Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Synthesizer & Drum Sample Pad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The Korg is a mini synth and generates its own sounds. The keyboard drum pad combinations you have spotted are more likely midi keyboards which control sound generated from software. More flexibility and usually far cheaper than a proper synth. Something like this
    https://m.thomann.de/ie/akai_mpk_225.htm?gclid=COnKyuL87NICFeuw7QoduJ4E7w

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Thanks for advice. If that's the case I think I would like to stay away from MIDI gear then. I would like to stay away from software as much as possible as I imagine that would just be opening up a can of worms and something that would take too long to get used to.

Price-wise I would go as far as to get something like the Korg Minilogue but I am concerned that I would want more keys for greater range, 49 keys ideally.

As for the drum pad, anything that had built in sounds and something that is capable of allowing you to input sounds would be great. Perhaps like the Korg padKontrol, but I think that requires software.

A full sized synth is going to set you back serious money. It's actually very easy to use midi keyboards with software. They are basically plug and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NFH

Ok, so if I was going to go with a decent sized midi keyboard (and drum pads built in) with laptop software, what would you recommend?

Would this MIDI setup compare to the something like the MicroKorg in regards to freedom of messing around and creating interesting sounds etc?

Also, out of interest, would using this software allow for layered recording, i.e recording various guitar and bass tracks etc. I currently have an 10 year old 16 track recorder and I'm thinking software today might make this obsolete?

Absolutely. If you have a half decent laptop you can start off with something like Reaper or Studio One light for free. Loads of free VST instruments let you generate any kind of sound. I'm not too sure about multi track recording

You can definitely record single tracks at at time and mix later

• Advertisement
Advertisement