Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

• 24-03-2017 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There seems to be a good early buzz about this show, starting on Friday 31st.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/13-reasons-why

Sounds like a tough watch from the description:
    Clay Jensen (Dylan Minnette) finds a shoe box of cassette tapes from Hannah (Katherine Langford), a classmate he had a crush on that had committed suicide two weeks ago. On tape, Hannah explains that each tape explains how 12 students played a role in her death in this drama series based on the book by Jay Asher.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just beat me to the punch for topic. Think this will be good. Good early reviews

About to start this. Reviews have made my expectations high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Just stumbled across this this morning and I'm after watching the first episode and I'm pretty impressed. Didn't think it'd be my kind of programme, glad I gave it a go. What do other people think of it???
    Your man's mother would wreck your head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭romteilly

I was excited about this from Wednesday, going try get two episodes in tonight and a couple tomorrow, very unique storyline which doesn't come round very often..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've watched the first 2. I'm in no way attracted to men, but find Tony's haircut is very distracting! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

On episode 5, would he ever just get on with it and listen to them!

In saying that, enjoying it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just finished episode 1 and it's a really strong premise, seems like a good cast too.

I only glanced at the plotline to go in as cold as possible and was worried the teen-suicide trope might be a little hackneyed but it's done in a really interesting way.

Great soundtrack too. There's a real throwback vibe to it even though it's set today.

Delighted to see Keiko Agena with a role too, wasn't expecting to see her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just finished it, that was an emotional roller-coaster
    some of the scenes in the last few episodes are a bit disturbing so be aware
    did Alex shoot himself or was it Tyler who made it look like suicide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Skerries wrote: »
    some of the scenes in the last few episodes are a bit disturbing so be aware
    did Alex shoot himself or was it Tyler who made it look like suicide?
    Yeah, it's the first time I had seen that Netflix content warning on a show. Certain scenes were difficult to watch.

And to answer your question
    I'm pretty sure Alex shot himself. While plenty of them were showing warning signs of being at risk of suicide, he was definitely the one leaving the most breadcrumbs. Often wondering aloud what the consequences would be if he killed himself, his trip to the pool, dangerous driving because he didn't care about his safety, putting his room in order beforehand like Hannah did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Rough to watch, in particular the last few. Will need to think about the rest

• Advertisement

I liked it overall. The middle of the season was beginning to drag and nearly everything seemed the same about how someone seemed nice to her then messed her over. She was beginning to get on my nerves with her constant whinging

The last few eps really picked up. Some of the most disturbing scenes ive ever seen in tv and i think sadly you can see why it happened looking at the bigger picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Anyone else cop that the male lawyer is the latino kid from My So Called Life? Was bugging me that he looked familiar, but it just clicked tonight. (Haven't finished the series yet so I've not read the spoilers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Something about this show just resonated with me. I really enjoyed it and felt an attachment to both Hannah and Clay. You know how it's going to end
    but wait in vain hope for it all to be some sort of trick or even alternate reality where someone stops the suicide from happening.

Some of the imagery and cinematography was perfectly realised and even though it probably could have been cut a bit shorter in reflection it's one that I can see myself wanting more of in the future. It wasn't just the 2 leads that were deep and interesting characters, literally everyone was fleshed out and not painted as black or white, bar maybe
    Bryce at the end but even then Justin justifies it

It's rare you'd see something that deals with mental illness in such a forward and outgoing way, it deserves a lot of plaudits for that. It was tough on masculinity and male aggressiveness while not feeling overly (though there was a bit) preachy about it and making you not feel like a character is all bad despite some bad actions.

I'd not heard about it before i seen it on the menu the other day so maybe no expectations helped but I'd recommend it to anyone. Not an easy watch, but a rewarding one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the first time I had seen that Netflix content warning on a show. Certain scenes were difficult to watch.

And to answer your question
    I'm pretty sure Alex shot himself. While plenty of them were showing warning signs of being at risk of suicide, he was definitely the one leaving the most breadcrumbs. Often wondering aloud what the consequences would be if he killed himself, his trip to the pool, dangerous driving because he didn't care about his safety, putting his room in order beforehand like Hannah did

I thought that the
    suicide scene in particular was very hard to watch. Very well handled but definitely made you feel like a voyeur.

