Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Lighting Wiring Help

Options
  • 24-03-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an LED flood light with motion sensor (built as part of the light) which I installed a few months ago all working well.

I have another light with motion sensor (same model) which I hope to install the weekend at the side if the house , by taking a feed from the existing light.

I want both lights to go off if either of the sensor lights are triggered.

Is this something which can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yes, both PIR sensors would need to be wired up in parallel.
    Generally though it is better to do this with standalone sensors as some inbuilt PIR sensors can't be wired in parallel and really having that many wires in the tiny box at the back of the light is not good as the wires will not fit through the IP gland.

But yes it can be done.

611px-MultiPIRandLampCircuit.gif

Ok I see you said that the PIRs are same brand, then it should be fine. The problem arises when you use a larger PIR and you get backfeed current down the switched live of the other PIR, but with your setup all should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

alan4cult wrote: »
    Yes, both PIR sensors would need to be wired up in parallel.
    Generally though it is better to do this with standalone sensors as some inbuilt PIR sensors can't be wired in parallel and really having that many wires in the tiny box at the back of the light is not good as the wires will not fit through the IP gland.

But yes it can be done.

611px-MultiPIRandLampCircuit.gif

Ok I see you said that the PIRs are same brand, then it should be fine. The problem arises when you use a larger PIR and you get backfeed current down the switched live of the other PIR, but with your setup all should be fine.

Thats great, it is what I was planning in my head however I was worried if both PIR's were triggered would that cause a problem with a live on each side of the PIR.

Many Thanks

Advertisement