Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I was driving the kids to the inlaws yesterday morning, road is 2 lanes so I was on the inside lane for going straight, van on outside lane tries to cut in, so i beep, then indicates and starts to cut across me for third exit, I blew him out of it before he crashed into the side of the car where my kid was.

People cannot drive on roundabouts in Ireland, so the only rule is expect the worst thing possible!!

FYP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was driving the kids to the inlaws yesterday morning, road is 2 lanes so I was on the inside lane for going straight, van on outside lane tries to cut in, so i beep, then indicates and starts to cut across me for third exit, I blew him out of it before he crashed into the side of the car where my kid was.

People cannot drive on roundabouts in Ireland, so the only rule is expect the worst thing possible!!

People like that deserve to be banned and be shafted insurance wise as that was entirely avoidable by the sounds of it and criminally negligent.

Hope all are okay, and assume it's with the gardai now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

" Look at you there, you are shaking and scared off me you F***ing F*G*OT" . This happened outside the George by the way and plenty of peds just looking at him in disgust. I'd say it would have been an effort for him to get out of the car let alone try and throw a punch at the cyclist.

I had similar a few years ago where a van went through a yield sign and I raised my hands up in disbelief. He handbraked, got out of the van and grabbed me by my rainbow scarf and gave a similar diatribe. It was odd, because for a second I said to myself, just do it, I love an old hate crime, I may suffer but you'll spend the next few years stewing over it in jail.

Thankfully he didn't, as it is Ireland, he would have got a suspended sentence or a warning and I would have ended up in hospital for a few months possibly with issues that would affect the rest of my life.

Cycled through town yesterday, it is a jungle, cars, cyclists, vans, pedestrians, not all but a noticveable number from each group were shocking that they are let out for the day on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cycled through town yesterday, it is a jungle, cars, cyclists, vans, pedestrians, not all but a noticveable number from each group were shocking that they are let out for the day on their own.

Yesterday was horrendous due to the train strike with many people who are not used to driving/cycling in town or elsewhere on the road

Had a couple of iffy moments myself on what is normally an uneventful journey, put it down to other people being tired/impatient due to spending a lot longer behind the wheel than on a normal day to get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yesterday was horrendous due to the train strike with many people who are not used to driving/cycling in town or elsewhere on the road

Had a couple of iffy moments myself on what is normally an uneventful journey, put it down to other people being tired/impatient due to spending a lot longer behind the wheel than on a normal day to get home

I actually really enjoyed yesterday, yes it was bonkers in terms of traffic, but it helped me appreciate my commute time is pretty much constant no matter what. Terrible for train commuters, poor guys, etc :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Danbo! wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed yesterday, yes it was bonkers in terms of traffic, but it helped me appreciate my commute time is pretty much constant no matter what. Terrible for train commuters, poor guys, etc :p

i was similar both this week and on the strike day last week. massive queues through Clontarf with everyone fighting to make up 1 or 2 places in the queue as I cycled by serenely on the coast path :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Interestingly less bus lane users on the N11 during the strike, as they presume the gardai will be out for easy targets (I guess, maybe wrong). As opposed to today, where it went back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Amazing - really amazing, that you haven't found a way to blame it on a cyclist yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mod hat on - ah here, cut that out. you're attacking someone for something they didn't actually say. if you want to criticise someone over something they say, wait till they actually say it. otherwise it's just ad hominem.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭f1000

Nearly hit a small wooden pallet that was left lying on the road along John Rogerson's Quay a few days ago. Not the first time I've had to stop and move leftovers to safety from work going on there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Amazing - really amazing, that you haven't found a way to blame it on a cyclist yet?

Easy to amaze you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Back in Feb 2016 four of us from our club met up in Kildare Town for a night time spin, we meet in the Square, in front of the tourist office for anyone that's familiar with the area, once we'd decided on a route we rolled out onto the road at the traffic lights, the town was busy enough and there was a line of traffic waiting at a red light, we rolled into the space in front of them.

When the lights went green we headed straight, for the Nurney road, down by the Parish Church, Credit Union and Primary School, so an area with a 30km/hr limit and plenty of traffic calming measures, for us it's also downhill so we were very quickly up to 30ish km/hr.

As we passed the Credit Union a lorry came up behind us and the driver put his hand on the horn, we were single file but there was traffic coming against us so he couldn't pass, the horn blowing continued non stop.

At the Aldi shop near the new motorway bridge he passed the two rear lads who were 10 or 15 meters back (still hand on the horn) and came up outside myself and the other chap, this has him right out over a single solid line up the middle of the road, as he passed us (still blowing) he tightened in on top of us, squeezing us in close to a high kerb (still blowing), before eventually going speeding up a little and going down to the cross at the end of the road (still blowing the horn).

