Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Its actually based on a book written in 2007 - I read it when I was 15.

Ben Gadot wrote:
    Yeah and it's adapted from a young adult book, so the CW type drama didn't bother me. It was so well acted and moving I could forgive it for that tone.

Does the book end the same way as the series? Really enjoyed this, disturbing as it was, but found the ending quite abrupt and would've liked to find out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    Does the book end the same way as the series? Really enjoyed this, disturbing as it was, but found the ending quite abrupt and would've liked to find out more.

I've heard the book does a bit less detail actually and just deals with Clay and the tapes a lot. 288 pages so not that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Honestly I couldn't bring myself to finish it. For me it's really unenjoyable, kind of boring, I don't really feel like the characters are likeable or relatable and I just find the whole premise of making tapes about the people who led you to commit suicide really odd and not a good representation of someone who is suicidal. Also the acting was decent but nothing to write home about....except for Kate Walsh who is phenomenal in the show.

However, I also see what they are trying to do and it is in some ways its sending a positive message about how you should treat people. I also understand this was not really made for me but the for the teens of today so my opinion doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

I agree. I found the premise totally peculiar. I get what they were trying to do but suicide is one of topics that needs to be handled with care, and not glorified or glamorised like I feel this show kind of does with the tapes etc.. like a weird puzzle. I can assure you there will be copy cats because of this. I just found it kind of weird that I was sitting there willing to get to episode 13 to see how she kills herself. I didn't like it. It was odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Maybe it was just me but how she killed herself was the last thing I was thinking about watching the show. It was Clay and Hannah's friendship that I was preoccupied with so I was just interested in how Clay fell into things as part of the tapes.

I'll be surprised if there are copy cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

anna080 wrote: »
    I agree. I found the premise totally peculiar. I get what they were trying to do but suicide is one of topics that needs to be handled with care, and not glorified or glamorised like I feel this show kind of does with the tapes etc.. like a weird puzzle. I can assure you there will be copy cats because of this. I just found it kind of weird that I was sitting there willing to get to episode 13 to see how she kills herself. I didn't like it. It was odd.

That is odd, I was willing her not to even though I knew it was already done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I started watching this when it came out but kind of dismissed it as another moralistic teenagers story but maybe I'll finish it now given the reviews on here.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Yeah, I never wanted to get to that point. I could have done without seeing the act itself as I don't think it was necessary to show but I understand why they did. The funny thing about it is that people are mentioning potential copy cats, but if anything I'd say that scene would have the opposite effect.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

I guess I worded that wrong. I wasn't willing her to do it, I was willing to see does she do it, and why and how. That made me uncomfortable. I suppose I should add that I haven't seen the last two episodes yet. I'm not sure I want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

The cinematography of Clay following the map while listening to the tapes with Hannah fading in and out telling her story was excellent. I honestly feel it allowed the viewer to almost experience the show rather than simply watch it and its a powerful experience.

Well done to Netflix for making this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Completely binged on this for 2 days until completion. I was hooked from the beginning! As much as I'd love a season 2 I think its best to leave it be and remember it for what it was

Hannah's suicide scene is one of the toughest things ive watched on tv,still shook from it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm not sure what I think yet. A lot of it is that whole, teenagers written by adults shtick, which always turns me off these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I thought it wasn't very credible at all, acting was weak and it dragged out far too much, dialogue isn't nearly captivating enough to hold your attention over the series. And most of all it wasn't very representative a truly suicidal person.

Saying all that I can see how teenagers could be impacted by it, and if it leads to kids thinking twice before mindless bullying then it's actually had a very unique effect. Which then had me thinking it was probably dumbed down on purpose so it would reach a wider audience and have as big a impact as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't very credible at all, acting was weak and it dragged out far too much, dialogue isn't nearly captivating enough to hold your attention over the series. And most of all it wasn't very representative a truly suicidal person.

Saying all that I can see how teenagers could be impacted by it, and if it leads to kids thinking twice before mindless bullying then it's actually had a very unique effect. Which then had me thinking it was probably dumbed down on purpose so it would reach a wider audience and have as big a impact as possible.

I'd have to disagree with you Rekop. I think this is one of the cleverest shows I've seen. It works on a lot of levels and raises many questions. I don't think it was "dumbed down"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd disagree big time also.

I thought it was superbly acted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

most of all it wasn't very representative a truly suicidal person.

