Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci Fi & Fantasy book series

Options
  • 24-03-2017 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭

Normally if I am reading I love to get into a nice series of books for a story. As I drive a bit I also sometimes listen to them in Audio form. Just finished the Stormlight Archive Book 2 from Robert Sanderson. So I am stuck for a new series to get into any suggestions. Suck things I have read are all Lord of the Rings books, The Sword of Truth Series, Song of Ice & Fire series.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Somewhat different to those listed but I thoroughly enjoyed the inheritance trilogy which actually extends to five books. For Sci-fi the Old man's war trilogy is also worth a punt. Quite engrossing, very enjoyable and undemanding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dune series? Be aware the original series are on a whole different level to what his son wrote so I'd start with the original stuff before going for the newer material (which helps flesh out the world a bit but much more flat). Then there's Asimov in general and the Foundation series in particular which is a classic for a reason. On a lighter note you have Vatta's Warand Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon, Moving away from scifi to fantasy as you mentioned GRRM you have the broken empire trilogy, The First Law Trilogy, The Gentleman Bastard series (still not complete), The Kingkiller Chronicle (still not complete), Malazan series (ASoIF on steroids).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Nody wrote: »
    Malazan series (ASoIF on steroids).

Haven't read ASoIF but I'm not sure it does the whole "I made a world but I'm not going to tell you about it". Malazan books are good just leave any ideas of understanding everything that's happening at home. For scfi, Dan Abnett made a cool warhammer 4K series (Gaunts ghosts). Books are not massive too so not a big commitment to start. Re plug the first law trilogy. Get to know Mr 9 fingers. You will not be sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Nody wrote: »
    Dune series? Be aware the original series are on a whole different level to what his son wrote so I'd start with the original stuff before going for the newer material (which helps flesh out the world a bit but much more flat).

I'm of the opinion that his son's "ancient history" books ruin quite a bit of Dune's mystique so I'd suggest ignoring those. The ones that are only a generation or so before Dune are reasonable though. Also, be aware that Frank Herbert's Dune books swing around fairly wildly in theme and style - Dune is an undisputed classic but the rest of them range from good to deeply depressing to "tried something new but didn't really nail it".

The Gap series is a pretty good space opera series though like all of Stephen Donaldson's books, it has some seriously uncomfortable and bleak elements (the first book in particular is filled with sexual assault).

The Dark Tower by Stephen King is definitely worth a read - the first book isn't really reflective of the rest (it's more of a stylistic piece) but does set the scene for them.

I quite like the Laundry Files though they're kind of wavering between being tongue in cheek and taking themselves seriously in the series.

I have a real soft spot for Harry Harrison's stainless steel rat books as well as James Blish's Cities in Flight.

For looser series, China Mieville's Bas-lag books are all excellent, I've a lot of time for Larry Niven's Known Space books, both Hyperion books are excellent, and Tim Power's Fault Lines books (Last Call, Expiration Date and Earthquake Weather) are worth a read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not exactly swords and magic, but the His Dark Materials trilogy is amazing fantasy.

First book is probably what you'd catagorise as YA, but the second two are such rich reading.

Actually my favourite books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've recently completed the original Magician Series (first three books) by Raymond E. Feist on audible. They hold up well and a nice nostalgic listen of a high fantasy series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

There was times it annoyed me a lot but overall in hindsight I liked The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence, it also has a well done audio IMO and the fact its written from one characters perspective makes it easy to follow which can be an issue if listening to stuff while doing something else.

There is also the Black Company series which has a well done audio, I did end up giving up on the series though but might revisit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Thanks all some great looking series to see. On a History kick at the moment with a 3 book series on the American Civil War by Shelby Foote but will check 1 of these out for my next read

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

gees-surprised Robin Hobb is not mentioned....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

*tugs braid and readjusts his stout two river woollen trousers

I don't know books like other people I know but what about Wheel of Time?

• Advertisement
Advertisement