At the cross roads we came up behind him and got his reg, for all his bollix acting he gained about 1 second, he turned one way, we the other.

At the end of our spin we reported everything in person to the guards in Kildare, the guards checked the reg and came up with a local enough lorry.

At this stage the guard asked us would we be willing to follow the incident through, right up to going to court to give evidence, otherwise he felt it would be a waste of his time to take any action. We gave that assurance and a few days later we all went into the station and gave formal statements, very little happened after that for quite a while but eventually we got a call to inform us that a dangerous driving charge was being brought and that we would allget witness summons, which we did, from memory the first court hearing was around Xmas 16, we were told we wouldn't have to attend as the case was only for notice and pleading that day.

The second date was late May, we were told that we may have to go, but that there was no need to attend if we could come at an hours notice, the likelihood was that the case would be adjourned unless there was a guilty plea, there wasn't and it was adjourned.

The next date was last week, again we were told be available to come but don't turnup till you get a call (obviously no one was stopping us going, but none of us wanted to lose a day sitting around waiting). The info to us in the morning was that the charge was to be contested, no guilty plea but that the case was well down the list so unlikely to be heard.

At lunchtime the guard informed us that a guilty plea to the lesser charge of careless driving was on offer and before it was accepted they wanted our opinion.

That put us a bit on the spot, but our feeling was that he had accepted he was in the wrong, and would have to deal with the consequences of a conviction.

He was fined 300 euro, 5 points on his licence, the guard assures us that between legal fees and insurance loadings the real cost to him will be many times that. His name has been published in the local papers, along with a report which didn't quite match the actual events but was close enough.

Sorry for the long post but just thought it might be no harm to let folk know what happens after you report an incident

All I can say is fair play to ye for sticking at it when many wouldn't.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fair play nilhg. I never would have thought it would go on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Fair play nilhg. I never would have thought it would go on for so long.

yeah, 2 and a half years is incredible. kudos nilhg and your crew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wow - i'd read that as 15th Feb!
    that's farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

wow - i'd read that as 15th Feb!
    that's farcical.

Sorry folks, my typo there, date of the incident was 25th Feb 2016, if he has continued to contest the case it would most like not have been heard last week and run well into 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

As the old adage goes;
    The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.

Worth the wait I reckon. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This week has been dreadful (for me) for close passes. Today was particularly bad. This morning a jeep squeezed me in on a corner and came far too close, then a few mins later when I got to the lights he was now stuck at he rolled down his window, put his head and shoulders out and told me that I didn't belong on the road because I wasn't a car, that I should be on the "cycle road" (we were on a main road, no cycle lanes anywhere close by) and that I wasn't a car, only a bike. His aggression levels were the worst I've experienced and his young daughter sat listening in the passenger seat. Needless to say I didn't just sit and take it but it left me feeling upset and I was annoyed I'd lost my cool too (told him I'd report him).

Then on the way home this evening as I reached the green lights on the Ongar Distribution Road a car tried to cut me off - they were turning left, I was going straight (I was on the cycle path). She had sped down the road to make the lights so I was well in front of her), she then proceeded to beep at me while almost running me down. I got off the bike to speak to her but she sped off (skidding wheels the whole lot). I wanted to cry and hit something in equal measure. Luckily another cyclist had seen and stopped for a chat (to make sure I was okay).

The thing is, these people can't be reasoned with (certainly the guy this morning was total scumbag). So for me I need to try and block them out and get on with enjoying my cycle. I just came in to rant a bit I guess. I do have footage from both incidents though and reading the last post is making me re-consider doing nothing. I might think about it over the next few days. It's not like every driver is terrible. There were some decent folks out there today too who let me pull out to turn right or who held back on a narrow road instead of trying to overtake when not safe etc but the bad ones stick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

This week has been dreadful (for me) for close passes. Today was particularly bad. This morning a jeep squeezed me in on a corner and came far too close, then a few mins later when I got to the lights he was now stuck at he rolled down his window, put his head and shoulders out and told me that I didn't belong on the road because I wasn't a car, that I should be on the "cycle road" (we were on a main road, no cycle lanes anywhere close by) and that I wasn't a car, only a bike. His aggression levels were the worst I've experienced and his young daughter sat listening in the passenger seat. Needless to say I didn't just sit and take it but it left me feeling upset and I was annoyed I'd lost my cool too (told him I'd report him).

Then on the way home this evening as I reached the green lights on the Ongar Distribution Road a car tried to cut me off - they were turning left, I was going straight (I was on the cycle path). She had sped down the road to make the lights so I was well in front of her), she then proceeded to beep at me while almost running me down. I got off the bike to speak to her but she sped off (skidding wheels the whole lot). I wanted to cry and hit something in equal measure. Luckily another cyclist had seen and stopped for a chat (to make sure I was okay).

The thing is, these people can't be reasoned with (certainly the guy this morning was total scumbag). So for me I need to try and block them out and get on with enjoying my cycle. I just came in to rant a bit I guess. I do have footage from both incidents though and reading the last post is making me re-consider doing nothing. I might think about it over the next few days. It's not like every driver is terrible. There were some decent folks out there today too who let me pull out to turn right or who held back on a narrow road instead of trying to overtake when not safe etc but the bad ones stick :(

Please report, if not for yourself, but for the next cyclist (like me!) who they will kill next time. Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rezident wrote: »
    Please report, if not for yourself, but for the next cyclist (like me!) who they will kill next time. Please.

And get a camera for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

marvin80 wrote: »
    Driving on N4 this morning in the inside car lane - traffic flowing slowly.
    Car illegally driving in the bus lane and speeding overtakes cyclist and doesn't give him much room (I know because I could hear the car driving over the cat eyes to get past him).

Absolutely ridiculous driving.
    Hope the cyclist didn't get too much of a fright.
    Was hoping I'd get the reg of the car but he disappeared off up the road.

While the driver of the car is an idiot, there is a cycle path on the n4 and a cycle bridge

and? Not really a fit for purpose lane due to much of it being covered in leaves, then having to move on a off the route and also give way at every junction at least once. Absolutely no excuse for illegal and dangerous driving. It might actually have been me that was close passed there, I get at least one per day on that route

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I rarely have 'incidents' but was startled by a very close pass on the Hearse Road (aptly named!) this morning around 10am. Heading east, bright with a wet road and low sun. I think the female driver who passed me very closely simply didn't see me as she didn't seem to change her normal position on the road.

(I had a flashing rear light).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You have to report, for your own piece of mind, and for all other cyclists. Its a terrible feeling after being accosted by motorists! :mad:
    We cant allow these cnuts to get away with this scumbag behavior in their metal boxes. I have reported trucks recently, and have gotten satisfactory outcomes from the companies involved.
    ALL cyclists need to start reporting, and MAKE the authorities do something, lets all stop just accepting motorists behavior !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

greenspurs wrote: »
    You have to report, for your own piece of mind, and for all other cyclists. Its a terrible feeling after being accosted by motorists! :mad:
    We cant allow these cnuts to get away with this scumbag behavior in their metal boxes. I have reported trucks recently, and have gotten satisfactory outcomes from the companies involved.
    ALL cyclists need to start reporting, and MAKE the authorities do something, lets all stop just accepting motorists behavior !!!

Yes I know you're all right, I will report them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

So for me I need to try and block them out and get on with enjoying my cycle.

That's the spirit! Don't let them get you down! :)

(And rant all you want here - that's what it's for!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I was heading to the train yesterday morning and could hear him roaring at you from about 20 meters away
    I only came around the corner after the incident
    Was stopped at the crossing as you went off and when the traffic followed he took off a such a pace over the railway bridge I wouldn't have been surprised if he was going to run you off the road, I would guess though you would have been over in the bus lane the other side of the bridge by then so were safe

Total and utter W@nker, especially with a kid in the jeep, though she seemed oblivious too it so sadly I would guess his behaviour and outbursts are a regular occurrence

Don't be down about your reaction, you were very restrained compared to what he deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Rant away! As you said, there's not point in getting into it with people like that so get it out of you here.
    And get a camera for next time.

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent, cost-effective (cheap :D) camera? I've been meaning to get one before I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

xckjoo wrote: »

Does anyone have recommendations for a decent, cost-effective (cheap :D) camera? I've been meaning to get one before I need it.

As am I, and wondering if there are any that would use NIR for night time - thinking of having one facing back as it might be easier to get reg plates etc from that.

• Advertisement

and? Not really a fit for purpose lane due to much of it being covered in leaves, then having to move on a off the route and also give way at every junction at least once. Absolutely no excuse for illegal and dangerous driving. It might actually have been me that was close passed there, I get at least one per day on that route

1) I never made it an excuse for bad driving

2) I ran on that route this morning and its ok for cycling. Yes you might have to stop at a few junctions and understand the frustration there but there is no reason not to use the cycle bridge.

PS The leaves are also on the bus lane where you cycle!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement