Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann to strike tonight after midnight

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

rob316 wrote: »
    No one that matters gives a **** as long as Dublin isn't effected. Looking at my RTE news app this morning it was about 12th story in the headlines, says it all really.

That seems to be case. While talking to co-workers in Dublin, the general consensus on mentioning the bus strike, what bus strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Not good news today - after a hopeful report yesterday that the two sides were on track to an agreement.
    It would be a catastrophe of enormous proportions if Bus Eireann is allowed to go out of business. Many people who are vulnerable would suffer tremendous hardships without services to take them to hospitals, doctors etc. I just hope that it can be resolved soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why aren't the grey masses making their presence felt, all the pensioners that the govt. would normally be sh!t scared of?

Who supposedly rely on (free) public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Not good news today - after a hopeful report yesterday that the two sides were on track to an agreement.
    It would be a catastrophe of enormous proportions if Bus Eireann is allowed to go out of business. Many people who are vulnerable would suffer tremendous hardships without services to take them to hospitals, doctors etc. I just hope that it can be resolved soon.

Nature hates a vacuum. Someone will come in to provide a service. I'd rather this strike go on longer, if it means that there's a long lasting resolution to this mess, rather than be back here next year facing yet another crisis. It can't go on as it is.

Why aren't the grey masses making their presence felt, all the pensioners that the govt. would normally be sh!t scared of?

Who supposedly rely on (free) public transport?

Presumably they are making do, and getting help for essential trips only ? I've driven into the city centre a couple of times over the last week and the place is so quiet.

• Advertisement

Mumha wrote: »
    Presumably they are making do, and getting help for essential trips only ? I've driven into the city centre a couple of times over the last week and the place is so quiet.

Businesses have to be hurting over this.

Businesses have to be hurting over this.

Absolutely true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Saw the council come out with new parking restrictions now as well. Extending street parking paid times from 6:30pm to 8:30 pm, and turning the two hour zones into 1 hour zones.

Between that, the bus strike, and the planned decade of roadworks for the new flood walls, is the end plan to completely destroy the inner city? What the heck is with their timing!

Why on earth would anyone even enter the city at the moment? There's a distinct "feck off outta here" vibe from the council.

More in their line to put in some alternate public transport. How are we supposed to get in to the city these days, jetpack?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

My dad has 2 hospital appointments in the next 2 days and has to rely on lifts to them. It's ridiculous at this stage. When it's not affecting Dublin, they don't give a crap about it.

pwurple wrote: »
    Saw the council come out with new parking restrictions now as well. Extending street parking paid times from 6:30pm to 8:30 pm, and turning the two hour zones into 1 hour zones.

That's disappointing, it was always handy for us to park up in the likes of Princes Street or Cook Street and get an early dinner just after 6.30pm. I'd be less inclined to go to the extra hassle of parking discs.

• Advertisement

That's disappointing, it was always handy for us to park up in the likes of Princes Street or Cook Street and get an early dinner just after 6.30pm. I'd be less inclined to go to the extra hassle of parking discs.

It'll just push people further from the city centre to avoid the hassle of discs and if they don't get spaces they'll simply forget about eating out or going to the cinema in the city in future. Very few will want to use the North Main Street car park they are pushing, walking down dimly lit streets at night doesn't exactly appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Those areas aren't affected. The new parking regime is the area around Mercy Hospital and NMS.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Those areas aren't affected. The new parking regime is the area around Mercy Hospital and NMS.

Phew !

That said, that's tough on the hospital visitors, though it has been the same for a long time outside the Bons ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Manach wrote: »
    That seems to be case. While talking to co-workers in Dublin, the general consensus on mentioning the bus strike, what bus strike.

Have to say other then a few co-workers complaining of a longer commute from the sticks and my Granny not being able to get into town from Trim, i really wasn't aware how much this was affecting people until i ended up down in Cork for a meeting last Wednesday and ended up walking to the office an hour and 30 minutes away (Cork City to Mahon)

To be honest it is a disgrace , people having to take taxis in and out of work or turn down shifts because they cant get in , not sure if the Unions are remotely aware or interested in the impact this is having on working people on below average to average wages.

More in their line to put in some alternate public transport. How are we supposed to get in to the city these days, jetpack?

On bikes of course, going around on half-thought out bike lanes.

Should be safe enough to cycle now with no buses and cars chased out of city.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Lots of people walking now. Just as well the weather has been okay during the strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On bikes of course, going around on half-thought out bike lanes.

Should be safe enough to cycle now with no buses and cars chased out of city.
    Awesome, and if you're in a wheelchair, or have children with you?
    Shouldn't be allowed out in public in the first place maybe. ;)

Advertisement