Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working visa australia question

Options
  • 23-03-2017 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I applied for my 1 year working visa at christmas time, I got approved on 6th january 2017 and have until 6th january 2018 to go to australia.

The only reason I booked christmas time was I was turning 30 and thought I had to apply before I turn 30 then after all was sorted I realised they extended age until 35.

My problem is I may not be able to go until March 2018 I just found out as theres something I need to stay around for.

My question is if my visa expires and I dont go to australia can I apply again for a working visa?

Thanks
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

brendan86 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I applied for my 1 year working visa at christmas time, I got approved on 6th january 2017 and have until 6th january 2018 to go to australia.

The only reason I booked christmas time was I was turning 30 and thought I had to apply before I turn 30 then after all was sorted I realised they extended age until 35.

My problem is I may not be able to go until March 2018 I just found out as theres something I need to stay around for.

My question is if my visa expires and I dont go to australia can I apply again for a working visa?

Thanks
    Brendan

The age limit of 35 has not been introduced yet as far as I know. It is only being considered.
    The best source of information is official websites such as this :
    https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

Regarding the visa you have applied for...it will only be activated when you enter Australia so it will expire if you don't enter before 6th January 2018.
    If you don't use it you can apply for another one but this must be done before you turn 31(unless the change to 35 years of age is introduced before then).

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

aido79 wrote: »
    The age limit of 35 has not been introduced yet as far as I know. It is only being considered.
    The best source of information is official websites such as this :
    https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

Regarding the visa you have applied for...it will only be activated when you enter Australia so it will expire if you don't enter before 6th January 2018.
    If you don't use it you can apply for another one but this must be done before you turn 31(unless the change to 35 years of age is introduced before then).

Thanks for the info

But the visa I currently have wont expire before I turn 31, I turn 31 on December 22nd 2017 and my visa expires January 6th 2018? Can I cancel my visa you think and lose my money then apply again before I turn 31?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

brendan86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info

But the visa I currently have wont expire before I turn 31, I turn 31 on December 22nd 2017 and my visa expires January 6th 2018? Can I cancel my visa you think and lose my money then apply again before I turn 31?

You may be able to cancel the working holiday visa either by emailing immigration or by setting up an immiacount: https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/login

As long as the visa you have applied for is not activated you shouldn't have a problem applying for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I don't think the visa fees are refundable at all, so you won't get that money back.

If you don't take up the visa within the year it gets cancelled and you can reapply if applicable. IF the age limit doesn't increase to 35 years old then you are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

pete4130 wrote: »
    I don't think the visa fees are refundable at all, so you won't get that money back.

If you don't take up the visa within the year it gets cancelled and you can reapply if applicable. IF the age limit doesn't increase to 35 years old then you are out of luck.

So you dont think I can cancel my visa and forfeit my money and re apply before I turn 31?

Are you sure about this or assuming?

I will ring visa first regarding my issue in the next few days but all customer care team seem foreign and its hard to get anything out of them with accent or maybe I was just unlucky the 2 times I rang when booking to get someone who was hard to understand took ages trying to explain everything.

Thanks for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

As long as you APPLY for the visa again before you turn 31 then you're fine. Your only issue is you will not be able to get the 2nd year extension.

Advertisement