Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes into teaching

Options
  • 23-03-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about a possible career change and looking for a bit of advice. I have a PhD in chemistry and I've been working in pharma for the last four years. I'm not sure it's exactly what I want to be doing though. When I was in college I did a teaching module and loved it, I also took part in peer assisted learning schemes while I did my PhD and loved it. My favourite part of my job at the moment is actually when I give training, unfortunelty it's a very small part of it though. What I'm wondering is has anyone got any advice on how to get into teaching from here? Just giving up my job for a college course isn't an option with a mortgage to pay.
    Just said I'd ask in case anyone else has been in the same situation!
    Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Platnium

I was in a similar position (didn't have phD!), went through Hibernia college - part time, worked full time in pharma.

I worked 4.30 till 1 am shift, was in school at times i did teaching practice. Really hard going but was able to pay bills and study.

Spend a week in a school to see if you'd like it first. Remember - I'm roughly on about 1/4 the wage I had previously. Ouch!

However, I'd advise you to change your role in pharma to more training, more quality assurance role maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

There seems to be a lot of similar threads on here of late, if you have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Beanie5

Thanks Platnium and Rosebush!

Maybe looking into QA is the way to go at the moment, training roles just seem to be so hard to come by.

I might look into Hibernia courses too.

Thanks again!

Advertisement