Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello ? Hello there ? Is there anybody left ?

• 24-03-2017 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭

Has this forum been closed ?

It still seem to be able to post, but presume that is only a glitch and that it has been closed down to new threads for most users, or transferred to the All Things Retro forum for nostalgists.
    Still cant figure our how Windows mobile failed. failed. failed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yeah, there's still a few here ... not much happening on the Windows Mobile front at the moment since Microsoft have withdrawn into themselves and focus on an Enterprise play with the platform.

Latest updates run well on Lumia 950, but the platform is just tapping along for now and the forum activity just reflects that.

Of course there's always the unbounding optimism of us Windows Phone crowd: Microsoft will have released a Surface Phone with an ARM process that's able to run x86 apps natively and Continuum making it like magic. ... This time next year, it'll all be different. You just wait and see.... Anyone? uhm, hello? Anyone?

*shuffles off to buy the latest iPhone or Pixel like everyone else*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

The fifth most used phone vendor in Eire at 2.11%. Onward and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The forum is about Windows devices, which includes tablets, PCs, laptops, and VR/AR headsets, as well as mobile devices. Plenty of those categories doing very well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ah, I see. There was no one left.
    And forum names conflicting between 'Windows Mobiles' and 'Windows Devices', depending on which title you look at.
    Guess there was indeed no one left with Windows phone and so it was changed, but not everywhere to 'Windows Devices' to hibernate on the off chance that there will be an awakening.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The forum is about Windows devices, which includes tablets, PCs, laptops, and VR/AR headsets, as well as mobile devices. Plenty of those categories doing very well!

Hence all the posts ! There is probably one most weeks ! So yeh. A lot of users out there.

• Advertisement

It's been called "Windows Devices" as long as I can remember, just like "Apple Devices" or "Android Devices".

I guess I'm not really seeing your point? Should there be countless threads about Windows laptops or something? Most people are really familiar with operating a Windows PC so it doesn't get much in the way of the types of "help me" threads of the Apple Devices forum, or the "oh god why isn't this upgrade working" threads of the Android forum.

Curious. It comes up as 'Windows Mobiles' when I navigate to it from the 'Mobiles' forum (with the other two options being Android Mobiles, and Android Apples).

My point was more it does seem that Windows Mobile is well and truly dead. I didnt foresee it to be honest, but it seems to have been quite a bungling by both Nokia and Microsoft - when I had thought it had a USF with its integration to the windows world of PCs. And adding an alternative to the other two options as a genuinely different look and feel.
    The launch and timing of the various hardware unit seems to have been the downfall. If they had been managed correctly the app gap would not have been so extreme and could have reached sustainability. I presume no one AT ALL is now developing anything for the platform. It would surely be the most foolhardy waste of money. And so the tipping point has been reached where recovery from the nosedive is impossible.

Nokia didn't really have much to do with anything other than providing hardware. Arguably they kept it alive longer than it might have lasted.

Nah, UWP has changed the calculus for developers, and meant that there isn't that complete nosedive you mention because they're still creating universal apps for other Windows platforms, and its a simple thing to launch a mobile one while you're at it.

Microsoft of course would almost certainly know that they're not ever going to attract Windows mobile app developers at this stage, but I think they're still keen on trying new ideas for the platform. Some of the rumours floating about Windows Cloud and CShell and stuff like that suggest a future for Windows on phones that doesn't require a separate OS from the desktop one, just an adaptive UI. They could also have something completely unknown up their sleeve, albeit something that's been hinted by previous efforts, like an iOS->Windows converter or similar for Android.

Either way, from the mobile side, there's a bunch of us here surviving fine with the more recent handsets - we've lived through the whole 'death of the platform' pronouncements several months ago now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

1) Windows Mobile never left beta. So many bugs never fixed.
    2) Its main seller. user group was the budget phones. They pulled out of that, They lost 80% of their users right there.
    3) Without the user numbers (see 2) there was never any incentive for developers to makes apps, compatible websites, or UWP.
    4) Desktop apps and mobile apps are usually very different use cases. I don't look up Dublin bikes from my desktop. I don't develop code on my phone.
    5) There was better hardware on other platforms. Fingerprint scanner etc. The Moto G phones. Chinese Phones.
    6) MS put more effort in developing apps on other platforms than on Windows Phone. (See 2)

Its a decent OS better than Android and IOS in a lot of ways. But like a lot of things MS does. It half develops it, then drops it for the next new thing.