A number of people have made this point and I have to disagree just on the basis that we don't know what is going through a suicidal persons mind or how they will act and outwardly project themselves. It is a presumption to say a suicidal person will act in such and such a way, and maybe that was part of what they were trying to get across that we may not recognise when a person is suicidal.

Overall I enjoyed it as a series, it did drag a little in the middle but far better than a lot of what is out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I thought it wasn't very credible at all, acting was weak[
    Which acting? The main leads (Clay and Hannah) got almost universal praise from critics.
    And most of all it wasn't very representative a truly suicidal person.
    How so? In many cases there aren't any outward signs, that's the sad thing. What do you expect to have happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yester wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with you Rekop. I think this is one of the cleverest shows I've seen. It works on a lot of levels and raises many questions. I don't think it was "dumbed down"

Come on, it's hugely dumbed down and extremely contrived. I personally find the most moving and thought provoking shows have more subtly to them, like Black Mirror which deals with challenging matters in a far more skillful way.

But as I said I can see why it would have mass appeal and plenty of good can come from it so from that perspective they've succeeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Come on, it's hugely dumbed down and extremely contrived. I personally find the most moving and thought provoking shows have more subtly to them, like Black Mirror which deals with challenging matters in a far more skillful way.

I really enjoy Black Mirror but I don't think I'd ever call it subtle - essentially it's Tharg's Future Shocks from 2000AD brought to the TV screen.

The central plotline is a contrivance for sure but I thought the series had a deftness of touch that I don't think I've ever really seen in other teen dramas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Harrowing scene

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Very hard to watch -
    The dead-eyed stare as her head lay on the edge of the hot-tub was very upsetting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I'm a bit on the fence on this show to be honest. The acting was very good the storyline was powerful and tapes concept was intriguing but I found the season way too long and found myself becoming uninterested by the very end. A bit like a lot of the Marvel tv shows I think a single storyline is too hard to sustain for 13 episodes. Definitely could only see it as a single season show.

Very hard to watch -
    The dead-eyed stare as her head lay on the edge of the hot-tub was very upsetting
    I had a feeling of dread when she was left alone and thought she'd run a mile once she saw Bryce but I then I remembered she couldn't identify Bryce when he raped Jessica. Was just awful watching it unfold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

But as I said I can see why it would have mass appeal and plenty of good can come from it so from that perspective they've succeeded.

You can't be comparing things to Black Mirror, that's setting the bar way too high. (Loved that show)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Black Mirror runs to a different beat. Self-contained stories, social commentary on the impact of technology, certain parts of modern culture. It's unsettling too, just in another way. Brooker and his team deserve credit for it, of course.

13 Reasons for me had a lingering sense of escalation throughout. Hannah's social credibility is damaged, things happen to her personally, stuff happens in her family. It's understandable that she'd consider suicide. I haven't seen Dawson's Creek, tbh and can't think of a comparable piece. Grew up with the Wonder Years and such. I was happy with how they put 13 Reasons together. Mass appeal? Whilst this is Netflix, I'd say it's too early to judge yet outside of the internet. Can't see it being the next House of Cards of Stranger Things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Not sure how I feel about this. Unless they do something different this will severely weaken the first season. For a start the title itself will be meaningless!
    There's some outstanding plot lines and one with story potential but it shouldn't just copy the first in format.

Is the book a series or standalone? Can't say I'm thrilled with the prospect without Hannah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Probably be about Alex maybe?

• Advertisement

A new set of tapes from Hannah will be discovered. Sneak preview below:

Tape 1 Side A - "One of the things I've always enjoyed is a cup of coffee on the way into school. Well on one terrible day that coffee was lukewarm. I tried to understand why someone would serve me lukewarm coffee? What did I do to them to get such a cold reception? Coffee barista - this is your tape".

Tape 2 Side B - "I went to get on the bus to go to the cinema. When I got on board, I nodded to the driver but the driver barely acknowledged me back. Why did this bus driver not see me? Am I invisible like I seem to be to everyone? This tape is about you bus driver".

Tape 4 Side A- "I was hungry that day and I bought a Mars bar, wanting a sugar buzz to help lift me up from all the crap around me. I handed over a $1 for a bar that should have cost me just 85c. When I left the shop I realised I had only gotten 10c in change. It may just seem like I was only short changed by 5c but all my life I've always been short changed. My friends, my family - I've always not gotten back what I deserved. So yeah, shop assistant - it's time for you to own up. Welcome to your tape".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

ixoy wrote: »
    Tape 4 Side A- "I was hungry that day and I bought a Mars bar, wanting a sugar buzz to help lift me up from all the crap around me. I handed over a $1 for a bar that should have cost me just 85c. When I left the shop I realised I had only gotten 10c in change. It may just seem like I was only short changed by 5c but all my life I've always been short changed. My friends, my family - I've always not gotten back what I deserved. So yeah, shop assistant - it's time for you to own up. Welcome to your tape".
    Mars bars are called Milky Ways in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Spoiler (duh)
    So... she put Clay on the tapes cos she asked him to leave... and cos he couldn't read her mind and did so? And she admits he was a good guy and didn't deserve to be on the tapes, but she ****ed him up anyway? What the ****.

Spoiler (duh)
    So... she put Clay on the tapes cos she asked him to leave... and cos he couldn't read her mind and did so? And she admits he was a good guy and didn't deserve to be on the tapes, but she ****ed him up anyway? What the ****.

She didn't fcuk him up, it was the words of other people on the tapes that did by trying to intimidate Clay. She didn't put him on the tapes for not leaving she put him on the tapes because she loved him. That's the tragic thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Season 2 is pointless without the driving force of the show. What is it without the relationship between Hannah and Clay? Should have been closed off this season. The school shooting aspect at the end was tacked on and felt a bit ridiculous. Tyler was a stalker and got called out on it. Instead of changing he decides to shoot up the place? Not buying it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

anna080 wrote:
    This pretty much sums up my views on the show

Is it a spoiler?

pilly wrote: »
    Is it a spoiler?

Yes I should have specified. There are spoilers included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

She verbalised everything I couldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Did anybody else here think
    Tony was a ghost or somehow not real for a large proportion of the show? I assumed he was the second student mentioned by the teacher until Jeff's death was revealed [\spoiler]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Interesting blog post, I had not read the book
    but its interesting how the book choose pills while the show went razor as the method. Obviously more shock value, I didn't feel right for a while after seeing that scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was a hard watch those last three episodes might have some of the toughest three hours of film I have ever watched.

All credit to the young actors for their performances in telling this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

That was a hard watch those last three episodes might have some of the toughest three hours of film I have ever watched.

All credit to the young actors for their performances in telling this story.

Did you watch the extra documentary after- I felt a bit more settled when I'd seen that. It was tough viewing.

Did you watch the extra documentary after- I felt a bit more settled when I'd seen that. It was tough viewing.

Watching it now.

Watching it now.

Didn't know there was an extra documentary. Is it separate to the shows Themselves?

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Didn't know there was an extra documentary. Is it separate to the shows Themselves?

It comes straight after episode 13.

If you go into episodes it will list the episodes and trailers and the 30 minute doc with the cast and crew.

Quiet strange hearing Hannah's real Aussie accent.

It comes straight after episode 13.

If you go into episodes it will list the episodes and trailers and the 30 minute doc with the cast and crew.

Quiet strange hearing Hannah's real Aussie accent.

Thanks brother.

Ya, I was surprised to learn she's an Aussie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ixoy wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about this. Unless they do something different this will severely weaken the first season. For a start the title itself will be meaningless!
    There's some outstanding plot lines and one with story potential but it shouldn't just copy the first in format.

Online naysayers who didn't want a second season, this is your tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Agree with other posters, last few episodes were tough going. One of the few times to turn away from the screen.

I have never seen any "This episode contains ..." warnings on Netflix before.

The show really demonstrates "The Butterfly Effect", you have no idea how your comments or actions impact someone else. An innocuous comment to you, could be taken as more hurtful by the recipient.

Some of Hannah's reasons were totally bizarre. Being put on a list for having a nice ass? Really? And the stop sign one. Clearly Jenny didn't mean for the accident to happen. And leading Clay to believe that he was a reason when all along he wasn't? She totally messed him up and tortured him. The poor guy. The scene when he listens to his tape and breaks down crying actually made me cry. She was so unneedlessly difficult, cruel and manipulative. IMO Hannah is a bitch who expected the world to constantly chase after her, and she put everyone on those tapes through emotional and psychological torment.

The scene with her and Clay at the house party actually made me livid. I understand why she pushed him away but she increasingly gets on Clay's case for missing the point yet expects him to read her mind after being shouted at. Emotional torture of the worst kind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement