Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosin Nagant Rebarreling or M39

Options
  • 23-03-2017 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I've a Mosin Nagant 91/30, and i was wondering is there anyone who knows someone who can Rebarrel or where i can buy a Finnish Mosin Nagant M39?
    Kind Regards,
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

You could ring or email John Kavanagh in Fingal Sports.

http://www.fingalsports.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Rebarreling is going to cost WAAAAAY more than buying a replacement rifle.

Get yourself a nice Finnish Tikkakoski Arsenal-made M39 and smile.

JK is the man to talk to.

Tell him I sent you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

Fabian Connolly has very nice Mosin Nagants for sale.

Russian fence posts, get yerself a nice k31 swiss.

A K31 is a very fine piece, but Russian ammunition is way easier to obtain... I've been hearing that nobody in Ireland has any - perhaps I'm be misled, but still.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭CplCurley

Called fingal sports but there's no m39s at the moment!

Looked into the k31s but I've has great luck with my 91/30 and the ammo price is unbeatable!

I bought it from pat white in knock and I love it!
    I take the point rebarrlling is pricy! Is it possible to get a barrel imported from the states???

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

CplCurley wrote:
    I bought it from pat white in knock and I love it! I take the point rebarrlling is pricy! Is it possible to get a barrel imported from the states???

I don't see that as an issue.

Well the rifling is pretty rounded and it's a war time production so the barrel isn't made to the same tight toleranceschedule post war barrels are, I just wanted to put the best barrel I could on the rifle.

It's got a war time PU scope so I'd like to keep the stock and reciever but get a pristine old barrel

All ebay sellers say no international sales!

In most countries a chambered barrel is classed as a pressure-bearing part of a firearm. Given the plenitude of Soviet era M-Ns, and the cost of ANY replacement barrel, most people just buy a whole new gun.

Sadly you and I are not in that position - it gets treated like the 'new gun' that it is, and needs licensed.

If you are desperate, you might care to try these guys - heard nothing but good about them, me.

http://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/page31.html

Anything would have to be done through your own local - ie., Irish, RFD, and you can be certain that it's going to cost at least 500eu and up.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tBH it actually might be cheaper to re barrel here with a gunsmith than trying to import a barrel.I saved 400 euros all in getting a Walther match barrel custom installed than importing a bog std AR10 308 barrel with Fabian Connolly..on an aside..Can the MN be re barrelled? I thought the actions were either one piece with the reciver or sweated into the action?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Can be a b*tch -

This is from pal DocAV in Brisbane [thank you, Sir] -

Depending on type and date of manufacture, Mosin barrels can be hard or ***^&*! un-movable.

First thing is to strip as much off the barrelled receiver (including sight parts). Then get or make a proper barrel vice and a proper receiver wrench.

Barrel vice is usually two half bushes of brass or aluminium, fitting in-side a clamp (1x1 bars) which is bolted on both sides (5/8" bolts minimum) and the lot welded to some heavy angle and locked into a heavy bench vice (mine is a 8 inch Record, cast steel). The Barrel vice is located as close as possible to the Barrel shank (on a parallel section of barrel (there is a slight taper, which can be "scraped in" to the brass blocks).

Then take the receiver wrench (NOT a toothed Pipe wrench or similar "Bubba tool") which has been fitted to the profile of the receiver...I have a cut from solid wrench for "Hex" (Old Mosin) receivers, the inner surface lined with copper sheet), and a "Vee Block" clamp-on one to use with Round receivers (M91/30 type). Both these Rec. wrenches have a 1 inch handle, solidly welded onto the main frame, over which I slip a HD Black steel Pipe ( 1 inch Nom. Bore., and about 5-foot long (1,5 metres).

Every thing is oriented so that the "Cheat bar" is horizontal, and then I can do one of two methods....I whack the end of the bar with a 14 pound Sledge to "Crack" the joint between barrel shoulders and Receiver shoulders; some times, I try to swing on the bar with my own weight, first (220 Pounds) to see if it will "crack.".

IN any case, prepping. the joint by an overnight soak with a penetrating oil is useful.
    Sometimes a five minute heat with a Bernz-o-matic hand held torch will help "loosen" the Joint.

It is essential both Vices (Barrel and Receiver) are tightened to max without shearing the bolts. Powdered Rosin may be needed to prevent the Bushes from slipping on the Barrel (Older Mosins are very smooth (well machined) WWII Mosins are pretty rough surfaced, so will grip better.)