In relation to the question.
    I think what was happening was that even though Clay says we need to start treating people better and look out for each other, the makers are showing us that even armed with great intentions, everyone still seems to have missed the warning signs with Alex and Tyler. I initially thought that Tyler was taking down the photo of Alex because he had already dealt with him. But I now think that he was taking it down because Alex was the only one that actually stood up for him even if he immediately rebuked him so he was taking him off his list of targets. The irony being that Alex had already shot himself. I think the problem was that the scene where Tyler buys the gun plants a different seed in your head. I think it was unnecessary. All they had to do was show that scene in the last episode where Tyler is hiding the guns.

Good show though and one I'd recommend to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Just finished ep 3 it's pure bulling/ assault what she is putting up with

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finished it. Very good, I thought. Particularly the two leads and the bereaved mother (Kate Walsh). It brought together public humiliation, being undermined, escalation and other threads in a way that you see how it would contribute to the final outcome. I'd say its feminist thesis (or inklings), if you can call it that, was pretty spot on without being heavy handed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

That was powerful stuff and hard to watch at times.
    The last episode especially. I didn't think the actual suicide scene was necessary as the build up was done so well, so much so, I felt willing at the screen that she didn't go through with it, but it didn't matter at that stage as the story is based on retrospective and we know what happens. Also learning of Alex's attempt on his own life at the end left an impact on the whole stories moral of "looking out for each other", in that now the story has possibly two needless losses of life.

Overall a very good production dealing with a tough subject, but would highly recommend.

Maureen Ryan and Ryan McGee make a pretty good case for this not getting a second season, based on the story and character arcs.

Spoiler podcast here.

Jees that was a tough watch. Very well done I thought
    Need a bit of time to process it all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Maureen Ryan and Ryan McGee make a pretty good case for this not getting a second season, based on the story and character arcs.

Spoiler podcast here.

I would have to agree with a lot of that, trying to expand any more in a season 2 would serve only to dilute the narrative. For me it is perfect as a standalone season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just finished and agree with what everyone else has said so far - brilliantly done and tough to watch at times.

I didn't cop that
    Jeff was only appearing in the flashbacks until the beginning of
    episode 10, so didn't see that one coming.

I found myself sympathising with most of the characters despite their wrongdoings with the obvious exception of
    Bryce - just pure scumbag through and through
    , but I also felt
    Courtney & Marcus
    had very few redeeming qualities compared to the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Mr.S wrote: »
    On the last episode...
    We see Tyler with a trunk full of guns, and then within the school he hangs up photos of everyone (but takes down Alex because he stood up for Tyler) - are we to assume Tyler then goes ahead and...shoots everyone? It's the only thing I can't figure out. More so, why they only included this in the last 10 mins of the finale, along with Alex's suicide attempt. Both are big plot developments and I would have thought they'd dedicate a little more to them. The school shooting suggestion just seems really out of place.
    Is it not possible that Tyler has started getting his revenge and Alex was the first? Season 2 could be Tylers "13 reasons why"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If it's Tyler killing Alex first, then why the need to show the flashback of Alex standing up for him?

I very much doubt we will see a season two, the story just wouldn't work.
    Yeah the show without Hannah would feel pretty empty

Watching the first episode again is very interesting after finishing it. You notice a whole lot of little things that seemingly mean very little the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah the show without Hannah would feel pretty empty

Watching the first episode again is very interesting after finishing it. You notice a whole lot of little things that seemingly mean very little the first time.

You mean you started to watch it again? 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If it's Tyler killing Alex first, then why the need to show the flashback of Alex standing up for him?

I very much doubt we will see a season two, the story just wouldn't work.

Personally I think
    that Alex killed himself, for the same reasons mentioned earlier in the thread (cleaning the room, dirving fast etc)

But It is possible
    that Tyler killed Alex first as he is going to draw out the killings and make the people who are left til last to be ****ting bricks,
    and because Alex stood up for him he wanted him to suffer the least.

