Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek First Frontier

Options
  • 23-03-2017 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭

1. It’s a fan film about the very first commander of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701, Captain Robert April, and his crew on their maiden voyage of exploration.
    2. It’s a fan film that has custom-built sets in the finest traditions of fan series like Star Trek: New Voyages and Star Trek Continues.
    3. Likewise, the costumes look amazing. They are very similar to Pike-era uniforms, and the attention to detail and continuity is wonderfully impressive.
    4. It’s using actual Screen Actors Guild actors (not that fan films without professional actors can’t be exciting, too, mind you!).
    5. It’s being self-funded by ONE GUY who decided that he wanted to build an actual 11-FOOT MODEL of the original USS Enterprise (like, from the first two Star Trek pilots…the one with the larger bridge deck and pointy needle/antenna thingies on the front of the nacelles) to film the visual effects the “old fashioned way.”

The above appeared on my youtube feed today, first I have heard about this Fan Fiction Film.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

Finally got released.

https://youtu.be/SAlGf5Wfe4g

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seen this advertised on FB alright. Looks great. This should have been what "Enterprise" was about and if they wanted to go to the beginning of the Federation well they could have named that "Birth of the Federation"or "Starfleets journey" or even "The Beginning" personally I prefer the first option I suggested there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Rawr

AMKC wrote: »
    I seen this advertised on FB alright. Looks great. This should have been what "Enterprise" was about and if they wanted to go to the beginning of the Federation well they could have named that "Birth of the Federation"or "Starfleets journey" or even "The Beginning" personally I prefer the first option I suggested there.

Microrprose liked that name too :D

432?cb=20081224182320&path-prefix=en

I kind of miss playing that game...even though it was a headache to colonize anywhere :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rawr wrote: »
    Microrprose liked that name too :D

432?cb=20081224182320&path-prefix=en

I kind of miss playing that game...even though it was a headache to colonize anywhere :P

Was a great game though.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a long time since I thought on fan productions, and that was because of the Axanar controversy; where are fan films left these days? They're obviously still around but I believe they have to adhere to some more stringent rules right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's a long time since I thought on fan productions, and that was because of the Axanar controversy; where are fan films left these days? They're obviously still around but I believe they have to adhere to some more stringent rules right?

This one was already in production at the time so I think it was (or has been so far) given a pass, but yeah - new fan productions are limited to something like 15 minutes and I think need to use officially licensed merchandise for costumes and props? Something like that.

Basically rules out anything like this, or Star Trek Continues, ever happening again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Goodshape wrote: »
    This one was already in production at the time so I think it was (or has been so far) given a pass, but yeah - new fan productions are limited to something like 15 minutes and I think need to use officially licensed merchandise for costumes and props? Something like that.

Basically rules out anything like this, or Star Trek Continues, ever happening again.

God damn Axanar clowns. These fan films aren't to my taste but salute that they exist at all. Or had done, I suppose I should say; those new rules sound like they'd make future productions quite prohibitive for many. The requirement to use officially licensed merchandise is a particularly greedy move.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    God damn Axanar clowns. These fan films aren't to my taste but salute that they exist at all. Or had done, I suppose I should say; those new rules sound like they'd make future productions quite prohibitive for many. The requirement to use officially licensed merchandise is a particularly greedy move.

It was not there fault that what they were making was actually better than the official licensed series that CBS were making. They CBS should have just bought it of them or left them at it. What they were doing was giving dedicated loyal Trek fans something to watch and the casual viewer was not going to watch it only hardcore Trek fans.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    It was not there fault that what they were making was actually better than the official licensed series that CBS were making. They CBS should have just bought it of them or left them at it. What they were doing was giving dedicated loyal Trek fans something to watch and the casual viewer was not going to watch it only hardcore Trek fans.

Whether or not it was well received doesn't come into it. Open to correction but the nub of it all was Axanar sold merchandise - so based on the Trek IP - while IIRC even paid some folks who worked on parts of the production. That goes beyond a fan production, that's just boilerplate copyright stuff. They simply should have known better.

I wouldn't normally / ever side with the giant corporation as a policy but CBS were well within their rights to shut that production down. Otherwise it'd open a giant legal precedent.

Their response on the other hand, not so much. It was completely over the top and punitive to all those who were playing by the rules.

Fundamentally though the blame lied with Axanar trying to make money off someone else's IP, ruining it for everyone else who well understood they were playing with someone else's toys. Like I said, clowns :)

Advertisement