Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann to strike tonight after midnight

Options
  • 23-03-2017 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Does anyone know if the Bus Eireann strike will affect the Cork city buses?
    I have to take the bus for a flight to England tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi guys,
    Thanks in advance

If it's an all out strike then all services will be affected (apart from Dublin Bus I'd imagine).

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Hi guys,
    Thanks in advance
    Yes, it will.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/All-out-bus-strike-to-commence-from-midnight-01b2b24b-2a74-4ed3-bdd7-64a5729abcb3-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

It looks like I'll have to take a taxi from Kent station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

It looks like I'll have to take a taxi from Kent station.

I thought there was some kind of private shuttle bus for the airport? Would imagine taxis will be very busy in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Yes :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

FYI
    Some Train routes into Cork also are being effected. The Irish Rail site has details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

no Cork commuter trains running.

Looks like I'll be driving to Cork airport - then.

Thanks guys for the info. Is the route to the airport well signposted from N22?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

From N22, it would be well signposted. Get off at Kinsale Road and just follow the signs. If you're parking up for a few days book in online as it'll be a little cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Total chaos coming in from East Cork. N25 is like a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Rail services will be back to normal at 11am in Kent station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

kub wrote: »

Link?

According to Irish rail website and their twitter account, Cork commuter services cancelled all day, and most intercity services cancelled or curtailed. Any link to everything being grand from 11am?

96FM just tweeted that Cork train drivers will go back to work at 11am.

deRanged wrote: »
    96FM just tweeted that Cork train drivers will go back to work at 11am.

Why were they not working? Decided to take the morning off??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Does anyone know if they will strike again tomorrow?I am booked on a 10 am train tomorrow from Heuston to Cork.
    Edit:I booked a bus ticket just in case.

Those train drivers should be disciplined.

The dispute has nothing to do with the train drivers and so what if theres a bus stop next to Kent Station.

These people must think they are irreplaceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Because it was not the action of a single individual driver in reality there is very little that the management can do without stirring up a bigger row with union reps and other members of the trade union movement.

It is even possible that the managements own union would object to disciplinary action against members of a fellow trade union acting in a correct manner, ie. not passing pickets of a trade union in dispute at a specific location.

I would guess that a single train driver passing a picket where his fellow drivers did not would be in more trouble than those who did not pass the picket.

The sensible worker would consult with his shop steward or union rep before doing anything and then would go by his advice. Any confrontation with management would be referred to the union rep for decisions on what course of action to take.

It would be unfortunate but logical that the workers would be docked pay for not attending work, possibly on an hourly basis so nobody wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

doolox wrote: »
    It would be unfortunate but logical that the workers would be docked pay for not attending work, possibly on an hourly basis so nobody wins.

Nothing unfortunate about it. The strike has nothing to do with the train drivers.
    I don't recall the buses not running when the train drivers were striking a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

mordeith wrote: »
    Nothing unfortunate about it. The strike has nothing to do with the train drivers.
    I don't recall the buses not running when the train drivers were striking a few years back.
    Very annoying for so many people who had little or no notice and many who have prepaid tickets who were badly inconvenienced and ended up having to also pay for alternative transport arrangements. Paying on the double.

This is the mind set that is on show and in action :

GoBé Cork Hi Carol, we had intended to run services as scheduled however when our first service at 06:30am this morning was due to depart, the driver and passengers was met by NBRU members who had left their picket and threatened our driver and passengers. On health and safety grounds a decision was made to suspend all services from Cork. The safety of our passengers and staff is our priority at all times.
    Like · Reply · 2 · Yesterday at 8:09pm

That was on the GoBE Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Does anyone know if the Black Ash park and ride is still running while the strike is on? I know it's run by the city council but I think the the drivers are Bus Eireann.

Need to plan an alternative for getting to work tomorrow if it's closed!

GoBé Cork Hi Carol, we had intended to run services as scheduled however when our first service at 06:30am this morning was due to depart, the driver and passengers was met by NBRU members who had left their picket and threatened our driver and passengers. On health and safety grounds a decision was made to suspend all services from Cork. The safety of our passengers and staff is our priority at all times.

Why werent the Gardai called?

A similar incident happened a few years ago where Bus Eireann workers blocked a GoBe Bus from leaving.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/13/meanwhile-in-cork-29/

IMO they are thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

If that happened, then that's disgraceful. What about the concept of 'peaceful protest'?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

mikeym wrote: »
    Why werent the Gardai called?

A similar incident happened a few years ago where Bus Eireann workers blocked a GoBe Bus from leaving.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/05/13/meanwhile-in-cork-29/

IMO they are thugs.
    100% agreed.

Does anyone know if the Black Ash park and ride is still running while the strike is on? I know it's run by the city council but I think the the drivers are Bus Eireann.

Need to plan an alternative for getting to work tomorrow if it's closed!

I hope you got sorted, i noticed today that a private coach company is operating this service.

Commuter trains are off again today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

deRanged wrote: »
    Commuter trains are off again today.
    Some buses laid on for morning commuter but no guarantee of return service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Dublin Bus and Irish Rail have joined the strike

Advertisement