Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

RayCun wrote: »
    Wait until there are no bikes behind before moving to the stop?
    Yep.
    Not overtake slower bikes, because if you then pull in to a stop it is a dick move?
    Precisely.

If those had been cars on the inside the bus driver wouldn't have pulled in on top of them.

Road etiquette. It's really not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm more shocked that the taxi at the end actually indicated :eek:

Must be new to the job....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

seamus wrote: »
    The appropriate thing for him to have done is wait behind the bikes, move left so as to block the cycle lane and prevent anyone from overtaking on his left, and then stop at the bus stop
    Agreed, and legal since (not least) it's a non-mandatory cycle lane.

But that manoeuvre would need to be done very sloooowly and carefully so as to avoid side-swiping the cyclists.

And if he wasn't in such a rush then he could have performed the manoeuvre he did make, just slower. And that would have been fine too.

Although I'd still put money on a load of cyclists undertaking a left-indicating bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I don't think guessing how much time a manoeuvre would save is useful. If something is a bad idea, it remains a bad idea even if it saves you five minutes.
    Agreed, but you were the one who raised the question of whether a bus driver should wait behind as an alternative, so I'm suggesting that if the driver gained no time out of the overtake, then it was an absolutely pointless manoeuvre, and so they absolutely should wait behind in that situation:
    What do you suggest a bus driver should do?

Wait until there are no bikes behind before moving to the stop? There could be a steady stream of cyclists coming down the street, and if all of them see a gap as an invitation the bus would never be able to pull in.

Not overtake slower bikes, because if you then pull in to a stop it is a dick move?

Note, this is not by any stretch to suggest that they should always wait behind cyclists, that would obviously be folly, but if there is no net benefit to be gained from a given manoeuvre, and there are risks associated with it, then it doesn't make sense to perform it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is a rare thing to find a thread or comment on social media that has more than 20 posts where the following is not an appropriate response.
    NSFW in regards vocals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    NSFW in regards vocals
    I like the idea that there's a workplace where it's OK to listen to lounge music on your speakers but only if there's no swearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Just had a near miss myself. Popped out to put petrol in the car. On my way back from Rolestown to Swords and I had to come to a complete stop in the road to let the daftie overtaking a cyclist round a blind left hander at speed in the dark get to his or her own side of the road.
    Couldn't even be arsed to sound the horn. Would only have bothered the cyclist in any case, who wasn't to blame in any way. I'm not shaken or angry, but I do feel strangely tired after it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, i had one of my worst near misses in the recent past on that road about two months ago - joined the road at the junction just at roganstown, turned right towards ashbourne, and only about 200m further along on a blind bend, a van overtook me and had to pull hard back in because of oncoming traffic. hard to say how close he came, but definitely less than two foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Been a quiet few weeks but this one today scared the absolute p*ss out of me :o

The flatbed was about 4-5 inches from my elbow, didn't see or hear it coming at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Danbo! wrote: »

The flatbed was about 4-5 inches from my elbow, didn't see or hear it coming at all.

That's one for the Gardaí. Clear and obvious dangerous driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Madness - were you able to read the company name off the front door on the original video?

Madness - were you able to read the company name off the front door on the original video?

I passed him again up the road so I'll have it on the rest of the video, some scaffolding company. I've reported to companies/gardai before and gotten nowhere, hard to motivate yourself when it's unlikely to do anything, but may send it to the company in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I passed him again up the road so I'll have it on the rest of the video, some scaffolding company. I've reported to companies/gardai before and gotten nowhere, hard to motivate yourself when it's unlikely to do anything, but may send it to the company in the morning.

Yeah, reporting to companies can be hit and miss, and reporting to Gardai is a fairly painful process, with hit and miss results. Social media can help too - you're not on your own with stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From experience traffic watch is slow but does eventually get there. That lad is driving for work so is endangering everyone else far more than the 30 minute commuter. Please report it (1890 205 805 or cheaper at 094 905 1131, 094 904 9400 )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

It looked like the cnut in the flatbed decided to squeeze in on top of you, because the white van man was overtaking him....... :mad::mad::mad:

"aah shur tis only a bleedin cyclist ..... " CNUTS

OHH , and dont let him get off, report him to gardai and his job !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    It looked like the cnut in the flatbed decided to squeeze in on top of you, because the white van man was overtaking him....... :mad::mad::mad:

"aah shur tis only a bleedin cyclist ..... " CNUTS

OHH , and dont let him get off, report him to gardai and his job !

Got the company name and registration from later in the video when I passed him again. Video emailed to company, reporting to traffic watch this evening.

