it was ninja edited on Youtube! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

No doubting that the chap on the bike was using lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

A compilation of clips from the start of this month. The last clip was probably the worst, from Monday, considering reporting it.

I thought the taxi was the worst tbh, close pass overtake and then braking. Was he just screwing around or was there a reason to brake?

Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I thought the taxi was the worst tbh, close pass overtake and then braking. Was he just screwing around or was there a reason to brake?

Scary stuff.

I dunno, the HGV made be take a sharp breath :eek: They're all dreadful, what a pity there is no central place we can send these too. That would make a great TV ad.. I'm glad to know I"m not the only one who curses at the offenders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I dunno, the HGV made be take a sharp breath :eek: They're all dreadful, what a pity there is no central place we can send these too. That would make a great TV ad.. I'm glad to know I"m not the only one who curses at the offenders!!

On the central place part, has anyone sent in a video to the RSA, asking them to use the video in their road safety ads? There must be somebody in the RSA who thinks beyond just hi-vis and crappy lights?
    I know there was some staged footage in ads a while back about giving cyclists space, but some real footage might be more shocking and actually make people realise the severity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Heading down the quays last night, outside Messrs Maguires. taxi undertakes me, then whips across in front of me, almost hitting me. He got to a red before me, so I suppose it was worth it. Didn't bother engaging. He even looked like a dope, bless him.

Had another numb nuts tail gate me almost the entire length of the bus / bike lane from O'Connell Bridge to past the Ha'penny Bridge. Eventually, the penny dropped and he used the vacant traffic lane to his right, accelerating sharply and ignoring the 30 kph limit.

Heading out through the Phoenix Park, stopped at the Castleknock Gates. Small queue of cars behind me. Our light went green, but one, two, three then a fourth car squeezed through on a red coming the opposite way. Important business I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

On the central place part, has anyone sent in a video to the RSA, asking them to use the video in their road safety ads? There must be somebody in the RSA who thinks beyond just hi-vis and crappy lights?
    I know there was some staged footage in ads a while back about giving cyclists space, but some real footage might be more shocking and actually make people realise the severity of it.

I've contacted them before asking if they'd consider producing vests & back pack covers with cyclist specific messages. The reply I got was abysmal, basically telling me the rules of the road for cyclists so I'd be loath to contact them again. There may well be people in there that think beyond hi-vis but finding them might not be that easy!!

Scary stuff.

No real reason that I can think of, probably just because that stretch of road is so narrow. That is my alternative route to town, there were other close passes on that day too... not ideal.
    cython wrote: »
    With a title like "Close Pass Compilation Autumn 2018" you must have a close pass from a Delorean in there! :P :pac:

You caught me! Ninja edit indeed. :D
    droidus wrote: »
    Maybe you should report him and contact the company. He clearly does it all the time.

Some potentially serious incidents there. I used to cycle Sutton-Portmarnock at night occasionally, that road always terrified me.

Not going down the route of contacting employers etc, not worth the stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Your stress or theirs? You might find it more productive than going to the gardai. Some nutcase in a van with the company name all over it years ago said he'd be at me with a knife next time he saw me. I rang the company when I got into the office, asked for the fleet manager or similar. I got the distinct impression that whoever I spoke to knew exactly who I was talking about and it wasn't the first time they've come to their attention. And that's it, no need for further discussion or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

That is my alternative route to town

Is the other route any safer?

Is the other route any safer?

Both have plus and minus points. Neither great.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Your stress or theirs? You might find it more productive than going to the gardai. Some nutcase in a van with the company name all over it years ago said he'd be at me with a knife next time he saw me. I rang the company when I got into the office, asked for the fleet manager or similar. I got the distinct impression that whoever I spoke to knew exactly who I was talking about and it wasn't the first time they've come to their attention. And that's it, no need for further discussion or anything like that.

My stress. To be honest, most of these passes I would wager are due to pure ignorance from the drivers. Not necessarily malicious, just morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

this morning, coming along Serpentine Avenue in Ballsbridge an Audi A3 quite slowly overtook me as we approached the level crossing, with a car coming against us. I could feel her gradually squeezing closer as the oncoming car and the crossing (wet slippery tracks and all came closer). needless to say she didn't bat an eyelid when I shouted and gestured.

I got to the next lights that she'd reached a few seconds before me and again went to (politely) make her aware of my existence...she was far too busy on her phone to notice anyone. when the lights went green and she was overtaking me as we headed out the Merrion road, she was still primarily focused on her phone. am really hoping the camera picked it up...

• Advertisement

this morning, coming along Serpentine Avenue in Ballsbridge an Audi A3 quite slowly overtook me as we approached the level crossing, with a car coming against us. I could feel her gradually squeezing closer as the oncoming car and the crossing (wet slippery tracks and all came closer). needless to say she didn't bat an eyelid when I shouted and gestured.

I got to the next lights that she'd reached a few seconds before me and again went to (politely) make her aware of my existence...she was far too busy on her phone to notice anyone. when the lights went green and she was overtaking me as we headed out the Merrion road, she was still primarily focused on her phone. am really hoping the camera picked it up...

Nothing worse than the slow overtake, I fear them most of all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am loving the Wexford bus driver who has taken to beeping at me while in the cycle lane. It has just happened a few times where I am overtaking another cyclist, where the path widens, but I am still inside of it. He cuts close to the edge and beeps the horn at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Nothing worse than the slow overtake, I fear them most of all.

There is! narrow car, towing a WIDE trailer! (while driver is texting) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Sometimes it works.

see a recent interaction of mine with a haulage company.

Good morning.

I reported one of your lorries/drivers to Trafficwatch this morning for dangerous (and unnecessary) overtaking. About 8.15 heading towards the Eastlink in Dublin from southside.
    Overtook myself and another cyclist (who was ahead of me by about 10metres) at high speed blowing the horn and forcing the oncoming traffic to pull over. Only to come to a stop 100 metres up the road when he got to the queue at the toll. I cycle that road twice a day and never have issues with trucks. Most of them would never bother overtaking as there is always a delay at the toll anyway.You really need to have a word with him before he causes a serous accident.

and a reply

Hi xxx
    I apologise on behalf of xxx Transport Ltd and I can assure you that we do not condone this type of behaviour in any circumstances. I have checked our tracking system but we had a number of trucks in the area at that particular time. I would be grateful if you could let me have the reg or any other information that would help me identify the vehicle concerned so that I can address this incident with the driver involved. Again, I apologise and assure you that we take this type of incident very seriously as it is in nobody's interest to ignore them.
    Thanks for letting me know and I hope you have a nice day.

Thanks xxx
    I’ll see what was going through his head, it definitely wasn’t that he was being put under pressure by us. We’ll address the incident with him face to face when he returns to base this afternoon, I’m not sure how far I’ll get as this guy handed in his notice this week and is leaving the country on Wednesday.
    Again apologies
    Regards,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nice to get an apparently honest response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Stress ??
    You either ring the company, or as i did email them about their driver.
    I recieved a very (seemingly) apologetic reply, and they asked for all details so they could follow it up.
    I have not contacted them again yet to see has anything happened , but i will do.
    Stress - No . Why 'leave them away with it' , Feck that !! :mad:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

greenspurs wrote: »
    Stress ??
    You either ring the company, or as i did email them about their driver.
    I recieved a very (seemingly) apologetic reply, and they asked for all details so they could follow it up.
    I have not contacted them again yet to see has anything happened , but i will do.
    Stress - No . Why 'leave them away with it' , Feck that !! :mad:

agreed, i would find the close passes far more stressful than taking that kind of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Any employers I have contacted ( 3 so far ) have been very cooperative and have taken action.

One company owner was a cycling enthusiast himself and was shocked at the video- but very appreciative.

If one of their drivers kills or injure someone their insurance goes through the roof. So it is in their interest , this is why so many of them have "how my driving " numbers on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

http://road.cc/content/news/231312-near-miss-day-46-police-invite-submission-footage

Police seem decent on the other side of the pond:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Check out this gob****e.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishRail/status/923176062548348928?s=08

I cycle through here everyday and you get the odd muppet hopping over the barrier but this is something else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement