Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 10.2.1 sending emails from account that is not set as default email account

Options
  • 23-03-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Slightly odd issue, but when I'm on the mail app homescreen (i.e. I see my list of inboxes/accounts) and I click the compose new mail icon in the bottom right of the screen, it appears to choose to send the email from the account of the inbox I last viewed.

Basically I have a number of different accounts. They're all different types, apare from two of them, which are different Gmail addresses (one my personal account and the other an account for wedding planning stuff). My personal Gmail account is and has always been set as my default mail account and, as far as I know, has always sent from that account. But now when I click the compose icon, the 'From' address appears to correspond with the account of the inbox last opened from the mail homescreen (e.g. my default account is Gmail. I open Yahoo inbox, go back to the app homescreen (which shows all inboxes/accounts) and press 'Compose'. It then will, unless changed, send from the Yahoo account, even though Gmail is the default and I'm on the app homescreen.

However, when I go into a particular inbox and then click the compose mail option, it will always send from the correct account (i.e. if I'm in Yahoo then it sends from the Yahoo address and so on).

If I close the mail app, open it again and choose compose always works correct the first time. But as soon as I view one of the inboxes, it attempts to send from that address again when compose from the app homescreen is chosen.

This also happens on my iPad. Does this happen to anyone else/can you try and see can you recreate it? Not a showstopping thing, but certainly irritating and, when you use the phone for work use as I do, potentially quite unprofessional looking to the recipient if sent without noticing.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't reproduce this on my iPhone. It always sends from my default account unless I am within the mailbox of one of my other accounts. When I go back, it still sends from the default account.

Might be a bug or something about that particular account that is confusing your Mail app. Try changing the default account to something else and then back again. Also see if happens with other accounts set as default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Not happening for me either, try deleting the mailboxes and then add them again to see if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I've a similar problem, no one replied though !!

Havent updated to 10.2.1 yet either

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713050

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

vicwatson wrote: »
    I've a similar problem, no one replied though !!

Havent updated to 10.2.1 yet either

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713050

That's a totally different problem to do with the Gmail app and your Mail settings. brophs's issue with the default account setting not being remembered in the Mail app. They aren't using the Gmail app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I can't reproduce this on my iPhone. It always sends from my default account unless I am within the mailbox of one of my other accounts. When I go back, it still sends from the default account.

Might be a bug or something about that particular account that is confusing your Mail app. Try changing the default account to something else and then back again. Also see if happens with other accounts set as default.

Odd.

Just tried that and it doesn't seem to matter which is the default account, it still seems to want to send from the account of the inbox most recently visited.

• Advertisement

Not happening for me either, try deleting the mailboxes and then add them again to see if anything changes.

Cheers. Tried that. Deleted them all, re-added them one by one and no joy. As soon as I visit an inbox, the compose button on the app homepage wants to send from that account.

Does it work properly in All Mail? And when sending from the share sheet in another app?

Does it work properly in All Mail? And when sending from the share sheet in another app?

Cheers for the response.

Not sure I know what you mean by "in All Mail"?

And, yeah, it seems to default to the correct account when sending via the share sheet.

Sorry, I mean "All Inboxes". Unless it's disabled, it's the top mailbox on the Mailboxes screen.

Sorry, I mean "All Inboxes". Unless it's disabled, it's the top mailbox on the Mailboxes screen.

Sorry, should have twigged that. It works normally from 'All Inboxes' as well.

• Advertisement

Since it affects both your iPhone and iPad, I’d inclined to think there’s something in your account settings that’s causing it. It might be a problem in the SMTP settings. Did you set up any of the accounts manually?

Since it affects both your iPhone and iPad, I’d inclined to think there’s something in your account settings that’s causing it. It might be a problem in the SMTP settings. Did you set up any of the accounts manually?
    No. Not that I was aware of. Just the usual 'Add Account' option in settings.

Advertisement