Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We really need a few high PR prosecutions to try and slow these Darwin Award applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

5uspect wrote: »
    Check out this gob****e.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishRail/status/923176062548348928?s=08

I cycle through here everyday and you get the odd muppet hopping over the barrier but this is something else.

actually looking at the end part again, it looks like someone is straddling the back standing up on the rear wheel (or sitting further back on the saddle)?

Looks like a kid in a grey hoodie now.

So gob****es if you please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

here's my Serpentine Avenue close pass from earlier. unfortunately the rear camera doesn't pick her up on the phone at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

here's my Serpentine Avenue close pass from earlier. unfortunately the rear camera doesn't pick her up on the phone at any point.

I misread that as "Serpentine pass" initially... certainly seemed to slink by you like a snake

Thought it was a very apt term to use, so thanks for coining that accidentally ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Today in **** drivers, on the Malahide Rd. between the roundabout and Mayfield Park in Artane, van pulls out of a parking spot with no lights on, no indicator, had no idea the engine was even running, just takes off so had to swerve to not cycle straight into him. Was still fairly dark at this point. Got up to the next set of lights where he switches into the bus lane right on top of me, had to shout at him because I thought I was going to get knocked off my bike. Absolute clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Nothing worse than the slow overtake, I fear them most of all.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    There is! narrow car, towing a WIDE trailer!

Had this yesterday on Custom House Quay heading west on a Dublin Bike (just before where the bus lane starts on the right hand side before you get to Matt Talbot Bridge). Guy in an SUV passed me and cut left in front of me into the traffic lane (UK reg - reckon he was just off the ferry). He had obviously forgotten he was pulling a huge enclosed trailer which almost wiped me out. I was in the centre of the lane so had plenty of room to bail left thank God. He stopped about 20m further on in traffic and I politely asked him to be more mindful of the large trailer he was dragging behind him lest he take someone out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had someone drive up the wrong way on the north quays in Dublin this morning, took a left coming off the James Joyce Bridge. Did a U-Turn and headed back the right way. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Not a near miss for me!

RTE Player 'Trauma - EP3' if anyone wants to watch it, guy knocked off bike, lucky got off lightly with bruising on the brain due to him not wearing a helmet. I see people day in day out without it.

Guys, always wear a helmet!

On a side note, I literally cannot believe watching that program the sorry state of affairs in our health service, when trauma patient can't even get a trolley, they had to use the ambulance trolley. If RTE sell that program to Sky or a UK carrier that's extremely embarrassing.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Not a near miss for me!

RTE Player 'Trauma - EP3' if anyone wants to watch it, guy knocked off bike, lucky got off lightly with bruising on the brain due to him not wearing a helmet. I see people day in day out without it.

Guys, always wear a helmet!

We have a thread for that, but just FYI:
    https://momentummag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/graph1.jpg

Said as somebody who's landed head first sans helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Nearly got taken out of it by a bus at the IFSC metal bridge along he quay. I was behind another cyclist and the bus decided he was going to squeeze both of us out of it. I honestly didn't think he'd go for it as he appeared to be sitting back. Further on he started moving into the bike lane again and I rapped the door to let him know that if he looked to his left I was there. He gave me the fingers. I may have it on the cameras. In my 88km cycle today, this incident caused the highest spike in my heart rate...168 bpm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nearly got taken out of it by a bus at the IFSC metal bridge along he quay. I was behind another cyclist and the bus decided he was going to squeeze both of us out of it. I honestly didn't think he'd go for it as he appeared to be sitting back. Further on he started moving into the bike lane again and I rapped the door to let him know that if he looked to his left I was there. He gave me the fingers. I may have it on the cameras. In my 88km cycle today, this incident caused the highest spike in my heart rate...168 bpm!

