Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Before the last few episodes I too thought Hannah was a bit of a drama queen before the whole story was revealed. Something terrible did happen to her when she already was in a very depressed state so I did feel sorry for her and the decision she made.probably one of the best season finales I've seen this year. The story has no where to go with a second season.

I thought most of the mental torture was coming from Tony. He was a pretty bad friend to Clay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I have never seen any "This episode contains ..." warnings on Netflix before.

They're going to increase them shortly.
    There has been a tremendous amount of discussion about our series 13 Reasons Why. While many of our members find the show to be a valuable driver for starting important conversation with their families, we have also heard concern from those who feel the series should carry additional advisories. Currently the episodes that carry graphic content are identified as such and the series overall carries a TV-MA rating. Moving forward, we will add an additional viewer warning card before the first episode as an extra precaution for those about to start the series and have also strengthened the messaging and resource language in the existing cards for episodes that contain graphic subject matter, including the URL 13ReasonsWhy.info — a global resource center that provides information about professional organizations that support help around the serious matters addressed in the show.

Variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

They're going to increase them shortly.

Variety

I think it's a good idea to have the warning at the very start. I found the first few episodes upsetting even though they weren't as graphic as the later ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not a fan of the content warnings. Not only are they spoilerish, but I think they magnify the impact of said scenes because you spend the whole episode braced for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ton of spoilers guys!! I'm still watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Not a fan of the content warnings. Not only are they spoilerish, but I think they magnify the impact of said scenes because you spend the whole episode braced for it.

Same as. Found them a bit annoying. It would be great if there were an option of turning them off for those of us not of a sensitive position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Turned it on tonight, got to episode two. I'm finding it a bit slow, do you recommend staying with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

gizmo81 wrote:
    Turned it on tonight, got to episode two. I'm finding it a bit slow, do you recommend staying with it?

I found it slow aswell and having watched it all, don't think it was worth staying with it til the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

gizmo81 wrote: »

Yes. When i was giving my recommendation to one of the lads i told him that if he can manage past the first two you're gold. Stick with it, it's not the greatest show ever, but it's worth seeing to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I didn't find it gripping until episode 9. Could take it or leave it before then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Thanks, I'll watch on for a bit so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'd stick with it. It's not a fantastic show or anything and I think there's major issues around the whole activism side of it, but when you take it for what it is, which is just a tv show, it's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Just finished this.

For the first episode or two, I thought it was a really interesting concept. Then, to be honest, I thought several episodes dragged, and I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the tapes/reasons. But the last couple of episodes were really excellent, gripping stuff, and you kind of see why a lot of the "noise" and minor crap in the middle episodes was all actually quite necessary for the whole story.

The hot-tub scene and the actual suicide scene, I found both quite upsetting and shocking and sad, but very well done.

I guess it seems likely the the second season will be about a school shooting, and the "13 reasons why" he felt the need to do it. It kind of dilutes the whole concept of this season in my opinion, it's a pity they didn't decide to do it as a whole separate stand-alone show.

I just finished it and I'm not sure if it could possibly encourage more teenagers to commit suicide if I'm honest.

At lot of the time they just want people to know how much they hurt them and this does that.

Don't know, find it a bit worrying. Definitely left the way open for a second one.

pilly wrote: »
    I just finished it and I'm not sure if it could possibly encourage more teenagers to commit suicide if I'm honest.

At lot of the time they just want people to know how much they hurt them and this does that.

Don't know, find it a bit worrying. Definitely left the way open for a second one.

Yep. For the most impressionable and vulnerable youngster, its the ultimate suicide revenge fantasy.

Yeah I could see how a young teenager could potentially idolise the central character and want to even be like her and that in itself could end up glamourising the suicide aspect of the story. Having said that it is certified 18 isn't it?

When I was watching it, during some of the earlier episodes, I did have the thought it could be good for teenagers to be more aware maybe how harmful bullying can be but overall having watched it all, I would say it would probably do more harm than good being viewed by a young impressionable teenager.

I agree that it could be bad for teeneagers and I think that a big issue is that it never address' mental health issues. Not really. I think it can give the vibe of "she was bullied, she killed her self" not that she was bullied which fed into a depression and her self worth.

Also I think she totally set up the school counsellor to fail. He was trying to help her. That scene was awful. Especially when she looked back and expected him to be chasing after her after she left the room. He had no reason to be on those tapes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

anna080 wrote: »
    Also I think she totally set up the school counsellor to fail. He was trying to help her. That scene was awful. Especially when she looked back and expected him to be chasing after her after she left the room. He had no reason to be on those tapes.

Don't think so. His listening skills in that scene were pretty awful (inexcusably, I felt) and he was distracted by his phone.

Don't think so. His listening skills in that scene were pretty awful (inexcusably, I felt) and he was distracted by his phone.

Distracted by his phone how? He can't help if his phone kept ringing. He kept putting it away and insisted on listening to her. He was careful not to make her uncomfortable or force her into saying something she's not ready to address. He tried to get her to open up but she wouldn't. It's a tricky line, imo, and that scene highlighted this.
    I believe he didn't belong on the tapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you are the school counsellor talking with a student you turn your phone off completely while with a student having a phone ring while anyone is being counselled is a total lack of respect for that student.

Most people will look for any reason not to disclose what is wrong with them and by having his phone there and ringing gave Hannah that excuse not to fully disclose and leave his attention was more on that phone than Hannah.

The world we live now people phones are more important than the job they are supposed to be doing.

If you are the school counsellor talking with a student you turn your phone off completely while with a student having a phone ring while anyone is being counselled is a total lack of respect for that student.

Most people will look for any reason not to disclose what is wrong with them and by having his phone there and ringing gave Hannah that excuse not to fully disclose and leave his attention was more on that phone than Hannah.

The world we live now people phones are more important than the job they are supposed to be doing.

I agree he should have just turned it off but he put it in a drawer. To me that signifies that he wanted to listen. I just think that scene highlights how tricky it must be. You say the wrong thing and you try to probe and you scare them off, you don't say enough and it's seen as you being negligent and not caring.
    I do think he tried with Hannah, though.

anna080 wrote:

I thought that was ott aswell. Myself and my missus actually went ah come on now, when she was looking back waiting for him to come after her.

mewe wrote: »
    I thought that was ott aswell. Myself and my missus actually went ah come on now, when she was looking back waiting for him to come after her.

Same with Clay. Told him to basically piss off but then was on his case for not being able to read her mind.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote:
    Same with Clay. Told him to basically piss off but then was on his case for not being able to read her mind.

Yeah there was a lot of really stretching things in this series. Overall it didn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Divert to voicemail, put the mobile on mute. The phone distraction (because it was multiple) sent the signal to her that he was busy/had other priorities.

In the real world, there were some phrases someone like him could have used that may have led to a disclosure on her part. If not in the first appointment, maybe later on. Don't get me wrong, working with this age group is challenging and as a counsellor you can't really be suggestive. But, I came away questioning his training and skill set, it didn't seem like he was hearing her very well. Maybe this was Selena Gomez's experience, we don't know.

Divert to voicemail, put the mobile on mute. The phone distraction (because it was multiple) sent the signal to her that he was busy/had other priorities.

In the real world, there were some phrases someone like him could have used that may have led to a disclosure on her part. If not in the first appointment, maybe later on. Don't get me wrong, working with this age group is challenging and as a counsellor you can't really be suggestive. But, I came away questioning his training and skill set, it didn't seem like he was hearing her very well. Maybe this was Selena Gomez's experience, we don't know.

The fact that Hannah was recording him tells me that she had her own agenda and wanted to portray him in a certain light. She set him up to fail. Why record him for a tape otherwise? Any time he was close to cracking her she pulled away. She walked out the door saying "i need to just get over it, right?", when that's not at all what he meant. He can only do so much. She was very unwilling and wasn't ready to address his questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What if he had given his number to a different student who he knew to be a suicide risk. Turning it off when he's got clients who might need him at a moments notice would be negligent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

mewe wrote: »

She's portraying a teenage girl, I think a lot of this type of carry on is totally normal for a teenage girl. She may look quite a bit older but she's supposed to be 17.

Trailer here

EDIT- Better definition version here

I thought it was well set up for a second series with the young photographer guy having a load of guns especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Did you mean to link to something specific here brother?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Did you mean to link to something specific here brother?

Fixed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not pleased about no. 5. While I don't think the show is a "suicide revenge fantasy", I understand where people who claim that are coming from and I'd rather the show steer completely clear of such interpretations by having
    Bryce
    get away with it, thus eliminating the notion that anything positive results from Hannah's suicide. The first season at least leaves that question hanging.

From Netflix on Twitter

"there is a different sort of analog technology that plays a hugely important role in season 2"

Tony's vinyl collection?

I'm not pleased about no. 5. While I don't think the show is a "suicide revenge fantasy", I understand where people who claim that are coming from and I'd rather the show steer completely clear of such interpretations by having
    Bryce
    get away with it, thus eliminating the notion that anything positive results from Hannah's suicide. The first season at least leaves that question hanging.

Well i reckon
    Jessica was about to hang him out to dry to her father
    in ep13 so, he could get exactly what's coming, legally?

Spoiler tags purely for anyone that hasn't finished the show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched this over the last few days.

Very harrowing in parts.

The scene in the final episode really, really got to me, I was shocked at how graphic it was. While I can understand why it was shown, I felt it kind of cheapened the whole season as it was inserted purely as a shock tactic. Certainly the most shocking thing I've ever seen from a TV show and its right up there with anything I've ever seen in film.

I didn't like the ending and would have preferred it be left to our own imagination as to what happened next.

The two leads were superb I felt, particularly Clay.

I didn't like tony, very much a stereotype Latino, tough guy greaser.

Minor gripes really for what was a tremendously powerful piece of media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Rod Munch wrote: »
    The scene in the final episode really, really got to me, I was shocked at how graphic it was. While I can understand why it was shown, I felt it kind of cheapened the whole season as it was inserted purely as a shock tactic. Certainly the most shocking thing I've ever seen from a TV show and its right up there with anything I've ever seen in film.

D'ya know, it kind of bothered me that they chose to have her do it using the most "glamourised", tragic, shocking sort of method i.e. cutting wrists in the bath. (a) It would be an unusual choice for someone who doesn't have a history of cutting herself, and (b) It's a notoriously unreliable (unsuccessful?) way of killing yourself; most people don't do it right, or else are found before they bleed out enough. And the way she looked so perfect when her mother found her, almost as though she could still wake up ...

I think if they were going to go for such graphic shock tactics, it would have been better to go for something even grittier but more realistic, like showing the aftermath of someone using one of the other more common methods, something far less "pretty" and "dignified" (and, importantly, which impressionable teens are less likely to want to try to emulate!)

D'ya know, it kind of bothered me that they chose to have her do it using the most "glamourised", tragic, shocking sort of method i.e. cutting wrists in the bath. (a) It would be an unusual choice for someone who doesn't have a history of cutting herself, and (b) It's a notoriously unreliable (unsuccessful?) way of killing yourself; most people don't do it right, or else are found before they bleed out enough. And the way she looked so perfect when her mother found her, almost as though she could still wake up ...

I think if they were going to go for such graphic shock tactics, it would have been better to go for something even grittier but more realistic, like showing the aftermath of someone using one of the other more common methods, something far less "pretty" and "dignified" (and, importantly, which impressionable teens are less likely to want to try to emulate!)

I wasn't a fan of that either. I think the book was better in that regard (it's never actually confirmed she overdoses but it's heavily indicated by other characters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Watched this over the last few days.

Very harrowing in parts.

That scene was designed to be very difficult to watch, and it was. In the book she swallowed a fistful of pills. But TV is a visual medium, so they made a different decision. Correctly so, in my opinion.

The actor who played Clay did an excellent job, particularly in the middle of the season, when he seemed to be completely falling apart. The guy who played Alex was also superb. Kate Walsh was outstanding. I've only ever seen her in this and Fargo. She's just top class.

Great show overall. I'd have loved for the finale to have been a feature length episode. There was a lot left to do in the last ten minutes, and I wish it got done. There's going to be a second season, but there's a lot to be said for telling a story in one go.

The guy who played Alex was my favourite. I loved him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The guy who played Alex was my favourite. I loved him.

You should check out Parenthood if you've never watched it - he's a main character in that, and it's a really great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I've known this thread existed but didn't want to look at it until I'd seen all episodes. First off I know the scene where Hannah kills herself was graphic but I think it needed to be done that way. You can't sugarcoat anything to do with suicide if you really want to convey a message that once you actually cut your wrists, take an overdose, shoot yourself or hang yourself that it's all sweetness and light. It's not. It's far from that. I hugged my kids more over the past few days than I have in a while. It's the first thing I've watched in a long time that actually made me feel so bad for some and anger for others. I cried here and there. I've felt defeated myself because I know what it's like to be bullied and feel like you're not worth much to the only person that really matters which is myself. Whatever age you are don't let anyone get away with mistreating you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Finished this last week, and while i liked it i found myself disliking Hannah and Clay after a while.

Clay just whinged and brooded for most of the episodes and took forever to listen to the tapes, myself and the missus were just screaming at him to listen to them.

I liked the supporting cast tho, with the exception of Bryce. That guy is a dick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Won't let my 14 yr old, anywhere near it,half his class were disturbed last month,when a suicide awareness expert spoke to them ref depression, suicidal tendencies,teenage anxiety etc,so think parents need to be aware that a TV series like this could, potentially cause damage to a fragile teen

• Advertisement

Advertisement