Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 45 minute intruder!!

Options
  • 24-03-2017 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Apparently (according to Dr Google anyway) babies often wake after 45 minutes due to the length of the sleep cycle and can't get themselves back to sleep. I have been struggling with this and it takes a lot of work to get baby back to sleep. She wakes around 40/45 minutes after going for her nap. The first nap isn't too bad but her later nap is - she wakes giving out, upset, rubbing her eyes etc, still obviously very tired. If I get her up she's not in good form.

Anyone managed to over come this? I have tried rocking her crib, holding her hand, shushing her, picking her up. The only thing that works is taking her out and breastfeeding, and even at that it's a good half hour at least before she'll drift off again. Also I'm thinking of starting trying to avoid Bf as a way to sleep because i am now the only person who can get her down. She used half wake and I could rock her back to sleep and she'd be down for 2 hours. Now it's another 45 minutes max and she can start to get tired after 30-60 minutes awake and is in poor form. So I spend most afternoons lying in bed with her trying to keep her asleep.

Anyone managed to teach baby to overcome this by themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What age is baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Also struggling! Baby is 14 weeks & breastfed. Had horrendous two days where he woke all day & night every 45mins and be impossible to settle & sleep is still all over the place. Been trying a 90 min awake 90 min asleep EASY routine for the last three days with mixed success but nightime is still a disaster. He's waking to feed 4 times which could mean growth spurt but is slowly killing me...

Any tips/advice gratefully recieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

God Tired city I feel bad for moaning now!!! Mine is sleeping great at night at least. Had a bad week myself at 14 weeks but apart from the naps it's resolved. Mine is nearly 16 weeks and breast fed. Went down for 45 mins at 7.45am this morning and that's it. Eyes hanging out of her head 4 hours later and won't sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

As they get older the sleep cycle gets a bit longer. My fella used to wake every 30 minutes. Sometimes of I was quickenough I could get him back down for another cycle. But usually not. Until 4 months old he'd go down every 90 minutes for 30 minutes. He's 8 months now and will nap 3 times a day for anywhere between 45 and 2 hrs. Honestly babies are generally bloody cranky in the afternoon anyway! My guy whinges from about 3pm onwards. Haven't found anything to fix it other than plenty of food and not letting him get over tired.
    I make sure he's not too hot or cold, snuffle balm keeps his breathing ok and white noise drowns out any loud noise. Development leaps can also mess with sleep patterns.
    Your best bet after she wakes cranky is to go for a walk or to the shops if it's rainy. More visually entertaining than the house for you and them!

I just fed mine and put her down - no joy!! Now she's lying in the bed beside me talking to herself. Since 8.30 this morning she slept for 20 mins in her car seat. I tried to get her down for an hour and a half today, no joy and then we went out (hence the car seat nap). She looked shattered a while ago but no joy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sure you never know what they'll be getting up to after dark once they're up on their back legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I just fed mine and put her down - no joy!! Now she's lying in the bed beside me talking to herself. Since 8.30 this morning she slept for 20 mins in her car seat. I tried to get her down for an hour and a half today, no joy and then we went out (hence the car seat nap). She looked shattered a while ago but no joy!!

If the car works the buggy might be worth a shot?
    I just rock mine to sleep in his buggy every time. Usually takes five minutes.
    I find the key with naps is to catch them at the first sign of tiredness. First or second yawn and down he goes. At four months that was 90mins from when he woke up.

But like all things baby what works for me probably won't work for you.

If the car works the buggy might be worth a shot?
    I just rock mine to sleep in his buggy every time. Usually takes five minutes.
    I find the key with naps is to catch them at the first sign of tiredness. First or second yawn and down he goes. At four months that was 90mins from when he woke up.

But like all things baby what works for me probably won't work for you.

She hates her pram. I could go walking for hours and she won't nap. She won't nap in it anymore at home (she used to) but she's a big girl and it's an icandy which seem to havendaurly small bassinets. The car seat napping only started this week. I've tried staying at home all day and bring her up at the first yawn, at 90 minutes etc. And then I get frustrated because I'm up there for an hour to two hours trying to make her nap- today after 1.5 hours I just quit and brought her downstairs because we were going out. She was in great form today for the most part despite the lack of naps so that's good.

She's sleeping well at night so I suppose I can't win them all!! The only issues I've had with her all along I suppose is napping. Even when I thought I had nailed it it only lasts a few days and there's a new nap problem!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Honestly?no there's nothing you can do!Both mine were forty minute nappers.Baby no.1 did it til six months, when she suddenly (the day she turned six months!) Slept an hour and a bit one morning and the same in the afternoon and we never looked back.Baby no. 2 did it for about 9 months, until we dropped the evening nap (because she was able to get through the evening to bedtime ok) amd then her morning and afternoon naps started stretching.

Neither child stretched their naps and believe me i tried everything.Neither really went in for car sleeping and buggy sleeping either.No.1 showed no signs of tiredness in the day until she was way too overtired and too wired for sleep.

So with number one at about 13 weeks I did some desperate research and discovered they really need to be going for a nap about two hours from when they last woke up.She gave no indicators of tiredness so I had no clue!So I implemented that.Stayed at home every morning for a week or so (to get the routine) amd two hours after she woke up in the morning, i put her up in her cot for a nap.I did try with no. 1, rocking and singing and all that good stuff....but at 16 weeks I realised she was getting big to hold her to rock, it was taking longer and longer to get her to sleep, so I was best off just doing a little read of a book, closing the curtains and putting her in her cot.Initially I sat in the room til she dropped off, after a couple of weeks, I hung around outside the room.And basically did that for the rest of the day.For the second nap I'd try to be in the car or out with buggy (you have to get out!) Amd then the third nap was hardest in the late afternoon.....took long to fall asleep (tired after the day) and only ever slept maybe 30mins.Both kids were the same, only no.2 was easier...I had learned on no.1 so I just got no.2 into a napping habit way earlier!Nothing I could do about the forty minute thing except structure my day around it as best I could.They do grow out of it and you do get used to it but it is an absolute pain in the #$%!!

Oh yes and....the harder you try to get them to nap, the greater the chance they won't go!They pick up on everything!You need to take some really deep breaths, and just let it all go and relax, really.It's so tough, but they sense your....stress, for want of a better word.You need to be really relaxed and almost uncaring (about them napping) and your chances will be better :-) I've been there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Beanybabog wrote: »
    She hates her pram. I could go walking for hours and she won't nap. She won't nap in it anymore at home (she used to) but she's a big girl and it's an icandy which seem to havendaurly small bassinets. The car seat napping only started this week. I've tried staying at home all day and bring her up at the first yawn, at 90 minutes etc. And then I get frustrated because I'm up there for an hour to two hours trying to make her nap- today after 1.5 hours I just quit and brought her downstairs because we were going out. She was in great form today for the most part despite the lack of naps so that's good.

She's sleeping well at night so I suppose I can't win them all!! The only issues I've had with her all along I suppose is napping. Even when I thought I had nailed it it only lasts a few days and there's a new nap problem!!

I can't get any nap routine with my two, apart from if I bring them for a walk they will always nap in the buggy when they get home.

They will sometimes fall asleep in the mornings while they are playing on the playmat but won't do any structured nap.

They both sleep through the night every night though and have from about 14 weeks so to be honest I don't want to mess too much with it in case it stops them sleeping at night!

Possibly I will regret in the future not imposing more of a nap routine now, but there is only so much we can do.

Any mothers have babas that never did a routine napping thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Trying to remember what we did (sleep consultant advised), from what I remember anything after 6am is wake up time so out of bed and downstairs for breakfast/ boob/ bottle etc. Back to bed within 90-120 minutes. Before the first yawn. I was dubious of this but actually worked. And putting baby into cot awake so they put themselves to sleep. All very gentle etc rub belly to help settle and reduce intervention as time goes by but no crying it out.

It was so hard to not bf the back to sleep in the morning at 6am but it really did work for us

Having a schedule really helped here but baby was a little older when we got the sleep consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Our lad had to go down incredibly fast for his first morning nap or naps would be rubbish. I'm talking like 50-60 minutes max. The first indication at all of sleepiness. He continued to need a very early nap until nearly 18 months

Well after three very short naps today (20 mins) she was very cranky and went down again after a feed.. and I had to wake her after 2.5 hours so it's not too close to bed. I give up, she's calling the shots here!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Mine sleeps for between 15 and 30 mins 3 times a day, unless we are in sling/car/buggy where she will sleep a little longer. And she wakes every 90 mins or so at night! I'm just gonna roll with it. It's not for forever. Hopefully! She's just over 5 months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes Mirrorwall, I found my first would never go the full two hours in the morning, that was the one she used to get tiredest for quickest.
    Two hours was just my guideline anyway, if it went too much beyond that, I knew it was time to put them up to bed or chaos would ensue.
    After a certain point....like 18 months or so....the naps become as much for you as for them.!!!! It's awful but my 2.5 yr old still sleeps in the day and I need that break as much as she does!!!

Beanybabog how old is your baba?If she's still less than 12 weeks then I wouldn't bother too much with trying to push a routine in the day...you'll end up tearing your hair out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It's impossible for me to implement any sort of routine with two only follow their lead. Napping is seemingly unpredictable before15 weeks anyway. They generally sleep well at night. Except for reflux pains at times with twin 2. But good night sleeping is the main thing for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

shesty wrote: »
    Yes Mirrorwall, I found my first would never go the full two hours in the morning, that was the one she used to get tiredest for quickest.
    Two hours was just my guideline anyway, if it went too much beyond that, I knew it was time to put them up to bed or chaos would ensue.
    After a certain point....like 18 months or so....the naps become as much for you as for them.!!!! It's awful but my 2.5 yr old still sleeps in the day and I need that break as much as she does!!!

Beanybabog how old is your baba?If she's still less than 12 weeks then I wouldn't bother too much with trying to push a routine in the day...you'll end up tearing your hair out :-)

It was such a pain in the neck because he slept through all the toddler classes, swim classes etc. We were never ready to go back out again until 1130 or so after he woke, fed, changed etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Mine sleeps for between 15 and 30 mins 3 times a day, unless we are in sling/car/buggy where she will sleep a little longer. And she wakes every 90 mins or so at night! I'm just gonna roll with it. It's not for forever. Hopefully! She's just over 5 months.

Oh lucyfur, congratulations. I know you from ttc but didnt realise you had a baby. That's such grear news

Shesty she's 16 weeks so I think I can start to implement a routine? She just moans when she's in the crib, no matter how tired she is. Nightime is not a problem. I don't want to let her CIO although sometimes it's not crying, just general giving out and she smiles when I look in, so she's not distressed!! Knows well what she's doing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh lucyfur, congratulations. I know you from ttc but didnt realise you had a baby. That's such grear news

Thank you <3 She's amazing :D

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, you definitely can! For what it's worth (and feel free to disregard!), just do her naps every couple of hours.I don't cry it out but I did spend a lot of minutes (and probably hours!) Sitting by the cot, holding a hand or shhhing.It's all you can do.I wouldn't waste too much time trying to get her back to sleep after forty mins, that will resolve itself over time.Just aim to get her into fairly regular naps, but you do have to sit with them and sort of support them. We use a soother here, don't know if that would be your choice.She will cry and whine a bit, that's to be expected. Also I'd try and do one nap at least at home everyday and just try to have her in the buggy or pram or car or whatever for one of the others because you have to get out! :-)

Well the good news is that I put her down this morning after 1.5 hours awake and she got herself to sleep happily enough, she woke at 45 minutes and drifted back off without giving out once!! Fingers crossed we are making progress

I have to say. Getting two babies to nap is freaking difficult. I envy you mums of single babies at times. Currently have one feeding in my arms and rocking the other with my foot. Yesterday was a hell of a day. They were so cranky by five o clock!

I struggled with my pair under two years old to get it to work.Twins would finish me.
    Or alternatively, having survived the first couple of months of the 21 month age gap, I'd be able for anything.
    I would not be willing to find out though.

They fell asleep feeding at twelve and I transferred to cribs. One sleep 45 minutes and joined me while I had lunch. The other slept 90 minutes then I fed both and they are back asleep on feeding cushion. I'm afraid to move them but I have a stew on which needs turning off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

fits wrote: »
    They fell asleep feeding at twelve and I transferred to cribs. One sleep 45 minutes and joined me while I had lunch. The other slept 90 minutes then I fed both and they are back asleep on feeding cushion. I'm afraid to move them but I have a stew on which needs turning off :(

Congrats on even getting the stew on. Commiserations on it burning!!

Congrats on even getting the stew on. Commiserations on it burning!!

I saved it :D. This is actually the first time I've managed to prepare dinner. Go me! The secret is to make it in the morning. Now I know why Irish mammies make dinner at lunchtime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I saved it :D. This is actually the first time I've managed to prepare dinner. Go me! The secret is to make it in the morning. Now I know why Irish mammies make dinner at lunchtime :D

Yep it takes me hours to make dinner as I've to make it in multiple short intervals whenever I get a chance! However today we discovered the amazingness of the baby gym... my cranky clingy post-vaccine baby, who cried any time I left his line of sight today, lay and played happily in the baby gym for a whole 40 mins while I rushed around the kitchen making a lasagne. Success!

I remember those days, it's awful. Now I have more time I can cook dinner but she always wants a feed just as I'm about to sit down to eat!! If it makes you feel any y better my 16 week old usually goes to be at 7pm and sleeps for8.5 hours, which means I now can have a glass of wine and cook a steak dinner in peace. There's light at the end of tunnel!!!

• Advertisement

Oh there is!One year on, we all eat dinner together (bit of a rush to prepare after work!) And they both head for the bed round 7pm.
    Leaving myself and OH lots of time to ourselves to....clean up the kitchen after said dinner and restore the living room to an adult state.
    But at least they're asleep (well...in bed anyway)!

Advertisement