Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Road Pothole warning

Options
  • 24-03-2017 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Cycle this regularly but just to warn people who may not cycle the route regularly. Going in towards town - Between Turnapin Lane (where Jumpzone is) and Santry Close there are 2 massive potholes, actually craters is what I would call them. The council just appeared to cover 2 man holes with tarmac after the road was resurfaced a few years ago but the tarmac has been eroding ever since.
    Each of the potholes is easily 3-4 inches deep and if you hit them on a bike you would know all about it. The first one is about 200 metres from Turmapin Lane with the other one about another 100/150 metres further before you hit the bus stop. Absolutely Lethal so watch out for them !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

www.fixyourstreet.ie/ or fixmystreet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Already sent them an email

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

They are lethal and I would say deeper that 3 or 4 inches and about 2 foot wide. They need to stop patching the manholes and raise them to level with the road :rolleyes: .

There's actually a cycle track on the path beside the road although the line n the path is very worn. Unfortunately its a downhill section leading into a busy bus stop so due the speed built on a bike you're better off staying on the road, even though you have to avoid the ravines.

Agreed about the cycle lane beside it. That bus stop is always busy so safer to stay on the road as you say.
    While I am at it, what genius decided to put plastic bollards outside of Whitehall Church, from the flyover until just before the traffic lights. Talk about making it more dangerous for cyclists as with all the buses queued up you now can't cycle between the bus lane the next lane and have to move out further onto the road to cycle to get past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Agreed about the cycle lane beside it. That bus stop is always busy so safer to stay on the road as you say.
    While I am at it, what genius decided to put plastic bollards outside of Whitehall Church, from the flyover until just before the traffic lights. Talk about making it more dangerous for cyclists as with all the buses queued up you now can't cycle between the bus lane the next lane and have to move out further onto the road to cycle to get past.

Use it every evening and while it is more awkward for cyclists I like to think of the "greater good".

Seems to be a major improvement for bus users.

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Seems to be a major improvement for bus users.

But I'm sure there's steam coming out of taxi drivers ears when they're stuck behind a slow moving cyclist on that stretch.

Hungrycol wrote: »
    But I'm sure there's steam coming out of taxi drivers ears when they're stuck behind a slow moving cyclist on that stretch.

SLOW MOVING CYCLIST ???? Surely there is no such thing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Already sent them an email

Honestly, you're probably better off reporting it through the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...., what genius decided to put plastic bollards outside of Whitehall Church, from the flyover until just before the traffic lights. ....
    That was a stroke of genius. It prevents all the private vehicles who intend to turn left onto Collins Avenue, from accessing the left lane way before they are legally entitled to.

...and it relatively easy to move between the lanes on a bike (unless you're carrying a ladder sideways!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I didn't know what to make of the plastic bollards when I first encountered them but now I'm happy enough with them. I can now cycle safely in the bus lane rather than having to deal with a bus lane full of private vehicles. It gets messy where the bus lane ends but as it's guaranteed I can expect it and deal with it.

And as for taxi drivers beeping at me............. My guardian angels :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That was a stroke of genius. It prevents all the private vehicles who intend to turn left onto Collins Avenue, from accessing the left lane way before they are legally entitled to.

...and it relatively easy to move between the lanes on a bike (unless you're carrying a ladder sideways!)

There goes my window cleaning job so 😂. Just an update, had an email from Fingal County Council operations team who said they were looking into it, the potholes that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... had an email from Fingal County Council operations team who said they were looking into it...
    I've an image now of several lads standing around peering into the hole!

That hole is patched regularly but it really needs to be completely dug up and the pipe work/junction/ironmongery rebuilt as it seems there is a structural flaw which keeps the hole reappearing (not helped by being slapped by a bus every few minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If somebody was so minded would it be plausible to perform vigilate pothole filling? Sure you can fill them with mini gardens but I'm thinking more like temporary fixes that highlight the problem.
    While a man who filled two potholes with concrete in Valletta was briefly arrested on Monday, in the UK a man who did the same thing in Devon got a job offer from the council, but offered to continue filling pot holes for free.
    The UK media reported how Reg Winsor, 72, (picture above) got so fed up waiting for a huge pothole on his street in Devon to be repaired that he took matters into his own hands and fixed the hole himself.
    http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20141211/local/a-hole-lot-of-contrastspothole-vigilante-in-devon-is-offered-a-job-in.547817

These lads did it with tar/cement. Thats not practical. Is there an expanding foam equivalent that hardens? Like a resin maybe. Preferably bright yellow or green.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Even just a can of dayglo spray paint to warn people of the potholes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Even just a can of dayglo spray paint to warn people of the potholes?

Unfortunately that's not an option - this guy tried it for years in Cavan, and nearly got jail for his trouble - looks like local authorities don't like their third-world road conditions being shown up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Type 17 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not an option -
    'two charges of criminal damage'.
    it's possible to damage a pothole?

They're both now patched on my way in this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Hungrycol wrote: »
    They're both now patched on my way in this morning.

Patched until the next rainy day...

Yeah I received an email from Fingal County Council to say that they have been patched which I had noticed myself cycling past them anyway.

It is not a great patch job and is lumpy and you would still swerve to avoid them but if you happen to go over them it wouldn't be as catastrophic as it would have been before they were patched.

• Advertisement
Advertisement