If the first try doesn't work, try the Torch method, and then cool the barrel with some cold water compresses. Leave the receiver hot ("holes expand when heated") and try the Cheat bar again.

Eventually you will get the barrel out... if NOT,as a last resort, if the Barrel is a Klunker ( or Sewer Pipe) one can simply cut off the barrel just in front of the receiver, bore out the stub to just Thread depth, and then pick out the remaining Barrel threads from the Receiver Threaded hole.

Good barrels which are well seated can be "relieved" by cutting a fine slot just in front of the receiver ring, all the way around, to relieve the compression of the metals...Barrels were regularly "Machine Torqued" when assembled. A simple Hacksaw can do this slot. Depth to Thread core diameter.

Now that you have the barrel out, what are you going to do...put a replacement (Good) Mosin barrel back in, or put in a NEW Barrel, maybe in another calibre???

If putting in another barrel, threads will have to be cut. I forget how many TPI and diameter the Mosin barrel is (De Haas has the details, as does the NRA Book on Gunsmithing) but REMEMBER: The Mosin Threads are all British Whitworth Form (55 degrees) NOT US type (60 degrees).

Personally, I'd leave it well alone, but hey, I'm not paying.

tac

Thanks tac that's a serious post!

I've a round reciever! So worse for removal I'll have to go through a gunsmith like you sent earlier.

I'll call fabian Connolly and see if he's got a Finnish m39, if the price is the same as rebarrlling I'll buy both 😂

(http://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/page31.html)

Good choice - Tikka made a great Mosin-Nagant, easily the best there ever wuz. I guess that you know what to look for, right?

tac

Yeah tikka and sako are the the main Finnish manufacturers, and they are meant to be superior to the 91/30s.

Well decision made! I'll get on the hunt for one!!!

The Americans made quite a lot of mosins to, but stopped in 1917, the yankees weren't too keen on supplying the damn commy-nists with rifles.

M/39: nicknamed "Ukko-Pekka" after the former President Pehr Evind Svinhufvud,[28] a compromise between the Army and White Guard, adopted so as to standardize Mosin–Nagant production. The M/39 was derived largely from the M28-30, but included some alterations proposed by the Army. The M/39 also incorporated a semi-pistol grip into the stock, though some early examples used typical Mosin–Nagant straight stocks. Only 10 rifles were completed by the end of the Winter War, but 96,800 were produced after the Winter War and used in the Continuation War. Small numbers were assembled from leftover parts in the late 1960s through 1970, bringing the total production to approximately 102,000.

The great point about the Finnish M-Ns of the later date is that they can easily be reloaded, in those countries where gun-owners can do so, as they use the common .308 bullet of the appropriate bullet weight.

Mind you, as noted elsewhere, the factory ammunition is so cheap as to not really make it worthwhile, unless you have the biathlon or target version - neither of which I have ever seen.

tac

Yeah there such a nice rifle for the money! Now the finnish is really twicked my interest!

Just wondering how the super intendent will take me buying a similar rifle twice?

How does this matter? What about Irish shooters who have more than one .22 rifle - one for 'real' target shooting and one for pest control?

Or shooters like Cass, who has more than one rifle of similar calibres? It must be allowed, or else it would not happen at all.

tac

OK i'll called Every gun dealer in the republic i can find and None have an M39 for sale!!!! does anyone have any ideas how to get one??????

OK i'll called Every gun dealer in the republic i can find and None have an M39 for sale!!!! does anyone have any ideas how to get one??????

• Advertisement

Try the North, it's only a step away.

tac

Can i buy in the north??? Or do I need an import license?

Yes and yes.

I'm sure somebody who lives in the RoI will explain the process for you. Do you have a friendly gun store to act on your behalf?

tac

CplCurley wrote: »
    Can i buy in the north??? Or do I need an import license?

Its only one form, article 7, and it is easy to fill out, you do it the same time as you apply for your firearms licence and include it with the application as it has to be signed by the super.

Have you emailed Frankonia guns in Germany ? They might have one and its as easy to buy from germany as it is the north.

http://www.frankonia.de/waffen/langwaffen/buechsen/Artikel.html

Told ya.

tac

Thanks guys this is much appreciated! As soon as I get it I'll post pics 😀 It's a promise

Advertisement