Not related to above:
    I thought the suicide scene was one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever watched, it was gruesome. Showing the parents coming in was incredible powerful as well

Over all I thought the show was great, it's not with out flaws
    "Wait til you get to your tape Clay" is mentioned a bit, except Clay didn't really do much wrong especially on his tape,
    in fact he did worse things during other flashbacks. I'm not sure if its just to scare him

I think some of the story telling is really good
    e.g. Jeff being in flashbacks but not being mentioned at all in the earlier flashbacks

naughto wrote: »
    Just finished ep 3 it's pure bulling/ assault what she is putting up with

Finished ep 9 think clays dad has heard the tapes could be wrong though.

naughto wrote: »
    Finished ep 9 think clays dad has heard the tapes could be wrong though.

Don't think that happened. Might be useful to use spoiler tags from now on though. Just so you don't give anything away.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Poor show, trying to deal with serious issues but handle badly. It's not far from shows like Dawson Creek etc. Clearly set up for season 2 by the ending. God knows how they drag it out. Also, thank god Hannah made 13 tapes which are how many episodes is in a normal run of Netflix shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I've only watched the first episode and I will stick it out till the end but I have to say I'm not really enjoying it. Even though its only been 10 years since I was a teenager, I feel a little out of touch with the teenagers on this show. It really feels like it wasn't made for my generation. Honestly though the main reason I'm not enjoying it is how they are dealing with suicide. I understand what they are trying to do and its admirable but so far its coming across that her suicide was an act of revenge. A way to get one up on all the people the f**ked her over. I don't know maybe my option will change on that as I watch the show. So far for me it doesn't feel like an accurate portrayal of suicide and what someone is really going through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Everyone seems to be talking about Lord Huron song The Night We Met. I have been a fan for years. Great band. I hope this does good things for them

smilerf wrote: »
    Everyone seems to be talking about Lord Huron song The Night We Met. I have been a fan for years. Great band. I hope this does good things for them

Yeah, I downloaded the album after hearing the song in that episode with the slow dance. Actually, there was a pretty good soundtrack throughout the whole series and I'm after acquainting myself with some of the other artists that were on it like Jr Jr and the Agent Intellect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Yeah, I downloaded the album after hearing the song in that episode with the slow dance. Actually, there was a pretty good soundtrack throughout the whole series and I'm after acquainting myself with some of the other artists that were on it like Jr Jr and the Agent Intellect.
    I'll give them a look :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

This is quite excellent so far (six episodes in), and the soundtrack is sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A superbly acted show (Minnette and Langford in particular) and could be the most daring thing Netflix have done in terms of subject matter and tone.

Some very interesting characters mixed with some real one-dimensional characters but goddamn if it wasn't enthralling throughout (bar one or two episodes if the middle section around the Jessica-Alex-Justin-Bryce-etc love triangle).

Cracking soundtrack to boot..

Netflix proving they're still capable of not just delivering solid seasons of existing shows, but also delivering sterling original new shows with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Just about to finish this, and while at times it does go into the Dawson's Creek/Veronica Mars "teens are smarter than adults" trope, overall it is a ****ing ​beautiful piece of art that will hopefully cause people to bring their darkness into the light.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought it was really well done. The Dawson Creek comparisons are earned, but frankly that’s the sort of treatment subject matters like this need so that young people will engage with them. Some may feel suicide etc is too serious to be trivialised by a teen tv show, but the alternative usually involves not talking about it all.

I personally hope the show gets a second season dealing with some of the other issues hinted at in the finale. Young people need shows like this.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This show should be shown in schools to give them a visual as to how their behaviour can affect other people, including suicide itself. All schools have now is 'bullying is bad, m'kay' with nothing to give students an idea as to how the likes of bullying and suicide affects those around them.

Netflix absolutely hit the nail on the head when it came to raising the issues. Outstanding job, and what a performance by Katherine Langford too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Finished this last night. The suicide scene St the end affected me more than anything I've ever seen in movies or a TV show.

Something I noticed but didn't put together immediately was
    during the scene at the dance, where Jeff convinces Clay to go to Hannah, he has a head wound at one stage, for a few seconds. Foreshadowing what would come. Also, early on, it's mentioned that 2 students had died. That flew over my head

Also, when
    Zach is being interviewed on camera, the time stamp is November 2017. Well in advance. Because apparently Clay started listening to the tapes around Halloween. And Hannah died a few weeks before. So was it 2016 or 2017 when she died? Im not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Excellent show with very uncomfortable viewing at times. I'm in no way a big softie but I really wanted everything to be somehow ok in the end for Clay and Hannah. Knowing that she goes ahead with it made the suicide scene even more powerful somehow. Very hard hitting. Top stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

Truly excellent show. Tough viewing at times but excellent throughout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Binged on this over the weekend, the last few episodes were pretty harrowing in places.

