Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This post has been deleted.

I would question how much this sort of thing helps . . I am not saying its worthless, I am saying its only skating around the issue and not teaching children much. .

A continued class/subject on respecting others (address bullying) and mental health awareness/exercise from day 1 of school would be more beneficial.

I have done talks in school, but they feel a bit preachy and part of the problem is wondering if the children who need to hear the message will be listening or have the tools to take the message in. . But we live in an ignorant , completely un-self aware society that is 99% about optics - give the appearance to care, do as little as possible but generally act in a way that does further damage to others . This is the world we live in and these sort of campaigns , while well meaning, are a sign of how pathetically low our commitment to supporting children or people struggling with depression or anxiety.

Children and people react to their surroundings based on what is normalised behaviour. That includes normalising bullying, slagging and building up "superior" people. You cant turn around once in a awhile and go "yeh, you see the way society is, well don't worry about that, there is help" . Then when the class is over, things go right back to the sh*tty way it was...

I thought 13 reasons why showed, really well, how two faced these kind of initiaves can be. Having the suicide prevention posters, children professing their sadness for the loss of a pupil they bullied and even after hearing from Hannah what they did their priority was protecting their own asses. Only a few of them learned anything from the experience. People might say "well that's kids in highschool", well they are the future adults of the world and their obnoxious bully behaviour doesn't just stop. People don't just "grow up" or mature, they get older and their life learning habits generally continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Vicxas wrote: »
    Finished this last week, and while i liked it i found myself disliking Hannah and Clay after a while.

Clay just whinged and brooded for most of the episodes and took forever to listen to the tapes, myself and the missus were just screaming at him to listen to them.

I liked the supporting cast tho, with the exception of Bryce. That guy is a dick :D

Courtney was pretty awful too! Not as bad as Bryce obviously but not too far away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Won't let my 14 yr old, anywhere near it
    Yeah good luck with that...

Vicxas wrote: »
    Finished this last week, and while i liked it i found myself disliking Hannah and Clay after a while.

Clay just whinged and brooded for most of the episodes and took forever to listen to the tapes, myself and the missus were just screaming at him to listen to them.

I liked the supporting cast tho, with the exception of Bryce. That guy is a dick :D

I can imagine some people found Clay and Hannah a bit whiny and over sensitive but I think its an important part of society that's often overlooked.. .

Generally, people do not really want to know "how do you feel?" when they ask you. . What they want to do is ask you that so they can talk about something else but feel good that they looked like they gave a sh*t how you really feel.

Clay and Hannah represent raw, honest people that don't fit into a world of people trying to project an unrealistic image of themselves. Hannah and Clay don't fit in and people find them annoying because these characters expose the weak character of others and shine a light on others deep down insecurities..

The lie/insecurity is exposed when Hannah and Clay talk , so people put them down and shame them to keep the focus off themselves.. Human shield as it was put . But since its considered a "normal" part of growing up or being an adult, its ignored and only addressed in mental health campaigns that can only scratch the surface of the underlying issue.

Clay , like Alex, actually cared about what happened to Hannah. They took responsibility for their role in her death, while the rest squirmed their way out of it. I found Clay a bit whiny aswell, but to be honest when I thought about it , it wasn't because he was wrong, it was because he was right. He was shining a light on how horrible and fickle a world we really live in when most of us just want to ignore it or not think about it and get on with our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Won't let my 14 yr old, anywhere near it,half his class were disturbed last month,when a suicide awareness expert spoke to them ref depression, suicidal tendencies,teenage anxiety etc,so think parents need to be aware that a TV series like this could, potentially cause damage to a fragile teen

Do you view your 14 year old as a fragile teen? I wouldn't let my 12 year old watch it because
    some of the scenes related to rape
    I personally feel aren't age appropriate for her but I would be willing to watch it with her in a couple of years because I think it could help to generate discussion between us - I think things like showing the distress of the parents throughout was well handled. It helps to show the devastating effect it has on those closest to you. Teen depression is a concern for me having seen the awful impact it can have on families so anything that encourages dialogue with my children on the issue is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I looked up some of the cast online. Many of the younger cast members hadn't been in much TV shows or films before this. I think they all portrayed their respective characters really well. They bounced off​ each other brilliantly. A show like this won't appeal to everyone that's for sure but in an age where bullying doesn't stop when you get home from school and that it will continue online for the rest of the day it made a point. A very important point at that. You can burn notes, delete text messages but what they do to you personally stays with you sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Drumpot wrote: »
    If a movie is well made and good enough to be considered for an award, why would it be a lessor movie just because it wasn't in the cinema?

It's Just snobbish, old fashioned bollox as far as I am concerned. You can justify anything if your head is far enough up your own ass.

WHAT???

pilly wrote: »
    WHAT???

Ha, thought I had deleted it properly!!!

That was meant for a different thread!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

On the topic of letting teens watch it, it's tricky.

This is obviously stuff that's going on with people their age. I work with children of that age and younger and they talk about similar in detial. I myself can remember similar stuff from my teens (not rape or suicide but lots of sex, bullying, drink and drugs from about 15 onwards). I'm sure the series has an 18 rating but I think it's also important to acknowledge that teens are getting up to stuff, regardless of whether adults consider that stuff too grown up for them.

I think by showing this series to teens, it could help open their eyes to problems they might no be aware of among their peers and might make them reconsider their behaviour. It is certainly a harsh depiction of life, even if it were adults, but I think its important to not ignore it or hide it under the carpet.

It's a harrowing series and not easy to watch at all but it was very important and effective in getting its message across. I don't think it glorified anything and having gone through a lot of depression and anxiety myself, there was plenty I could relate to and felt was accurately portrayed.

Aside from the obvious ones, Justin was one character who grew on me as the series went on. I think he finally copped on somewhat to where his lifestyle was leading him and running away isn't going to solve it but at least he had some kind of realisation. I think even Bryce is realising some stuff too but he's such a loathsome creep that its hard to sympathise.

I felt the series was good for one season. I don't know what to make of a second season. The idea doesn't appeal to me but I'll hold my judgement 'til I actually see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

I watched it with my youngest daughter (15) over a few weeks - never more than one episode per night. I think this was the best way to watch it, as we could spend some time discussing the issues raised in each episode and mull over them before moving on to the next. It was especially rough towards the end -
    the rape and suicide scenes were shockingly graphic
    but I think this was a good decision by the producers - it certainly led to a lot of candid discussion in our house.
    Solely as a drama, I though it was very well made - I was initially wary of a story based around an American High School, but by episode five (
    the school dance
    ) I was sold. Beautifully shot and edited with a cracking soundtrack. The actors, young and old, were brilliant throughout without exception, but the lady who played Hannah's Mum stood out for me.
    There were a couple of things I didn't get:
    1. Episode 11 (I think)
    Clay's tape. Was the moral of the story that Clay should have stayed with Hannah, even though she told him to leave her alone? Or was it that Clay did the right thing by leaving the room, and Hannah vindictively "punished" him by including him as one of the reasons?
    2. Who is
    Tony? Why was he entrusted with Hannah's tapes when he is rarely seen in the flashbacks and while he is in a lot of the present day scenes, more often than not it is alone with Clay.
    Previously in this thread, someone said they thought Tony might have been a figment of Clay's imagination, and I thought that for a while as well,
    until we found out who the second death was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

8mv wrote: »
    I watched it with my youngest daughter (15) over a few weeks - never more than one episode per night. I think this was the best way to watch it, as we could spend some time discussing the issues raised in each episode and mull over them before moving on to the next. It was especially rough towards the end -
    the rape and suicide scenes were shockingly graphic
    but I think this was a good decision by the producers - it certainly led to a lot of candid discussion in our house.
    Solely as a drama, I though it was very well made - I was initially wary of a story based around an American High School, but by episode five (
    the school dance
    ) I was sold. Beautifully shot and edited with a cracking soundtrack. The actors, young and old, were brilliant throughout without exception, but the lady who played Hannah's Mum stood out for me.
    There were a couple of things I didn't get:
    1. Episode 11 (I think)
    Clay's tape. Was the moral of the story that Clay should have stayed with Hannah, even though she told him to leave her alone? Or was it that Clay did the right thing by leaving the room, and Hannah vindictively "punished" him by including him as one of the reasons?
    2. Who is
    Tony? Why was he entrusted with Hannah's tapes when he is rarely seen in the flashbacks and while he is in a lot of the present day scenes, more often than not it is alone with Clay.
    Previously in this thread, someone said they thought Tony might have been a figment of Clay's imagination, and I thought that for a while as well,
    until we found out who the second death was.

Yeah I wondered about Tony myself, he seems like such a random mysterious character! Probably a last-minute addition, when they realised, oh shlt, how are we going to get the tapes to the people involved? Which is possibly why he wasn't included/mentioned in earlier scenes.

In relation to your first post about Hannah, yeah a lot of the "reasons why" were really small and seemingly insignificant/unjustified reasons. It reminds me of a diagnosis called CPTSD, she basically saw everything through the lens of trauma. I can't really remember the earlier episodes but was the first major thing being there for the other girl being raped? That'll mess you up quite a lot alright!

All the evidence presented to her in real life encounters was basically fuelling her paranoia, so while a normal teenage girl would take it as a "compliment" to receive comments etc about her nice arse, she took it as a violation. And when the rape scene happened, she was so resigned, it's almost like she was expecting it.

It kinda reminds me of a concept in Law called the Eggshell Skull rule, basically meaning that not knowing how vulnerable/sensitive/frail your "victim" is, is not a defence in cases where you harm them. Clay wasn't in the wrong in his "tape", but Hannah wasn't in the wrong either to blame him. If that makes any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

pilly wrote: »
    I thought it was well set up for a second series with the young photographer guy having a load of guns especially.

We're currently watching 13 Reasons and my wife was only saying he's exactly like one of the standard 'perps' you get in Law and Order Special Victims Unit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lord the actual suicide scene was powerful. Since we already knew she was dead I was glad she died the way she did and didn't have any regret after slashing her wrists and wasn't found on the floor trying to run and save herself, I know that sounds stupid but I always have this fear about people who commit suicide regretting it after fatally harming themselves
    I just want a series now where we see Clay and Hannah happy, if they did a "boring" 13 episode season of them just being a happy couple I'd love it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What a great, gripping show. Wasn't as strong in the middle as it was at the beginning and towards the end, but still very good. Dylan Minnette was the standout for me. What a terrific actor he is, and at just 20 years of age, his future is very bright indeed. Like (surprisingly few!) others on here, I too wondered at some points
    whether or not Tony was real, I also thought perhaps he was the second student who died. The suicide scene was extremely difficult to watch, I had to look away and am generally not very squeamish. It was heartbreaking watching her parents find her as well.
    I'm not entirely sure whether or not a second series will work and I think perhaps it should be left as it is, but I'll certainly give it a watch anyway. Overall very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

mewe wrote: »
    I found it slow aswell and having watched it all, don't think it was worth staying with it til the end.
    Stick with it. I thought it was great. Spooked me with the darkness, could have cried when Hannah cut herself.
    could have cried when Hannah cut herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

thesultan wrote: »
    Stick with it. I thought it was great. Spooked me with the darkness, could have cried when Hannah cut herself.
    could have cried when Hannah cut herself

Yeah that was a powerful scene.

There's an add on "beyond the reasons", worth a watch.

Overall I don't know what i thought of it, i just finished it and need some time to reflect on the series as a whole.

Overall I thought it was very, very good, but not sure I could watch it again because I know what's coming in the final episode. Will be interesting to see what the second series brings, but it feels like overkill.

Overall I thought it was very, very good, but not sure I could watch it again because I know what's coming in the final episode. Will be interesting to see what the second series brings, but it feels like overkill.

I watched it a second time and got more from it, especially the earlier episodes where I wasn't paying as much attention to back stories and foreshadowing. I admire how the writers, directors and producers managed to stitch all the threads together the way they did - I found it very clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

The actress who plays Hannah rumoured to be getting the batgirl part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Just finished 13 Reasons Why, really enjoyed it. The music was notably good throughout. Dylan Minnete and Katherine Langford are going places!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Sitec wrote: »
    Just finished 13 Reasons Why, really enjoyed it. The music was notably good throughout. Dylan Minnete and Katherine Langford are going places!

I really enjoyed the music too- it really added to the atmosphere. I got the album on iTunes and still listening to it months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I really enjoyed the music too- it really added to the atmosphere. I got the album on iTunes and still listening to it months later.

Some amount of winners on it!

This scene was pure magic. (No Spoilers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Yeah I wondered about Tony myself, he seems like such a random mysterious character! Probably a last-minute addition, when they realised, oh shlt, how are we going to get the tapes to the people involved? Which is possibly why he wasn't included/mentioned in earlier scenes.

In relation to your first post about Hannah, yeah a lot of the "reasons why" were really small and seemingly insignificant/unjustified reasons. It reminds me of a diagnosis called CPTSD, she basically saw everything through the lens of trauma. I can't really remember the earlier episodes but was the first major thing being there for the other girl being raped? That'll mess you up quite a lot alright!

All the evidence presented to her in real life encounters was basically fuelling her paranoia, so while a normal teenage girl would take it as a "compliment" to receive comments etc about her nice arse, she took it as a violation. And when the rape scene happened, she was so resigned, it's almost like she was expecting it.

It kinda reminds me of a concept in Law called the Eggshell Skull rule, basically meaning that not knowing how vulnerable/sensitive/frail your "victim" is, is not a defence in cases where you harm them. Clay wasn't in the wrong in his "tape", but Hannah wasn't in the wrong either to blame him. If that makes any sense!

I just posted on another forum about Tony as well! Why did he feature to heavily in the show?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I just posted on another forum about Tony as well! Why did he feature to heavily in the show?
    Having watched a second time, Tony's role makes more sense.
    I think it's a little confusing at first because, whether by accident or design, Tony seems to be portrayed as an enigmatic figure and you are expecting a big reveal at some stage - it turns out he's just a guy that Hannah trusted, and from a plot point of view, he is necessary to move the story along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Now that's a surprise..

https://www.facebook.com/NetflixUK/videos/1210661529036433/

Back 18th May for season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I heard it was gonna be April but I assumed it was delayed due to the school shootings. And I say that because of the scene with Tyler at the end. Though don't know if that will happen.

I only finished it recently so good timing for me.

Going by that trailer and what was said about season 2 it looks like
    Polaroid camera will be the plot device this time
    since producers said
    it would be another retro device

Wow, genuinely excited for this!
    The first series was excellent, if extremely difficult to watch towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Load up on pics and bring your friends...

Anyone know what time on Friday new releases usually premiere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

8AM our time, I believe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    8AM our time, I believe
    Yep. Ensures that we don't get it before the US West Coast.

Thanks guys. Will be able to settle into it Friday night after work :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I thought the first 2 episodes of Season 2 were laughably bad.

That's as much as I have watched so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Almost Famous

Episode 1 of the new season is terrible. Couldn't be bothered watching the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Third episode continues being utterly irrelevant, with meaningless and illogical storylines, bad acting and so, so many unintentionally funny moments.

I don't know what they expect to achieve by retconning half of season 1 either. They have made Hannah look like a complete tool with the way they have rewritten the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Have to agree, on episode two now and it's pretty dreadful. Don't think I'll be watching the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Also have to unfortunately agree. It's not good, at all. I wasn't totally against a season 2, but the way they've gone about developing the story is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It felt like they were just making up new details from when Hannah was alive as they were going on

Turned into a typical teen drama towards the end of season 2, not worth binging in 2 days before college exams thats for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I saw the trailer for the second series. It looks like instead of a suicide note on tapes someone is going to be sending threatening messages written on Polaroid photos. How hip and retro! I'm already excited about the third series which will be about a typewriter being used as a murder weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Only 5 episodes in but it’s amazing how Hannah has just completely lost any semblance of an American accent, completely unavoidable Australian twang.

Only two episodes in so far, and I don't think it's very good tbh. Have heard it gets better though so will stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Really bad.

Adding lots of new backstory for Hannah that doesn't make sense.
    So much stuff that people apparently didn't know/acknowledge in Season One despite being a part of it.

The Zack stuff in particular brings up so many issues.
    Had my concerns that a second season wasn't needed - fully vindicated in that belief.
    Every time something happens, it cheapens an aspect of Season one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

^^ Pretty much. I'm so disappointed that they'd willingly dump on the first season just because it's convenient and suits what appears to be an incredibly lazy agenda. Many would argue that the first season didn't need any follow-up - and I would have agreed with that - but a follow up could've been done a lot more gracefully with respect to it's own source material.

Instead we get what genuinely comes across as a teenagers follow-up fan-fiction brought to the big screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I was looking at reviews a few days ago, didn't see any positive ones. Watched 2.01 on Friday - muck. Hannah's mother said in court 'Hannah's story needs to be told', eh we had that last season. Can't blame the actors. I'm holding off any watching any more now to see whether it gets a fast renewal (hoping my tiny Netflix data point won't count - yeah right), which it probably will if the youth audience devours it. Wonder they actually think of it, any younger critical writers out there? A pity Netflix couldn't just go off and make something else with another young cast and story. Keep it up and we'll have 13 Reasons: The Soap Opera Years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 1 was shocking non preachy and had no real agenda attached to it other than to tell the story of a tragedy and how it happened and who it affected and why it affected them.

A couple of minutes into the first episode of season 2 they undid everything that was good about season 1!

It became a agenda driven preachy show that by the end didn't have the balls to follow through with the storyline they were leading to all season/
    A Mass shooting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Thought it was poor enough despite a strong cast. Why did they bring Katherine Langford back as a ghost? It really was painful at times to watch her riddle me this act everytime Clay unfolded yet another shocking aspect of the "untold story."

There's not really all that much to tell in a 3rd season other than giving Clay a happy ending (how many times did they mention him needing to get laid.....sheesh) and having a few melodramatic teen soap angles.......and none of that sounds enticing.

Dylan Minnette was impressive again as Clay as playing that kind of bland white knight character these days doesn't get much love. He's excellent in the role. Christian Navarro as Tony was misused....in fact his whole storyline was terrible. Bummer after him being a highlight last year. Surprise of the season goes to Devin Druid as Tyler, thought he was great.

Brandon Flynn, Ross Butler, Miles Heiser and Justin Prentice were great again also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Finished watching all episodes, I think my thoughts are pretty much summed up by the previous posts, overall a bit disappointing. I felt they sh@t all over some characters with their back stories, especially Hannah's just to extend a story that was already done and dusted. The series does redeem itself a little towards the end, but to be honest that is the direction they should have gone with the whole second season.

Tyler's acting was probably the highlight of the season for me. Not sure what was up with Alex's character, I know the character was meant to have had a brain injury but was it intentional bad acting or what? Anyway I guess they will milk a third season out of this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement