Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yosemite

Options
  • 24-03-2017 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Anyone ever visited Yosemite National Park? Any good? Advice on what to do there etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I did it a few years ago, it was beautiful. Loved it. We drove from San Fran, and parked up, did a little walk after that. The following morning we took an organised tour around the park, left the next day. Ideally, I'd do one other day, after the organised tour. There was loads to see, and having done the tour the day before, you'd know what you'd like to see again at your own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Somewhere I definitely want to visit again. I was there in July 8 years ago. Drove from Vegas, through Death Valley, up past Mono Lake and drove in via Tioga Pass from memory. Absolutely fantastic. I spent 3 days there in a Hotel in the Valley. I had a car so also visited places off my own bat, Glacier Point (Stunning, don't miss it), Mariposa Grove (Giant Red Woods, I personally loved it), the big famous Waterfall (almost dry in July but a must see none the less), I also hiked out to three smaller Waterfalls, you can see them from Glacier Point. There's a train that runs around the valley also and brings you to some stunning locations. I also was lucky enough to see a Bear in the Wild mucking around in a meadow (kept my distance obviously).
    I can honestly say that Yosemite is a must if you can, and definitely try do at least what I've mentioned above!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

100% a spectacular place to visit.

We flew from LA to Fresno and drove from there. Magnificent place. We stayed 3 nights and would stay longer.

Word of warning though, it is price gouging at it's finest for accommodation. We stayed in Curry Village (think it is called "Half Dome Village" now). It was quite expensive and the accommodation was "rustic". Food was utterly terrible, i mean awful! We went to the Ahwahnee Hotel (actually now renamed "Majestic Yosemite Hotel"), for food when we could. The only decent food in Curry Village was the pizza shack for takeaway pizza.

Apart from all that is was definitely a trip to remember till the day i die. Fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The best spots get booked up well in advance, so look to plan something like a year ahead.

Also check out the National Park Annual Pass which can be great value...
    https://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html
    http://www.ontheluce.com/2013/06/06/does-a-us-national-parks-pass-save-you-money/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Yosemite is a fantastic visit. We had two days so we hiked up the 5 mile trail, and went to Mariposa Grove.

The prices are expensive and the food is average/ poor. In fairness, the park authorities are open about the fact that the very high costs of running the park have to come from somewhere and they make a profit on accommodation to help cover this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

andreoilin wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Anyone ever visited Yosemite National Park? Any good? Advice on what to do there etc?

yup - drove from San Fran. It's amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Planning a honeymoon, American road trip style, and was wondering if it was worth working into the route :) Seems like a good place to include!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I did a national park tour in June 2016. Visited Yosemite as part of it. Stayed in Yosemite view Lodge which is in El Portal, nearest place to the park (about 45 mins) without being inside. Accommodation in Yosemite is very expensive. Yosemite lodge is very much like a motel. It's very road trip style. I found food in the states way below way below what we have here, and way more expensive in general.

I did the mist trail hike in Yosemite it was fantastic!

We saw a bear in the park!

By the way I loved Zion national park and Angels landing hike. Zion was probably my favourite out if then all.

If you are doing the Grand Canyon, do the helicopter ride, its expensive but worth every penny.

I'm a hotel snob in general, and I was shocked at the prices of hotels, vs. The standards of what we have here.

Any other questions, just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi everyone,

Stayed there 3 days, stayed in wamona hotel in the park, now called big trees.

Real old style no tv in room hotel.
    Proposed to my wife there.

Amazing park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you're going to Yosemite, it's well worth going to the far side and visiting Bodie which is about 45 minutes north of it.

It's an old ghost town.

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/bodie.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If you're going to Yosemite, it's well worth going to the far side and visiting Bodie which is about 45 minutes north of it.

It's an old ghost town.

http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/bodie.htm

that is unreal but I wonder is there a degree of staging involved

i.e. the wood neatly stacked or the bottles in the saloon

either way I wish I had heard about that place - would definitely have made the detour

lawred2 wrote: »
    that is unreal but I wonder is there a degree of staging involved

Apparently not with structures. If they fall or collapse, that's it. They don't repair them but there is a bit of staging inside the buildings I think.

When I was there the school or something had a map of the world on the wall and it had the 'Soviet Union' on it which wouldn't have been around during gold rush times.

We went there early in the morning when there were very few people around so it was an amazing scene. There were a couple of coyotes roaming around minding their own business. And the drive in from the interstate along an old dirt road is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Reminds me a bit of Calico, although Calico is not nearly as authentic anymore and is now a tourist destination, albeit a genuine old mining town none the less;

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/Parks/CalicoGhostTown.aspx

You pass it if driving LA to Vegas. If on that route its definitely worth a visit, as is the Hoover Dam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

anewme wrote: »
    I found food in the states way below way below what we have here, and way more expensive in general.

Well where did you go and were did you eat? its a big place, you're comparing a country of 300 million to a country of 3 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

I've been to Yosemite a bunch of times. Winter is awesome there. Summer not so much because it's too crowded, even when you go out onto the trails. September & start of October are my favourite times. Crowds are much less, no mozzies or biting insects, and the weather is fab. It's also easier to get permits for hikes to the top of Half Dome etc...awesome gruelling hike btw!!
    We do a lot of hiking which is why we usually spend a week at a time every trip to Yosemite alone. Usually part of a road trip that takes in a bunch of other parks. We're not into cities, so avoid most of them except San Francisco. Last trip last Sept/Oct was 4 weeks, taking in 8 national parks starting in SF and finishing in Denver.
    Do yourself a favour, if you do decide to put Yosemite in your schedule, stay at least 3 nights. Even if you don't hike much, there's so much to see.
    Regards hotels...we avoid them. We rent a cabin in the Foresta area of the park. Much nicer. The hotels in the park leave a lot to the imagination! They're overpriced & the food in most of the restaurants is terrible! Nicer to cook for ourselves....even on our honeymoon, which we did too!

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Well where did you go and were did you eat? its a big place, you're comparing a country of 300 million to a country of 3 million.

As I said above, I did a national parks tour, so in some ways, appreciate its a captive audience.

The food in Yosemite was just ok and very expensive for what it was.

Even a food shop is expensive, we made picnic lunches from Whole Foods, which were fabulous, but you are talking Fallon & Byrne and Avoca pricing, if not more.

we went to one of the other supermarkets to stock up, say the equivalent of say, Tesco, very expensive and the deli stuff was pure stodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Heading to Yosemite in July. I've been there before, but this time we're doing it a little differently.
    xJucy-Penthouse-Large-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.28KMvaKBXa.webp
    Also, expecting fine cuisine in a national park is a bit of a reach. And to say that 

food in the states way below way below what we have here

just means you havn't very much experience of the States.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Heading to Yosemite in July. I've been there before, but this time we're doing it a little differently.
    xJucy-Penthouse-Large-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.28KMvaKBXa.webp
    Also, expecting fine cuisine in a national park is a bit of a reach. And to say that

Where did I say that I was expecting fine cuisine.

I am giving my experience after spending 3 and a half weeks travelling around starting in San Francisco and ending up in Vegas. That to me is experience enough to comment and hopefully help the OP. I dont appreciate anyone being condescending or belittling.

It is my opinion is that food in general in Ireland is better than food in the States, thats my experince. You dont have to agree with it, but it does not change my experience or prohibit me from commenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Like you, I was offering my opinion. I felt that yours was an outlier. Didn't realize that my comments would cause you offense.

• Advertisement

Like you, I was offering my opinion. I felt that yours was an outlier. Didn't realize that my comments would cause you offense.

When someone offers their opinion and your response is "just means you haven't much experience" it comes across as talking down to someone and that their opinion is less valid. That's how it come across, whether or not it was meant that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Well from my stay in Curry Village at the time, the food was utterly shocking and I am very easily pleased with food and will eat anything.

It was the same in the hotel we stayed in Grand Canyon national park. Terrible.

I was not expecting "fine cuisine" either, far from it, but some of the stuff served up was borderline inedible.

I do agree with one point you make though, that in general I do enjoy food in America, but the national parks are a disgrace from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I've dined from New York to Miami on the East coast and San Fran to San Diego on the West, and on average the food is not as good as we have in Europe and that is not down to snobbery or "means you havn't very much experience of the States." It's a fact. It's due to the lax regulations on food production and quality of ingredients compared to EU. You only have to look as far as the ingredients of chocolate bar like herseys to see it.

Butyric acid found in milk chocolate produced by the Hershey process, or added to imitate the flavour of Hershey's chocolate.[9] Butyric acid is present in, and is the main distinctive smell of, human vomit.[10] It has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste

Yeah you have no argument mate.
    I've also done 'home shopping' in the likes walmart etc and cooked dinner. THE worst chicken fillets you'll ever taste in your life. The only way to get good food would be the likes of organic farmers markets every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

You definitely pay for good food in the US.
    If you want good food in a national park, actually great food, go to the North Rim Grand Canyon lodge. It's the only park I would actually visit just to have a meal there, actually we done that on our last trip, 1 night. Grand Canyon isn't my favourite park, there's much better IMO...but the food is fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Thanks for all the feedback!

Seems like most of you visited Yosemite as part of a bigger trip. Any other recommendations I should definitely include?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mactheknife19

Stayed there 3 days, stayed in wamona hotel in the park, now called big trees.

Real old style no tv in room hotel.
    Proposed to my wife there.

Amazing park.

Stayed here and loved it. Very old world. Our room didn't have a toilet, so out you went along the veranda at night, but there is something fun about that with the sound of the forest. Evening entertainment in the lobby with a local playing the piano and talking about the history of the park. Felt like you were transported back to the 60's. Reminded me of the places the middle class American used to go to back then, something like you'd see in the "Wonder Years". Food was good from what I remember. Would love to go back with the kids someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Was there 15 years ago , Drove up from San Fran , stayed a night in a Log Cabin and drove over the Tioga Pass into Death Valley stayed there a night and then on to Vegas

Its tricky as the Pass can often be closed and the haul to our accommodation in Death Valley would have been pretty epic if we had to go around .We traveled in Late August and it was touch and go on the pass , it was closed the day we arrived in Yosemite and opened the day we planned to cross

The park is truly awe inspiring , one of the most beautiful places on Earth .

Thanks for all the feedback!

Seems like most of you visited Yosemite as part of a bigger trip. Any other recommendations I should definitely include?

If you're heading to Yosemite from the San Francisco area, take a slight detour to little towns like Sonora and Columbia and back on route, stop at the Iron Door Saloon in Groveland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I am doing it as a circuit later this year, start in San Fran, have some days there then drive down Pacific Coast Highway for 3 days as far as Ventura then head up to Yosemite from there for couple of days before back to the Airport and home.

The drive from Ventura to Yosemite is the same time as SF to Yosemite so easy to fit all in if you have the days.

Plenty of itineraries on Trip Advisor and Boards to advise where to visit on PCH if you consider it.

• Advertisement

jme2010 wrote: »
    I've dined from New York to Miami on the East coast and San Fran to San Diego on the West, and on average the food is not as good as we have in Europe and that is not down to snobbery or "means you havn't very much experience of the States." It's a fact. It's due to the lax regulations on food production and quality of ingredients compared to EU. You only have to look as far as the ingredients of chocolate bar like herseys to see it.

Butyric acid found in milk chocolate produced by the Hershey process, or added to imitate the flavour of Hershey's chocolate.[9] Butyric acid is present in, and is the main distinctive smell of, human vomit.[10] It has an unpleasant smell and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste

Yeah you have no argument mate.
    I've also done 'home shopping' in the likes walmart etc and cooked dinner. THE worst chicken fillets you'll ever taste in your life. The only way to get good food would be the likes of organic farmers markets every week.

Wholefoods is good but would be like permanently shopping in Fallon and Byrne or Avoca.

Can't remember if it was Walmart I went to, it was another chain but the standard of food was very poor quality. I ate imported yoghurt. Lidl or Aldi would give it a tonne.

The food in the national parks rotten too!

Advertisement