I had to give up on my last TW report even though the Garda was very interested, after re-watching the above this morning, I aint letting this one go though.

Taxi drivers of Dublin, you’ve proven yourselves again as a bunch of reckless tw@ts.

I must take this opportunity firstly to apologise the both taxi drivers who close passed me on the south quays earlier, one ball bag almost hitting me in the newly installed bike / bus lane leading from O’connell bridge. And the lane beside him was clear, so completely unnecessary.

Obviously, a 180 lumen rear strobe, hi vis bag cover and reflective details on my jersey were not enough for the first dim wit to see me. Passed me with about an inch to spare, well in excess of the 30 kph limit.

Not to be outdone, the next spa I came across undertook me on the left at the entrance Phoenix park, cutting across right in front of me, swerving to enter the park. The cars coming the opposite way were just as startled as me, having to break to avoid him.

Both reckless manoeuvres despite me being surrounded by about €200 worth of lights. Sorry again lads. I’ll invest a few quid in better gear so you can see me the next time. Oh and a camera as well. Looking forward to clearing out someone’s no claim bonus if you’re unlucky enough to hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Taxi drivers of Dublin, you’ve proven yourselves again as a bunch of reckless tw@ts.

I must take this opportunity firstly to apologise the both taxi drivers who close passed me on the south quays earlier, one ball bag almost hitting me in the newly installed bike / bus lane leading from O’connell bridge. And the lane beside him was clear, so completely unnecessary.

Obviously, a 180 lumen rear strobe, hi vis bag cover and reflective details on my jersey were not enough for the first dim wit to see me. Passed me with about an inch to spare, well in excess of the 30 kph limit.

Not to be outdone, the next spa I came across undertook me on the left at the entrance Phoenix park, cutting across right in front of me, swerving to enter the park. The cars coming the opposite way were just as startled as me, having to break to avoid him.

Both reckless manoeuvres despite me being surrounded by about €200 worth of lights. Sorry again lads. I’ll invest a few quid in better gear so you can see me the next time. Oh and a camera as well. Looking forward to clearing out someone’s no claim bonus if you’re unlucky enough to hit me.

They don’t care. Don’t you know the rest of us use the roads at a concession from them that think they own the road and can do what they want. Sure, what’s your problem mate, you don’t even pay motor tax! :-D

Get the camera! It pi$$es them off when you tell them you have their crappy driving skills recorded!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Just had a near miss myself. Popped out to put petrol in the car. On my way back from Rolestown to Swords and I had to come to a complete stop in the road to let the daftie overtaking a cyclist round a blind left hander at speed in the dark get to his or her own side of the road.
    Couldn't even be arsed to sound the horn. Would only have bothered the cyclist in any case, who wasn't to blame in any way. I'm not shaken or angry, but I do feel strangely tired after it.

Carbon copy of this happened to me last night coming down from Tower road on to the Strawberry beds. Mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Driving on N4 this morning in the inside car lane - traffic flowing slowly.
    Car illegally driving in the bus lane and speeding overtakes cyclist and doesn't give him much room (I know because I could hear the car driving over the cat eyes to get past him).

Absolutely ridiculous driving.
    Hope the cyclist didn't get too much of a fright.
    Was hoping I'd get the reg of the car but he disappeared off up the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Pat Kenny just had a piece on new learner driving restrictions and was reading out texts just after it. Straight to stereotype, Finbar the taxi driver texted in to ask "whatabout the cyclists, you don't hear the RSA discuss them", apropos to nothing that was previously discussed. You gotta laugh at some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Nice but cold morning on Sunday, was spinning up to Howth summit from the village. We were 2 abreast but as close to the path as possible, when a unique looking vintage car passed me and was centimetres from hitting me. I let a roar and a wave but he continued on his way.

At the summit car park who did I see sitting in his car rolling a cigarette (was obviously in a huge rush when he overtook me), so I approached his window and asked him why he felt the need to pass me in such a dangerous manner. This lovely gentleman kept asking why we wanted to hold hands while cycling up the hill. When I pointed out that he very nearly knocked me off my bike he replied with "I wish I had knocked you off". Lovely.

Raging that I didn't think to take a picture of his number plate and go back to Howth Garda station, I was too shocked. And I don't use a camera but might have to reconsider if I come across his like again.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Pat Kenny just had a piece on new learner driving restrictions and was reading out texts just after it. Straight to stereotype, Finbar the taxi driver texted in to ask "whatabout the cyclists, you don't hear the RSA discuss them", apropos to nothing that was previously discussed. You gotta laugh at some of them.

Taxi drivers have absolutely zero right to comment on cyclists. By far the most dangerous category of drivers, in my own experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Taxi drivers have absolutely zero right to comment on cyclists. By far the most dangerous category of drivers, in my own experience anyway.

I'm sure there are plenty of decent taxi drivers too, however I seem to see mainly twats myself. I was walking down Georges street about an hour ago. I didn't see the prior incident with the cyclist but he was having a conversation with a taxi driver at the junction going onto Dame Street. The words out of the mouth of the driver who was only one I could hear due to his aggressive tone was - "Well what the **** are you doing in the middle of the road you ****ing useless p***k, you shouldn't be allowed on the road. "
    He then preceded to say while he was laughing(bare in mind this was possibly the ugliest and most unhealthy man I have ever seen, so seeing him mocking laughing was an eye sorer to say the least) " Look at you there, you are shaking and scared off me you F***ing F*G*OT" . This happened outside the George by the way and plenty of peds just looking at him in disgust. I'd say it would have been an effort for him to get out of the car let alone try and throw a punch at the cyclist.

I'm sure there are plenty of decent taxi drivers too, however I seem to see mainly twats myself. I was walking down Georges street about an hour ago. I didn't see the prior incident with the cyclist but he was having a conversation with a taxi driver at the junction going onto Dame Street. The words out of the mouth of the driver who was only one I could hear due to his aggressive tone was - "Well what the **** are you doing in the middle of the road you ****ing useless p***k, you shouldn't be allowed on the road. "
    He then preceded to say while he was laughing(bare in mind this was possibly the ugliest and most unhealthy man I have ever seen, so seeing him mocking laughing was an eye sorer to say the least) " Look at you there, you are shaking and scared off me you F***ing F*G*OT" . This happened outside the George by the way and plenty of peds just looking at him in disgust. I'd say it would have been an effort for him to get out of the car let alone try and throw a punch at the cyclist.

In my own experience, any taxi driver I've interacted with after they've behaved dangerously around me has been 100% abusive and negative. Last one was some slob with one of those stupid looking bluetooth ear phones on the quays a few weeks back - tail gated me about 3 inches behind me in heavy traffic (I was taking primary), he was actually finding the whole thing hilarious and I tried to gesture to turn right, then tried to overtake me when I was signalling right to get across at Kings Bridge.

So I generally ignore now. Center of the bus lane and being beeped? Don't care. Taking off from the lights center of the lane and being beeped? Don't care. If you can't drive responsibly and civilly around me, then I'm going to cut down the opportunity of you ruining my day. The guy last night obviously thought he was teaching me a lesson by almost tipping me over. Camera will sort this out and I'll follow it up with a day in court.

In my almost 10 years back on Dublin's roads cycling, I've never had one apologise. Even for crazy maneuvers that would get them a day in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

marvin80 wrote: »
    Driving on N4 this morning in the inside car lane - traffic flowing slowly.
    Car illegally driving in the bus lane and speeding overtakes cyclist and doesn't give him much room (I know because I could hear the car driving over the cat eyes to get past him).

Absolutely ridiculous driving.
    Hope the cyclist didn't get too much of a fright.
    Was hoping I'd get the reg of the car but he disappeared off up the road.

While the driver of the car is an idiot, there is a cycle path on the n4 and a cycle bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

In my almost 10 years back on Dublin's roads cycling, I've never had one apologise. Even for crazy maneuvers that would get them a day in court.

I got an apologetic wave from one last Monday after he pulled out in front of me and made a u-turn in front of Jurys Christchurch Hotel.

Just about every other interaction has been negative though.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

This morning in Phoenix park.

30 minutes later I was cut of but some prick on the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

purcela wrote: »
    This lovely gentleman kept asking why we wanted to hold hands while cycling up the hill. When I pointed out that he very nearly knocked me off my bike he replied with "I wish I had knocked you off". Lovely.

I really admire your restraint there after such an awful comment and attitude.

I would have really struggled to stay calm myself if somebody said that to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

twinsen wrote: »
    This morning in Phoenix park.

30 minutes later I was cut of but some prick on the roundabout

I was driving the kids to the inlaws yesterday morning, road is 2 lanes so I was on the inside lane for going straight, van on outside lane tries to cut in, so i beep, then indicates and starts to cut across me for third exit, I blew him out of it before he crashed into the side of the car where my kid was.

People cannot drive on roundabouts in Ireland, so the only rule is expect the worst thing possible!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement