Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle to support the Liffey Cycleway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I should make it, either solo, or, if the planets align, with kids. But should make it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Weather looks perfect. Looking forward to a stress free spin down the quays today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I'll be there too...! I'll be cycling in with the Dutch bike shop people. They're leaving their store in Goatstown at 10am to meet in Phoenix Park.

What a day out there - should be a good one today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Weepsie wrote: »
    So you can use public transport, you just don't like going into town first?

Anyway family birthday for me tomorrow so i wont make it

Pfft, it's my birthday today and I'll make it :P

Happy birthday, Chuchote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

I'll pop along also with my touring bike. See you all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Going to pop along myself. Be heading along the quays anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

See you all there -- but the most important thing to note is: the bike I'll be on is borrowed! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    I'm strongly supportive of providing segregated facilities along the Liffey corridor, but I'm quite strongly opposed to the solution being a on one side of the river only; I believe that the provisional emerging preferred option is a two-way track on the north quays, and that this is the option favoured by the Campaign. I'd be concerned that support in principle for segregation might be misconstrued as support for a particular design.

(As it happens, I can't make it to the event, so to an extent it's a moot point. But, as you say, a bit more clarity would be useful.)

Why are you strongly opposed to it? Safety? Connections?

Also, were you of this opinion as far back as the Dutch Cycling Embassy workshop on this?

For a continuously segregated route, a two-way cycle path seems to be the only way to go to provide continuous space... unless they get ultra radical and remove what is planned to be the last remaining traffic lane on the central section of the south quays (an option which isn't likely any time soon).

I know the NTA and some others are reluctant about two-way cycle paths but I'm afraid London has blown those concerns out of the water.

I agree that the event could have been more clear cut on what is being supported -- although unlike you, I would have said that the council's option of two-way cycle path and diverting cars before Ellis Quay would be the one to support.

Just here now. Black and white Scott. I'm also the idiot who forgot his sunglasses

• Advertisement

Big enough crowd here. Beautiful weather helps!

Got there, very good turn-out, lots of different types of people, lots of kids.

One motorist seemed to do a slow drive into a Dublin Cycling Campaign marshal, but that was the only aggro I saw.

I got to the Point, and then had to hotfoot it out of there to get back home to get one of the kids to a party, so missed speeches.

Glad I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Great turn out...

Yes very successful. The people who brought dogs were good fun as they barked away. I saw a motorist get very shouty at a marshal as we were crossing the custom house bridge. To be fair the lights were green but obviously he could not wait for a few minutes so we could all pass as a group.

The far-famed dog in a green cargo bike was there too).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Great turnout - maybe about 300 cyclists. I joined at the Rosie Hackett bridge. There was some beeping of horns of some motorists who didn't like having to stop at green to let the cyclists pass.

I wish I had brought my dog who sits in a crate in the front of my bike.

Another Dog, Very Vocal This fello!

Fairly enjoyable but also food for thought.

As a nation we are disgraceful road users, from pedestrians all the way to large HGV/Bus drivers and everything in between. I have used roads in other countries around Europe and apart from parts of Turkey I hate to say it but in Dublin we are among the worst.

I saw two drivers today becoming enraged at having to wait until the (well marshalled) group went by. Pedestrians running out in front of the cyclists and sadly some poor cycling. I like the idea of a Liffey Cycleway though, anything to stop the carnage on the quays. Too many serious injuries and lives lost over the years but collectively attitudes need to change. I cycled a bit in Amsterdam during the summer and the difference was massive, I know they have a far better cycling infrastructure but all road users obeying lights was one clear difference.

I have to say though I'm not a fan of the proposal to decrease the speed limit to 30km/h, 50 is fine but it needs to be enforced and so does lane discipline.

I say all of the above as a road user, cyclist, pedestrian and driver. I do a lot of my driving and cycling in Dublin City Centre for various reasons

Beautiful day for it. Some drivers glared and blared all right, but others beeped and flashed their winky-winkies in support.
    As for the 30km/h speed limit, the electronic signs show why it's necessary in a city with lots of pedestrians, cyclists and children:
    • At 30km/h if hit by a car 1 in 10 pedestrians will die
    • At 50km/h if hit by a car 5 in 10 pedestrians will die

Fairly enjoyable but also food for thought.

As a nation we are disgraceful road users, from pedestrians all the way to large HGV/Bus drivers and everything in between. I have used roads in other countries around Europe and apart from parts of Turkey I hate to say it but in Dublin we are among the worst.

I saw two drivers today becoming enraged at having to wait until the (well marshalled) group went by. Pedestrians running out in front of the cyclists and sadly some poor cycling. I like the idea of a Liffey Cycleway though, anything to stop the carnage on the quays. Too many serious injuries and lives lost over the years but collectively attitudes need to change. I cycled a bit in Amsterdam during the summer and the difference was massive, I know they have a far better cycling infrastructure but all road users obeying lights was one clear difference.

I have to say though I'm not a fan of the proposal to decrease the speed limit to 30km/h, 50 is fine but it needs to be enforced and so does lane discipline.

I say all of the above as a road user, cyclist, pedestrian and driver. I do a lot of my driving and cycling in Dublin City Centre for various reasons

30km will improve the city for residents and pedestrians the most.

The average speed in the city is already below 30kph so people are speeding to try and get one up on the each other at the next junction.
    Hard to justify higher speeds when there is no net benefit for either motorist, pedestrian or cyclists.

Increased speed come with higher pollution levels, more brake dust, more road noise. And of course a much higher chance of a fatality if there is a collusion.

It will take time for people to adapt, and there will need to be a campaign to high light the benefits.

• Advertisement

Bit in the Irish Times, linking the cycle with the Flann O'Brien anniversary.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/a-day-of-the-bike-popular-protest-and-purple-prose-on-mylesday-1.3034073

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Bit in the Irish Times, linking the cycle with the Flann O'Brien anniversary.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/a-day-of-the-bike-popular-protest-and-purple-prose-on-mylesday-1.3034073

Also in "Images of the Weekend"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/images-of-the-weekend-1.3034118

Unfortunately, this guy from the St Patrick's Day Parade didn't make it

17390453_10212344851920338_3585638209415858118_o.jpg?itok=965Tn_I1

It's €20 a year to join the Dublin Cycling Campaign, which organised the cycle:

http://www.dublincycling.com/join

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Feckofff wrote: »

Time to start the countdown to complaint letter(s) to the editor about lack of helmet on cyclist and small child...

Good coverage in the papers. Well done all that could make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

buffalo wrote: »
    Time to start the countdown to complaint letter(s) to the editor about lack of helmet on cyclist and small child...

Time to start penning our own letters of support!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Video of yesterday's Liffey Cycle. Estimated turnout was around 500, not including all the canine cyclists. Quite a few people joined in at the various junctions along the route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,063 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

From Broadsheet
    Boj
    April 3, 2017 at 4:44 pm
    C’mere to me, safety this, vulnerable road user that, blah blah blah.
    How many of those super safety conscious bike riders campaigning for safer cycle lanes are NOT even wearing a bike helmet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's started under the irish post on Facebook about this event.

Advertisement