S9ome suggest MS is still running it as a open Beta for its ARM projects. Which may not be phones.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=ARM+servers&oq=ARM+servers&aqs=chrome..69i57.2135j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

beauf wrote: »
    1) Windows Mobile never left beta. So many bugs never fixed.
    2) Its main seller. user group was the budget phones. They pulled out of that, They lost 80% of their users right there.
    3) Without the user numbers (see 2) there was never any incentive for developers to makes apps, compatible websites, or UWP.
    4) Desktop apps and mobile apps are usually very different use cases. I don't look up Dublin bikes from my desktop. I don't develop code on my phone.
    5) There was better hardware on other platforms. Fingerprint scanner etc. The Moto G phones. Chinese Phones.
    6) MS put more effort in developing apps on other platforms than on Windows Phone. (See 2)

Its a decent OS better than Android and IOS in a lot of ways. But like a lot of things MS does. It half develops it, then drops it for the next new thing.

S9ome suggest MS is still running it as a open Beta for its ARM projects. Which may not be phones.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=ARM+servers&oq=ARM+servers&aqs=chrome..69i57.2135j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Agree with a lot of the things you said there, I'm a recent convert to windows mobile i got the lumia 950.

Its buggy yes, but the screen and the sd card storage are a bonus for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The SD Card storage on Windows Phone is vastly better than on Android. So many issues with it on Android.

Theres a lot of like in Windows Phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

beauf wrote: »

There has been a version of Windows that runs on ARM for years. The tech. press seem to forget that and make silly predictions when they remember, and then get confused between Win Mobile and Windows RT.

As Windows can be ported to anything (!), it's best the judge when it's actually released :)

theothernt wrote: »
    There has been a version of Windows that runs on ARM for years. The tech. press seem to forget that and make silly predictions when they remember, and then get confused between Win Mobile and Windows RT.

As Windows can be ported to anything (!), it's best the judge when it's actually released :)

The difference between Windows RT and this new Windows on ARM is that the new one will be able to run desktop apps as well as Store apps. For all intents and purposes, it'll be as fully capable as Windows for Intel processors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

Still here. Been around since the days of 7.5 (it had so much potential with all the embedded social network stuff) on a 950 now.

I'm starting to finally settle into the notion that my next device will most likely be some sort of Android. Unless MS can finally pull that rabbit out of the hat. I'd love to see the surface team make a phone with full x86/64 support or some other wizardry. Their products at the minute are of incredible quality and it was shocking to see the Surface announcement last year completely blow Apples efforts into orbit.

circadian wrote: »
    Still here. Been around since the days of 7.5 (it had so much potential with all the embedded social network stuff) on a 950 now.

I'm starting to finally settle into the notion that my next device will most likely be some sort of Android. Unless MS can finally pull that rabbit out of the hat. I'd love to see the surface team make a phone with full x86/64 support or some other wizardry. Their products at the minute are of incredible quality and it was shocking to see the Surface announcement last year completely blow Apples efforts into orbit.

I think thats the worst thing right now if you're a fan - knowing that there's an amazing hardware team in Microsoft who might not be working on a phone. I think a lot of people could go for years with the current OS and software, but the hardware is gradually fading out of sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Still here, have been since the Lumia 800, and dreading the day my 950xl takes that terminal tumble.

I think it's come on leaps and bounds and were Microsoft to release the 950 today it would be received a lot more favourably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

Most disappointing , I am due an upgrade and contract renewal and there are no options to stick with windows.

The Alcatel Idol 4S is supposed to be a really nice bit of hardware and not too expensive.

Advertisement