That area can be lethal alright as it narrows dramatically approaching the bridge. Shocking place for a vehicle that size trying to pass you. As a matter of interest was it a coach as opposed to Dublin Bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

a coach overtook me coming over Baggot st bridge this morning, then kindly proceeded to squeeze into the cycle lane alongside me. cue stopping at the lights 30-40 metres up the road for an amazing time saving for the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Punish passed by some prick today in Ballycoolin, literally by couple inches, right in front of oncoming garda car.
    Tried to flag Garga down, but he was too busy talking on his phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

twinsen wrote: »
    Punish passed by some prick today in Ballycoolin, literally by couple inches, right in front of oncoming garda car.

The irony of that. The amount of Garda that drive while on the phone is unreal. If it’s anythibg like those on foot patrol, most of the use is personal.

Little wins (Video isnt mine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

twinsen wrote: »
    What time was this at and on which road?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

What time was this at and on which road?

Cruiserath Road (Ballycoolin), around 2.40 pm Yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Dublin Bus manages to cut off a bunch of cyclists this morning;

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Dublin Bus manages to cut off a bunch of cyclists this morning;

the guy in yellow was trapped, but the two guys behind saw a bus in front of them indicating to pull into a stop and thought "I'll have a bit of that!" :rolleyes:

(and then nobody could wait the ten seconds for the bus to pull out - it's up on the path we go!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

RayCun wrote: »
    the guy in yellow was trapped, but the two guys behind saw a bus in front of them indicating to pull into a stop and thought "I'll have a bit of that!" :rolleyes:

(and then nobody could wait the ten seconds for the bus to pull out - it's up on the path we go!)

The bus driver accelerated infront of cyclist with the camera, and all the other cyclists there, and then pulled in infront of them. Seriously reckless and dangerous driving. Also if you care to notice, the one cyclist that mounts the path tries to have a word with the bus driver before the doors are shut on him.
    We need less bus drivers like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bus pulled in on top of the bunch on the cyclists from the guy in yellow onwards. Guy in red should have held back but that's no excuse for what the driver of the bus did in the first place.

papu wrote: »
    The bus driver accelerated infront of cyclist with the camera, and all the other cyclists there, and then pulled in infront of them. Seriously reckless and dangerous driving. Also if you care to notice, the one cyclist that mounts the path tries to have a word with the bus driver before the doors are shut on him.
    We need less bus drivers like this.

It looks to me like the driver stopped before pulling in so the cyclists on his inside could get in front of him. Apart from the guy in yellow, and the two guys who saw a gap and decided to cycle into it.

The driver did overtake a bunch of cyclists, but surely it is okay for faster-moving vehicles to overtake slower vehicles? As long as you don't then pull in or turn left cutting off the people you just passed, which it looks like the driver didn't do - apart from the guy in yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

It looks to me like the driver stopped before pulling in so the cyclists on his inside could get in front of him. Apart from the guy in yellow, and the two guys who saw a gap and decided to cycle into it.

The driver did overtake a bunch of cyclists, but surely it is okay for faster-moving vehicles to overtake slower vehicles? As long as you don't then pull in or turn left cutting off the people you just passed, which it looks like the driver didn't do - apart from the guy in yellow.

Overtaking slower moving vehicles only to stop up in front of them as quickly as was done here is a dick move, plain and simple, and pulling up alongside the cyclists to try and push through to the kerb is intimidation pure and simple. Genuinely doubt the bus gained any more time than they would have by sitting behind the cyclists (unless there were 20 more behind and out of frame) due to having to let the cyclists on their inside clear, and the cyclists they had overtaken about 5 secs previous were then left with the choice of stopping because of his impatience, or overtaking. The former is obnoxious, the latter results in a multitude of added risks that could have been avoided by the bus driver being even remotely patient.

There's basically next to no difference between this kind of driving and the chumps on the M50 who speed down the overtaking lanes and drop anchor to swerve left for their exit at the last minute, causing traffic driving in the correct lane to have to slow for their ignorance and stupidity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Im sorry, the last 2 there are idiots there. The bus was clearly indicating and far enough ahead of them that they should've stopped or gone to it's right.

cython wrote: »
    Overtaking slower moving vehicles only to stop up in front of them as quickly as was done here is a dick move, plain and simple, and pulling up alongside the cyclists to try and push through to the kerb is intimidation pure and simple. Genuinely doubt the bus gained any more time than they would have by sitting behind the cyclists (unless there were 20 more behind and out of frame) due to having to let the cyclists on their inside clear,

What do you suggest a bus driver should do?

Wait until there are no bikes behind before moving to the stop? There could be a steady stream of cyclists coming down the street, and if all of them see a gap as an invitation the bus would never be able to pull in.

Not overtake slower bikes, because if you then pull in to a stop it is a dick move?

The law on undertaking, if I remember correctly, is that you can undertake stationary traffic as long as it isn't indicating left. So if a driver wants to pull in, they let the traffic already on their inside go by, and then the traffic behind them stops to let them pull in. Apart from the guy in yellow, it looks like the driver did let the traffic on his inside go by, it was the two cyclists behind pulling the dick move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Seriously, how could anybody tolerate that noise from their bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

What do you suggest a bus driver should do?

Wait until there are no bikes behind before moving to the stop? There could be a steady stream of cyclists coming down the street, and if all of them see a gap as an invitation the bus would never be able to pull in.

Not overtake slower bikes, because if you then pull in to a stop it is a dick move?
    As I conceded, without knowing what the view behind was here, it's difficult to say what the absolutely correct move was. However given that the video started at the previous set of traffic lights, and the time that the bus took to get ahead, it seems likely there was no gain out of the overtake, so it put cyclists at risk, and to what end? That is the core of what makes it a dick move to me.
    The law on undertaking, if I remember correctly, is that you can undertake stationary traffic as long as it isn't indicating left. So if a driver wants to pull in, they let the traffic already on their inside go by, and then the traffic behind them stops to let them pull in. Apart from the guy in yellow, it looks like the driver did let the traffic on his inside go by, it was the two cyclists behind pulling the dick move.

The law also says to give way to traffic already in the lane when changing lane. Here, however, the bus driver actually forced the cyclist in yellow to pull left by pulling in on top of them regardless - take a look from 30 secs onwards. Add to that the fact that the cyclists that are nearly trapped on the LHS of the bus don't actually know the bus is going to let them proceed before completely pulling in (no shortage of times where it doesn't happen), and it's intimidating driving.

I don't contest the fact that the cyclists following him up the inside of the bus were clowns - they absolutely were! However I would expect a so-called professional driver to be able to read the road ahead of him/her before overtaking, and be able to identify that the overtake is about endanger people because they are going to have to pull in before they have fully passed all the traffic they are overtaking. This driver failed in that simple aspect. It is only compounded by the fact that had they not overtaken they would probably have been just as quick, and it would have been safer for all concerned. For example, because of the line the driver had to take, the bus is not tight against the kerb and had to leave a gap. While cyclists should not overtake in that situation, as can be seen here many of them will, which puts passengers at risk too.

I don't think guessing how much time a manoeuvre would save is useful. If something is a bad idea, it remains a bad idea even if it saves you five minutes.
    The law also says to give way to traffic already in the lane when changing lane.

It looks to me like the driver did. The angle is not great, you can't see the left of the bus in detail, but it looks like the driver signalled to pull in, let the bikes inside him get out, and then pulled in.

The exception is the guy in yellow, who should have been allowed proceed too because he was inside the bus already. But it isn't clear to me from the video whether the guy in yellow stopped because he had to or because he decided to let the bus pull in. Hard to tell because of the two guys behind him who absolutely should have stopped, but didn't.

I'm more shocked that the taxi at the end actually indicated :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It looks to me like the driver did. The angle is not great, you can't see the left of the bus in detail, but it looks like the driver signalled to pull in, let the bikes inside him get out, and then pulled in.
    He really didn't. "Give way" doesn't mean "find a gap and squeeze in front".
    From his initial overtake he was in the wrong. He moved into the bus lane without yielding to the bikes in the Bus Lane and then moved into the cycle lane without yielding to bikes in that lane.

The appropriate thing for him to have done is wait behind the bikes, move left so as to block the cycle lane and prevent anyone from overtaking on his left, and then stop at the bus stop. He gained absolutely nothing from what he did, he just put people at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement