Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limited appliances, what to cook?

Options
  • 23-03-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Hi, hoping I might get some good ideas. We moved house 2 weeks ago and are waiting on the kitchen and heating to be installed. So I am working with a microwave and a very simple 2 ring hot plate thing. There is 3 of us to cook for one of which is vegetarian and one is a committed meat eater, I'd eat anything! I've figured that simple is best, we've had scrambled egg with salad. Salad with sandwiches, pasta and tinned soup (yuk). I am facing into at least 3 more weeks of this, it's costing so much as we have no fridge yet either. Don't want it ruined from the dust, so it's staying in store until the place is organised. Any and all ideas very greatly welcomed. I have run dry of ideas and am so bored of bad food. Thanks in advance if ye share some thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

First thing that came to mind was Butternut squash risotto! The only thing you might need from a fridge is parmesan cheese but you could do without.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13012/simple-squash-risotto

Good luck and just think of how good your new kitchen will be when it's ready. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Any kind of chunky soup/stew, I would think.

This is really quick and easy, you can throw in some more vegetables if you like, and throw in some chicken for the meat-eater.

Or something like Jamie's chili con veggie? Only I would quarter the amounts in the recipe if it's only for 3 people and there's no fridge....

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Thanks Gloomtastic and Shenshen, appreciate those. Personally myself and the vegetarian would love them but my strict meat eater would pass out!Though these are one pot meals really so I could just do a meat pot on the other ring. I can't give a dish that has or had meat in it to the veggie. The peanut one sounds amazing, definitely trying that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks Gloomtastic and Shenshen, appreciate those. Personally myself and the vegetarian would love them but my strict meat eater would pass out!Though these are one pot meals really so I could just do a meat pot on the other ring. I can't give a dish that has or had meat in it to the veggie. The peanut one sounds amazing, definitely trying that. Thanks.

As a committed carnivore I had no problem eating the Risotto! Throw some hot dog sausages in, if they're that desperate!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A slow cooker would be a blessing to you.

But you are doing great. ;):D

I never use the oven here because of the cost and do fine with the hob and microwave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

You can cook rice and pasta and jacket potatoes in the microwave.

So perhaps you can cook for example veggie dishes, with a meat portion cooked in the second pot and added at serving time, with rice or pasta or spuds or bread.

Some ideas:

Vegetable curries, all varieties
    Lentil bolognese
    Bean and corn chilli
    Quorn 'chicken' in a creamy sauce

You could also make nachos, with melted cheese, and topped with avocado, salsa, sour cream etc, with leftover chilli for the carnivore if necessary.

You could buy cold quiches, heat them up and eat them with coleslaw and salad.

You could make hearty veg soups like leek and potato, or butternut squash, and crumble cooked bacon on top for the carnivore. Eat with crusty bread and cheese.

A nice cold platter of meats, cheeses, bread, crackers, grapes, hummus and chutney never goes amiss either. Good luck!

PS Just thought of burgers. Bean for the veggie in one pan, meat for the carnivores. Eat with buns and salads!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you have budget for it, and think you'd use it once full kitchen is in place, might be a good idea to get a George Foreman grill so you can do meat like chicken breasts, burgers, rashers for the carnivores?
    They don't take up much space and just need a socket.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you have budget for it, and think you'd use it once full kitchen is in place, might be a good idea to get a George Foreman grill so you can do meat like chicken breasts, burgers, rashers for the carnivores?
    They don't take up much space and just need a socket.

I'm not disagreeing with this suggestion but you can cook these things on any pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Thank you all so much with the brilliant ideas. I'm a tad slow in replying and thanking as we don't have our wifi set up yet either! I really do appreciate and love reading the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    might be a good idea to get a George Foreman grill so you can do meat like chicken breasts, burgers, rashers for the carnivores?.
    I think a philips airfryer is the better investment, only decision is normal or XL size. It will certainly be reused even if you have a normal oven & hob, just look at the numerous threads.

Think I have mine 2+ years now, and have only used the main oven if it happened to be on (to save energy, not since it cooks better or faster), but cooking for several people would need the larger one. But a small one is still of good use in combination with other devices.

If stuck with the 2 you mention it would be currys & rice. Many people do not know how to make the best use of a micowave, its irritating to see so many think there is no other setting than 100%, no wonder they have a bad name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement