Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassette gaps

Options
  • 24-03-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering changing out my cassette to get a bit of a bail-out gear due to my lack of excellence at climbing:eek:. I tried to order some HTFU online but it seems they're out of stock for the moment !:D
    Currently using 11-28 (10 speed) and looking at either 12-30 or 11-32, can't decide to be honest. I'm generally ok(ish) with the 28, but for some steep ramps, eg that stretch before Timbertrove on Stocking Lane, its a big struggle. Just wondering if anyone is using 11-32 and how they find the 2 tooth gaps in the middle range of the block ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've never had a 32 so I can't answer your question but just be aware that you may also need to change the cage and chain if you go from a 28 to a 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Russman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering changing out my cassette to get a bit of a bail-out gear due to my lack of excellence at climbing:eek:. I tried to order some HTFU online but it seems they're out of stock for the moment !:D
    Currently using 11-28 (10 speed) and looking at either 12-30 or 11-32, can't decide to be honest. I'm generally ok(ish) with the 28, but for some steep ramps, eg that stretch before Timbertrove on Stocking Lane, its a big struggle. Just wondering if anyone is using 11-32 and how they find the 2 tooth gaps in the middle range of the block ?

Thanks !

What are you using on the front?

You may need to replace your rear mech for a long cage and chain if you go for the 32 option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Im a 'spinner' on climbs, and as a result i have a triple (dont laugh) chainring , you could climb a wall....

When i got my N+1 bike, i got a Compact with a 34-52 on the front, and a 28 on the back, i was worried i wouldnt have enough gears for the climbs, but it works fine.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

greenspurs wrote: »
    Im a 'spinner' on climbs, and as a result i have a triple (dont laugh) chainring , you could climb a wall....

When i got my N+1 bike, i got a Compact with a 34-52 on the front, and a 28 on the back, i was worried i wouldnt have enough gears for the climbs, but it works fine.

You sure you don't mean 34-50 on the front? Most front mechs aren't rated for any more than a 16T gap on the chainset, and while 36-52 is increasingly common I've never heard of 34-52.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What are you using on the front?

You may need to replace your rear mech for a long cage and chain if you go for the 32 option

It's a compact 50/34 on the front. Plus it's only a short cage rear mech so maybe a 30 is as much as i can do without replacing a number of parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Russman wrote: »
    It's a compact 50/34 on the front. Plus it's only a short cage rear mech so maybe a 30 is as much as i can do without replacing a number of parts.

You'll be grand for almost everything over here with a 34-30. If you spend a little more time in the hills it will get easier and try not burn yourself out at the start of a climb. Start like an auld fella finish like a young fella. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

I a typical MAMIL, and I use a compact (50/34).  I originally had a 28 on the back, and I fitted a 32 for a trip to Mallorca. The 28 will do for most, if not all, hills I do here.  I just wanted the 32 for those very long hills, and I did use it, but I still think I could have gotten by with the 28.  To answer your specific question, I haven't noticed any additional gaps with the 32.  By the way, I did have to change my rear mechanism to allow using it with the 32.

Advertisement