Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 2016 - Forgotten Gem?

Options
  • 24-03-2017 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I really enjoyed 2016s Doom, bit I noticed the game was never that popular, I recommend it, if you have played it, what's your opinion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

There's a thread on the 2nd page that's about 35 pages long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be disinclined to call a critically lauded, multi award-winning, and commercially successful blockbuster game from an iconic franchise - and released barely a year ago! - in any way, shape or form 'forgotten' :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Soundtrack was the best new heavy metal album I heard in 2016 too :D

But yes, forgotten it most certainly is not! What a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Kettle_v wrote: »
    I really enjoyed 2016s Doom, bit I noticed the game was never that popular, I recommend it, if you have played it, what's your opinion?

This belongs in the Gaming humour thread.

Most of the boardsies here loved it, check the thread.
    It was voted Best PC Game of 2016, Best Boss Fight of 2016 and was 4th on OVERALL GOTY(across all Platforms) here on boards too..and was runner up in a few other categories.

It has an average of 85 on OpenCritic, it was also up for GOTY at the actual Game Awards of 2016 and won the category of best music.

So I'm not sure where you've been hiding to not see HOW POPULAR it was upon release.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

It being a predominantly single player game probably makes it seem like it's forgotten - there isn't constant chatter about upcoming map packs, modes and things like that or gifs / videos from someone's last session like there is from things like CoD, Battlefield, or even GTA.

But what a fantastic game. And if I need to walk somewhere in a hurry, the Doom soundtrack is my first port of call to get me moving quicker!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Speaking of which has anyone played Zelda Breath of the wild and Horizon Zero Dawn? Thought they were the two best open world games in ages yet it seems nobody has heard of them or played them. I think they are retro forgotten gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Found this free game the other day, League of Legends it's called, doesn't seem that popular. A hidden gem some might say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I played a game last week called The Last of Us. I call it Lost on Us because it seems that it sunk without a trace.

I was playing this other game where you drive around in a car and you can steal other cars and you can rob jewellery shops. The name escapes me at the moment, but it's basically something like Section 112 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001 (taking a vehicle without lawful authority).

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Reminds me of a game I played a few years back that was quite good, think it was called Half Life 2 or something like that. Great game, I thought people would of been clamouring for a sequel but I guess it must of flopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is this the Hipster way of gaming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Has metal jesus patented Hidden Gems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Can we turn this thread in to describing popular games in vague terms? Some fantastic replies.

Quite a good documentary from noclip about it too.

Part 1

Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kettle_v

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    It being a predominantly single player game probably makes it seem like it's forgotten - there isn't constant chatter about upcoming map packs, modes and things like that or gifs / videos from someone's last session like there is from things like CoD, Battlefield, or even GTA.

But what a fantastic game. And if I need to walk somewhere in a hurry, the Doom soundtrack is my first port of call to get me moving quicker!
    True, but I was considering the sales to the multiplayer playerbase at the moment, because certain game types are completely dead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Kettle_v wrote: »
    True, but I was considering the sales to the multiplayer playerbase at the moment, because certain game types are completely dead

Doom isn't multiplayer focused, and it's not why it won awards.
    It's due to the Single player campaign.
    As above and as everyone stated, it's not a forgotten gem...we all know it's great and was great. (there are just other games out there we have to play, and if MP FPS is your thing...there are LOTS more better games out there)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Doom isn't multiplayer focused, and it's not why it won awards.
    It's due to the Single player campaign.
    As above and as everyone stated, it's not a forgotten gem...we all know it's great and was great. (there are just other games out there we have to play, and if MP FPS is your thing...there are LOTS more better games out there)
    Hi.
    I think you were taking this in the wrong context.
    I freaking love Doom. Always have.
    This is one of the best SP experiences I have ever had, but my whole point was that the SnapMap and Multiplayer were never really that popular. I agree with you all in ways, and I think I could rephrase the term "forgotten gem", Although there was never a big Ps4 community that I could find, but maybe that's because some people only come for the SP and don't try out the MP modes, which honestly I found a little nostalgic, reminding me of a Quake/Halo mashup

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speaking of which has anyone played Zelda Breath of the wild and Horizon Zero Dawn? Thought they were the two best open world games in ages yet it seems nobody has heard of them or played them. I think they are retro forgotten gems.
    I appreciate the humour that you are bringing into this, but I think you took my post out of context, what I meant was, it never had an active community online, as it was a mainly solo experience it seemed like it had been forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Let us release our inner Patrick Swayze and spare a thought for Murdered Soul Suspect.

Advertisement