Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann to strike tonight after midnight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mikeym wrote: »
    Why werent the Gardai called?

Because they weren't Irish Water protesters??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Are there pickets outside the Aircoach stop in Cork or have they gone on strike too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Are there pickets outside the Aircoach stop in Cork or have they gone on strike too ?
    Doubt it. Aircoach is a private company. I would imagine they're having a bumper week of bookings.

They just said on the news Irish Rail pickets are being abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

They just said on the news Irish Rail tickets are being abandoned.

Pickets ? :D

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    lol yes:D

Trains back online.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Dublin Bus and Irish Rail have joined the strike

it will be sorted now, cant have the people of dumpland put out for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Dublin Bus and Irish Rail have joined the strike

They didn't join the strike - Bus Eireann workers picketed Irish Rail and Dublin bus. Supposed to be illegal to do it, so that's probably why they didn't last. I think Dublin Bus and Irish rail would be entitled to sue the Bus Eireann union for money's lost if the secondary pickets continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Ludo wrote: »

Flying?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I support the Bus Eireann strike - although it is a pain in the backside for me - but I think spreading it to trains and Dublin Bus etc. is a mistake. It will not be seen as a fair fight by commuters if that happens. I know that the government want to privatise everything, but public transport services are as important to most people as water accession, and many less well off people need expressways service for hospital and work purposes. If they become privately run companies I can see fares skyrocketing, and like many things in the country the service will be operated by only a few. Look what happened to the garbage collection in Dublin. It is poorly run and expensive. Well that's my rant done for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I support the Bus Eireann strike - although it is a pain in the backside for me - but I think spreading it to trains and Dublin Bus etc. is a mistake. It will not be seen as a fair fight by commuters if that happens. I know that the government want to privatise everything, but public transport services are as important to most people as water accession, and many less well off people need expressways service for hospital and work purposes. If they become privately run companies I can see fares skyrocketing, and like many things in the country the service will be operated by only a few. Look what happened to the garbage collection in Dublin. It is poorly run and expensive. Well that's my rant done for today.

The problem is the fares are constantly going up. I have a 35 minute journey to work and it's nearly 20 euro for a return ticket. I can park all day for 9euro. I prefer getting the bus as I can read or whatever but the prices are crazy. This is made worse by the amount of people using travel passes (nor talking oaps here) and they're off into town to go shopping (for non essental items). Give em a reduced rate fair enough, but free is not sustainable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

A huge problem with buses in Ireland is the drivers. A huge amount of them have no skills in customer service, some barely have basic manners or communication skills.

On top of that (and maybe linked to above somewhat) it's not possible to rely on bus schedules to get you where you need to be, on time.

And finally the price. Often much too expensive. I suppose the people that actually pay fares are subsidising the huge amount of free pass people.

Let the company go bust and start again with civil drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

kcb wrote: »
    A huge problem with buses in Ireland is the drivers. A huge amount of them have no skills in customer service, some barely have basic manners or communication skills.

I'd have to agree with this. Some of them make no effort at all. In fact, I'd have to say that and many of the non Irish drivers I have come across tend to be far more personable and professional in their approach to their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

mordeith wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with this. Some of them make no effort at all. In fact, I'd have to say that and many of the non Irish drivers I have come across tend to be far more personable and professional in their approach to their jobs.

It's the same as any job. There are good and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the drivers make very little difference to the problem at all. If I have to get a bus I'll get it, regardless of whether he's a dickhead or the soundest guy on earth, or whether he's Irish or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bus Eireann might aswell be scrapped and a new bus company should be setup.

The unions wont budge and the only option is to give a huge cash injection to Bus Eireann at the tax payers expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why can't they protest in a way that doesn't affect the public or risk turning public mood against them, like a 'no fares' protest??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah it's become a bit of a balls alright, I'm going to have to pay for a cab from Ballincollig to Cork and then back again, that's €40 down the drain.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Yeah it's become a bit of a balls alright, I'm going to have to pay for a cab from Ballincollig to Cork and then back again, that's €40 down the drain.
    Would you not rent one of the Coke bikes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I deeply sympathise with their cause and can totally understand why they need to be heard, the way they've been treated is an absolute joke but the last week has been an absolute nightmare for me and many others.
    The vast majority of people who avail of public transport on a regular basis are those who can't afford to drive, for whatever reason.
    Their plight is not being well received because they are alienating those who are also on a low income (I'm speaking generally here, I know a lot of people use busses for convenience) and I can imagine them getting little to no sympathy for their cause from their passengers when services are back up and running.
    I understand they wanted to show management they meant business but by doing so, they have put an enormous amount of inconvenience on the average working class and instead of showing senior authority they are serious, they've just p*ssed off most of the public.
    I spent the first couple of days of the strike getting taxis but I simply can't afford to get any more this month, so I've had to leave my house at 7:15am to make it to work for 9am the last 4 working days.
    I have friends, family, and a boyfriend who are helping with me lifts when they can but I don't like putting people out and it isn't practical anyway. Even going into town to get some food shopping is a nightmare because I live about a 45 minute walk from the nearest supermarket and it's too far to walk with many bags.
    Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to put my two cents in.
    Instead of putting management under pressure and ensuring the maintain their well deserved wages, they've caused me to blow €60 on taxis that I couldn't afford. I work full time 48 hours a week and I'm finishing my degree by night. i have little to no extra cash at the end of every month and an unexpected chunk of it was lost due to this strike. I'm livid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I don't know why people are surprised that bus drivers would do something that might put out their customers. That sort of attitude and lack of customer appreciation is evident in that company across the board for as long as I have got buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Would you not rent one of the Coke bikes ?

Those things ain't designed for that length a journey, and the cost would go sky high with no station in ballincollig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I know it's a disaster, but if it's any help, supermarkets deliver online shopping. Supervalu and tesco do it for about three euro. That's cheaper than a return on the bus too...

The hardship is outrageous, and the national news seems to be under the impression that it's just intercity affected, rather than the whooe of cork city services gone.

I really feel for people with hospital appointments, exams and who rely on the bus for work. Why is it going on so LONG!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

The inconvenience to the public and the added expense is unknown for customers who would otherwise get buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pwurple wrote: »
    The hardship is outrageous, and the national news seems to be under the impression that it's just intercity affected, rather than the whooe of cork city services gone.

Going by the main threads on this topic, a good few Dublin boards users seem to be under that impression as well.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Found out last night that GoBus have canceled their services between Cork and Dublin because of BusEireann. :mad:
    CORK PASSENGER NOTICE
    Due to industrial action by Bus Éireann employees all GoBé Cork services between Cork to Dublin City/Airport and Dublin City/Airport to Cork have been suspended until further notice. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Found out last night that GoBus have canceled their services between Cork and Dublin because of BusEireann. :mad:

A few of the protesting BE employees in Parnell Place on the first day of the protest approached one of the GoBE coaches which was picking up passengers on one of the nearby Quays.
    The protestors intimated the GoBE driver and passengers.

Real classy behavior as usual.

Apparently now though as Aircoach are so busy between the 2 cities, Kavanaghs in Urlingford, who are the partners in the GoBE operation, are actually helping out Aircoach with extra buses, so GoBE are now providing the Aircoach service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Working in Tokyo for the past few months where transport smashes anything I've seen anywhere else and the possibility of returning to this mess in a few weeks is a joke. Might just extend my time here since it'll be easier to reach the office!

Delighted Aircoach are doing well out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No one that matters gives a **** as long as Dublin isn't effected. Looking at my RTE news app this morning it was about 12th story in the headlines, says it all really.

Advertisement