I felt some of the acting was poor enough in places throughout but the overall story was more important. Compelling viewing and would definitely reccommend it.
    The suicide scene is probably the most distrubing thing I have watched on TV in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great show and very captivating though at times I wished it were a little more grounded. It switches between between being relatable and plausible - obviously we were all that age once - and then at other times it's just so ludicriously far fetched and teen-angst-soap opera. Overall though, it is a great watch. The leads playing Clay and Hannah are really excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dixxiestickks

Poor show, trying to deal with serious issues but handle badly. It's not far from shows like Dawson Creek etc. Clearly set up for season 2 by the ending. God knows how they drag it out. Also, thank god Hannah made 13 tapes which are how many episodes is in a normal run of Netflix shows.
    Its actually based on a book written in 2007 - I read it when I was 15. They've obviously modernised

it for the series but the storyline is the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I thought it was really well done. The Dawson Creek comparisons are earned, but frankly that’s the sort of treatment subject matters like this need so that young people will engage with them. Some may feel suicide etc is too serious to be trivialised by a teen tv show, but the alternative usually involves not talking about it all.

I personally hope the show gets a second season dealing with some of the other issues hinted at in the finale. Young people need shows like this.

Yeah and it's adapted from a young adult book, so the CW type drama didn't bother me. It was so well acted and moving I could forgive it for that tone.

There was so much to like really but I'll try to keep it short. The acting of the two main leads for one. I'm familiar with Dylan Minnette but not Katherine Langford. They were strong on their own but together their chemistry was amazing. Perhaps one of the most beautiful friendships I've seen depicted on either medium.

Overall the cast was great, and I really liked the whole dynamic across a diverse group of actors. Tony and Jeff in particular deserve credit, really enjoyed their parts in the story.

I was actually surprised at how many different moments stunned me in how much the situation was recognisable to me either through observation or experience. Not many shows have done that to me.

On the negative side I did feel the plot was contrived at times and the linear format of the storytelling from Clay's POV started to lose its punch around the middle (but picked up again at the end). Having people yell at clay to hurry up and listen to the tapes doesn't quite make up for that. You could tell as well that with some of the tapes such as Zach's, Ryan's and Marcus' that they were filler with not near enough going on to justify an entire episode. I really think these episodes could have been better worked in order to flesh things out a little more. But I understand that there was source material to adhere to.

As I said Katherine Langford's performance was excellent but I wasn't quite convinced by Hannah's downward spiral at times. Just little things like her appearance being always immaculate just didn't reflect mental health at its depths for me. Vanessa Ives in Penny Dreadful is what I would describe as a true example of someone fighting a perpetual war within themselves. That being said I had no problem with the culmination of Hannah's story. It was extremely hard to watch but I think that was the point.

I wasn't mad about Alisha Boe as Jessica. I had no problem with her initially but as the significance of her role became increasingly evident I don't think she quite pulled it off.

Ultimately an imperfect but beautiful piece of storytelling. Really enjoyed it, and Hannah's fate will have me brooding for a while. Can't give it much better praise than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Honestly I couldn't bring myself to finish it. For me it's really unenjoyable, kind of boring, I don't really feel like the characters are likeable or relatable and I just find the whole premise of making tapes about the people who led you to commit suicide really odd and not a good representation of someone who is suicidal. Also the acting was decent but nothing to write home about....except for Kate Walsh who is phenomenal in the show.

However, I also see what they are trying to do and it is in some ways its sending a positive message about how you should treat people. I also understand this was not really made for me but the for the teens of today so my opinion doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Honestly I couldn't bring myself to finish it. For me it's really unenjoyable, kind of boring, I don't really feel like the characters are likeable or relatable and I just find the whole premise of making tapes about the people who led you to commit suicide really odd and not a good representation of someone who is suicidal.

Well yes it is an "odd" thing to do but I suppose that's a reflection of the point Hannah was at by the time she started the tapes I. E. not in a very good place that she had resolved to commit suicide.

The actual making of the tapes perhaps doesn't reflect reality for most people who have committed suicide but the tapes are just a convenient plot device that as I said does get tedious at times.

But beyond the tapes I think there's a lot of stuff there that people can identify with.

Honestly I couldn't bring myself to finish it. For me it's really unenjoyable, kind of boring, I don't really feel like the characters are likeable or relatable and I just find the whole premise of making tapes about the people who led you to commit suicide really odd and not a good representation of someone who is suicidal. Also the acting was decent but nothing to write home about....except for Kate Walsh who is phenomenal in the show.

However, I also see what they are trying to do and it is in some ways its sending a positive message about how you should treat people. I also understand this was not really made for me but the for the teens of today so my opinion doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

I think it was to make people aware how certain people take things differently and by or actions to other people we should take a step back before we do or say stuff.
    A lot of the stuff would not bother most of us that was in the show she desperately wanted to be popular but when she was it was for all the wrong reasons in her eyes.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    As I said Katherine Langford's performance was excellent but I wasn't quite convinced by Hannah's downward spiral at times. Just little things like her appearance being always immaculate just didn't reflect mental health at its depths for me. Vanessa Ives in Penny Dreadful is what I would describe as a true example of someone fighting a perpetual war within themselves. That being said I had no problem with the culmination of Hannah's story. It was extremely hard to watch but I think that was the point.

Penny Dreadful is a gothic melodrama - most people with depression aren't going to acting out their mental state like that. I don't think it's a true reflection of mental illness at all. It's like that perception we have of someone drowning - that they will be thrashing and flailing around when that doesn't happen at all.

I've known people that killed themselves and it came as a bolt out of the blue. Nothing would have changed in their appearance or demeanour to us in the outside world so it felt very shocking. I knew someone quite well that suffered badly from depression and anxiety - they would have always presented themselves immaculately to the outside world. That's why it can be so hard to spot with a lot of people and
    Alex's suicide attempt
    highlights this. Lots of things make sense in retrospect but they are usually small and subtle things that a lot of us don't over-analyse day to day.

Obviously the whole tapes thing is an over-dramatic plot device and one that completely strains credulity but all in all, I think they handled the depression side of things pretty well. Genuinely hoped they leave it at that though and don't try and make another season of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From a dramatic point of view, the show probably could have done a better job of showing her internal mental state, i.e. the hidden pain which caused her to commit suicide. But on the other hand, too much presentation of her depression might cause people to dismiss the show's central message, which is about empathy and considering the effect your actions can have on people around you. "They seemed fine" is a common refrain after a suicide, but far too many people assume everyone is fine unless they write up a report explaining why they aren't. There's a kinda weird bureaucracy in how we treat mental and emotional suffering, which I thought the show nailed in how the school counsellor dealt with Hannah.

Penny Dreadful is a gothic melodrama - most people with depression aren't going to acting out their mental state like that. I don't think it's a true reflection of mental illness at all. It's like that perception we have of someone drowning - that they will be thrashing and flailing around when that doesn't happen at all.

I've known people that killed themselves and it came as a bolt out of the blue. Nothing would have changed in their appearance or demeanour to us in the outside world so it felt very shocking. I knew someone quite well that suffered badly from depression and anxiety - they would have always presented themselves immaculately to the outside world. That's why it can be so hard to spot with a lot of people and
    Alex's suicide attempt
    highlights this. Lots of things make sense in retrospect but they are usually small and subtle things that a lot of us don't over-analyse day to day.

Obviously the whole tapes thing is an over-dramatic plot device and one that completely strains credulity but all in all, I think they handled the depression side of things pretty well. Genuinely hoped they leave it at that though and don't try and make another season of it.

That's true, I guess it is different for everyone and I've seen it myself with people I wouldn't had guessed they were struggling.

Penny Dreadful may be a gothic horror but underneath all the sensationalism there was something quite real to me about Vanessa's inner war, when actively trying to destroy everything that was good in her life. I have seen that as well.

To borrow a saying, depression does have many faces.

EDIT as an aside, bullying and suicide has always been a sore topic on boards. I'd be really curious to hear the views of those who are of the mentality that the bully's role in someone's suicide is minimal after reading this.
    You could see it in the outright cruel denial of both Marcus and Courtney and the indifference of both characters in sullying someone's reputation further in order to make themselves feel better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement