Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 Reasons Why (Netflix)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

THAT scene in the final episode (you know what I mean if you’ve seen it) really was completely unnecessary and an overly crude way of building up to an unnecessary finale designed solely to leave the series on a cliffhanger for a cash cow milking third series.

So much melodramatic rubbish throughout the series and the whole concept of the show continues to glorify suicide. Honestly, the whole concept of the trial (trying to prove the school liable) was completely unrealistic given that the guidance counselor had followed protocol as Hannah didn’t give him proper outright information there was nothing more he could do, I mean the questions he had asked in series 1 were as good as implying that he knew she’d been raped all she had to do was fill in the necessary gap for him. That would have never gone too court in real life.

The Zach and Hannah story completely shät all over the image of Hannah built up in series 1. It had strongly been implied that by raping her, Bryce had also taken her virginity but now we learn that she’d been like a rabbit with Zach a few months before that. It took some of the gravity away from that atrocity by Bryce as one of the reasons it felt so awful watching that scene was it seemed like her virginity was also being cruelly robbed from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yeah the ridiculous thing about that scene is that it's never really suggested that Monty is anything more than a prick. To become a sadistic **** like that was quite a jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Katherine Langford
    won't be returning if it's renewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Katherine Langford
    won't be returning if it's renewed.

That's good news. Story was told and there's room for some decent potential storylines that will be able to breath now. Still....massive improvements required in the writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

Ending was very disappointing I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

shauna17 wrote: »
    Ending was very disappointing I think

Overall it was an okay watch, I kept pressing playing next, but the final episode did leave a lot to be desired

If it ended with the group hug scene I'd have been happy with the season but the end is crap, a cop out and a cry for another season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This meandered along and I remember thinking if they cut about 3 - 4 episodes out, it may have been a bit tighter.

Thought the cast were all pretty solid - Minette (Clay), Heizer (Alex) and Druid (Tyler) were decent throughout.

But the fact they changed Hannah's character so drastically tainted the whole thing for me..

There was a handful of decent moments in there but completely unnecessary episodes detailing
    Hannah and Zach's summer romance
    were terrible.

The
    broom handle rape
    was pretty damn vile, and almost thrown in the closing episode as a plot device leading to another season was silly.

I'll probably watch another season of it as I do enjoy the cast and their chemistry, but an 8 or 10 episode season would be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The clay actor is basically holding this show together imo he’s a great actor hope he goes onto bigger things.

But yeah season2 felt really long drawn out probley would have been better to shorten it to 6eps the adding on of stories for Hannah felt really out of place with season 1s story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

I thought season 2 surpassed the excellent season 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Basq wrote: »

But the fact they changed Hannah's character so drastically tainted the whole thing for me..

I've never seen someone miss the point so much. Its not meant to be her. Its her through all the other characters eyes which is why she's so different depending on whose story it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I gave up after 5 episodes. I loved season 1 but I've better things to do with my time that to watch the remainder of season 2.

As soon as Clay started having conversations with Hannah's "Ghost" all credibility was lost for me. Really poor compared to a compelling first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I gave up after 5 episodes. I loved season 1 but I've better things to do with my time that to watch the remainder of season 2.

As soon as Clay started having conversations with Hannah's "Ghost" all credibility was lost for me. Really poor compared to a compelling first season.

I didn't read it as Hannah's ghost at all- it was, for me, very clearly a manifestation of Clay's anger, resentment, fear and pain, basically talking to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Mr E wrote: »

Wrong decision... but I'll watch it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I thought we were going to have a school shooter situation for season 3 and that the end of 2 was the build up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

I thought we were going to have a school shooter situation for season 3 and that the end of 2 was the build up

Exactly what I though aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Finished it tonight.

Everything good about season 1 was completely undone by season 2.

It had more fcuking melodramatic cliches and tropes per episode than the likes of Dawson's Creek managed in its entire run.

The "scene" in the final episode was as contrived as anything I have ever seen and was not at all necessary, shock value for the sake of it.

Awful, awful tripe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Doesn't seem to be much buzz around the second season. Wonder if the viewership fell off (guess not as it's been renewed), or if it's more of a quality = meh issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The first season was a bit of lightning in a bottle, the whole premise of the was the 13 reasons why and really that should have been the show

It turned into just a typical teen drama although trying to broach every sensitive issue in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Just watching this now it's super lame guys,
    don't go there! Don't go there will be back after this short commercial break.

• Advertisement

Netflix have removed Hannah's suicide scene from the first series. Not sure how I feel about it tbh, yes it was a brutal watch, but I feel like it needed to be. Without it I feel it gives credence to those who said the show glamorised suicide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Netflix has renewed for a 4th (final) season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I haven't watched season 2 yet but I see there's a trailer for season 3 out.
    I did see a headline saying it reveals a major character death.

Will watch season 2 soon, I think, now that I'm reminded

The entire premise of series 3 is based on the murder of Bryce Walker, so I don't think anyone can complain about spoilers. An interesting direction to take it in, but it does feel like the show has jumped the shark somewhat. I'll watch it anyway, hope it's better than the tripe that was series 2.

The entire premise of series 3 is based on the murder of Bryce Walker, so I don't think anyone can complain about spoilers. An interesting direction to take it in, but it does feel like the show has jumped the shark somewhat. I'll watch it anyway, hope it's better than the tripe that was series 2.

I'm 6 episodes in, so far so good, mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

4 episodes in and enjoying it so far I've no idea who killed him.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Why add and English accent person. Ruins it for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This season is dire. Who is this girl, why does she have access to everyone and knows everyone's secrets.

This season shouldn't have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

cena wrote: »

Me too, to the point that I'm still stopping and starting on the first episode, and failing to engage.

If she continues to narrate, I'm out for definite.
    Which is a pity, as I preferred the last season to the first.

She's providing the narrative. It's an interesting take and there is a solid enough reason for it.

Episode 10 now and i still have no clue whodunnit

• Advertisement

I've only watched an episode and a half so far but I actually really like Ana, very surprised at the extent she's disliked.

I've only watched an episode and a half so far but I actually really like Ana, very surprised at the extent she's disliked.

If it was an American accent it would be all good.

If it was an American accent it would be all good.

Because only American kids go to school in America? I mean, it's all pretty much explained in so far as why she's there. She's a good character, and it's working very well as the narrator, as it were.

And we're done. That was streets ahead of season 2. Although, if they had left out two little things from the final episode, they could have easily wrapped it up there and not had a season 4. Still, it's, at least to me, obvious where the story is going in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The new character who is narrating this series is really irritating and the approach taken on this series is getting under my skin. The new character is an over-eager investigative instigator who involves people in situations that she then shies away from. What I get from this is, like all recent Netflix series. White straight male = Bad, Femail = Victim. A lot of subliminal racial/political statements and digs aimed at the "white man" here that if it was the opposite way around, there would be uproar.

Really two seasons was enough. Why play Bryce as a victim when he was a rapist.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The Tyler scene in episode 8 was outstanding acting

I’m enjoying this season a lot more than I enjoyed season 2.

Posted on the thread a couple of days ago but the posts seem to have disappeared. Anyway, I'm enjoying this season, it's far and away above the steaming pile of sh*te that was the second season. I'm now eight episodes in, that scene
    between Clay and Tyler was extremely powerful, some *serious* acting from Devin Druid

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Aneedoo

For me because it gives you the suitable translation for the movies and tv shows for each country so its good and also gives you the best movies and shows then other tv websites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Aneedoo

Gonna watch it for sure lot shows I missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

season 3 is convoluted... maybe I'm not interested enough but it's tortured.

So I've finally watched the finale and overall I thought it was a great season, but I'm conflicted.
    I ended up feeling sorry for Monty, in spite of what he's done. Sorry, but I did. If Bryce gets to have a redemption arc then why not Monty? Killing him off like that felt unnecessary, there was so much more potential for him I thought. And to die in prison in that maner, and to be framed for a murder he had nothing to do with just didn't sit right with me.

I saw comments online that the final episode was basically just another take on How to Get Away With Murder, which I'd agree with. Are we supposed to be rooting for Alex and the gang covering up a murder, and Zach for committing a violent assault and leaving someone for dead? Dunno, it all left me a little uneasy.

My big takeaway from this season though would be Devin Druid, I think he was the real breakout star of the series. Great, great acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Just watched the first episode of season three and I'm not impressed at all.

The first season was great. The second season was good but they didn't push it as far as they could have (
    dealing with a school shooting would have been ground-breaking and extremely interesting given how well they did the original story
    ) while doing some needless stuff (
    Tyler and the broom
    ).

Just one episode and they seem to be trying the How to Get Away with Murder (which I let slide for that show because HTGAWM doesn't take itself as seriously) format of working back from the end. There were a few times in the episode where I wasn't sure if it was in the present or back at the end of the second season. To be doing that in the very first episode is a bad start. I can't say I'm a big fan of the new student and the main group of characters seem a bit off, almost like they're trying too hard. Also, no mention of
    Bryce's girlfriend being pregnant.
    which was an interesting plot to run with from the last season.

I'll give it another go but it's not been a good start.

Just watched the first episode of season three and I'm not impressed at all.

The first season was great. The second season was good but they didn't push it as far as they could have (
    dealing with a school shooting would have been ground-breaking and extremely interesting given how well they did the original story
    ) while doing some needless stuff (
    Tyler and the broom
    ).

Just one episode and they seem to be trying the How to Get Away with Murder (which I let slide for that show because HTGAWM doesn't take itself as seriously) format of working back from the end. There were a few times in the episode where I wasn't sure if it was in the present or back at the end of the second season. To be doing that in the very first episode is a bad start. I can't say I'm a big fan of the new student and the main group of characters seem a bit off, almost like they're trying too hard. Also, no mention of
    Bryce's girlfriend being pregnant.
    which was an interesting plot to run with from the last season.

I'll give it another go but it's not been a good start.

The flipping backwards and forwards confused me initally but I adjusted after a couple of episodes. The past is in rich/bright colours, the present is dark/grey.
    Chloe's pregnancy
    is addressed, keep watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

It was pretty good overall - the final episode was a bit disappointing and, as somebody posted above, left me somewhat conflicted. Agree with posters who pointed out Devin Druid's performance as a highlight, notably that scene in ep 8. Exceptional turn from the guy who plays Bryce also. For those confused about the time jumps, you'll notice a change in the aspect ratio when it happens - the past is full screen and the present has a black border top and bottom of the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

So I've finally watched the finale and overall I thought it was a great season, but I'm conflicted.
    I ended up feeling sorry for Monty, in spite of what he's done. Sorry, but I did. If Bryce gets to have a redemption arc then why not Monty? Killing him off like that felt unnecessary, there was so much more potential for him I thought. And to die in prison in that maner, and to be framed for a murder he had nothing to do with just didn't sit right with me.

I saw comments online that the final episode was basically just another take on How to Get Away With Murder, which I'd agree with. Are we supposed to be rooting for Alex and the gang covering up a murder, and Zach for committing a violent assault and leaving someone for dead? Dunno, it all left me a little uneasy.

My big takeaway from this season though would be Devin Druid, I think he was the real breakout star of the series. Great, great acting.
    Devin was fantastic in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

I watched season 1 and boy howdy was it an insulting portrayal of suicide imo. Just all seemed very shallow character wise. Plus that male lead is insufferable too, he was just as bad in Goosebumps.

PostWoke wrote: »
    I watched season 1 and boy howdy was it an insulting portrayal of suicide imo. Just all seemed very shallow character wise. Plus that male lead is insufferable too, he was just as bad in Goosebumps.

Did you watch season 1 recently? Cause what's left on Netflix is a heavily edited version of what was up before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Final season starts June 5th

Final season starts June 5th

Oh wow, thought we weren't going to see that until next year. Weird trailer too, giving nothing away beyond that it's the final series, but I imagine we'll be given more as the date approaches. The show had largely jumped the shark by the end of series 3, so here's hoping for a decent last one. Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement