Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playerunknown's : Battlegrounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The concept has been done before.

It's the game that people have gone for. Look at fortnite, it hadn't taken off the same even though it's free.

Pubg 1.0 will be interesting for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

RossieMan wrote: »
    The concept has been done before.

It's the game that people have gone for. Look at fortnite, it hadn't taken off the same even though it's free.

Pubg 1.0 will be interesting for sure.

Fortnite has done well if the numbers are to be believed. It's also still a very new game, and PUBG took a while before it really grabbed people. What it's missing is a reward for winning like BP in PUBG.

When should we expect version 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The end of December, apparently.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Their target was to get 1.0 and xbox version out by the end of the year, I'd say they/re still on course to get that done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Falthyron wrote: »
    You think its wrong to want a game that is properly optimised? I have 240+ hours in PUBG and I played it well enough to get top 1000 at one point. I also have over 400 games on Steam from a very wide range in variety (AAA developers to indie developers) and when you consider the sheer amount of money they have made, it is insulting that they won't bother to invest in some decent developers to come on board and fix the damn game.

Furthermore, I am fortunate enough to play the game with an i7 4770K, 16gb of RAM and a Geforce 1080Ti and I can tell you that whether I play the game on Ultra or Very Low, the difference in performance is negligible. That alone speaks volumes as to how well this game is optimised.

As for comparisons to other games, the likes of Mass Effect and WatchDogs receive huge criticism for performance and bugs in the media. It is well documented, but because PUBG falls under the umbrella of 'indie' it should be given a pass? Horseshít. The game has made over 500m alone in 8 months and continues to make more revenue with boxes and in-game advertising - it no longer falls under the indie category, imo. They have the resources to hire some very good developers to fix the game, but they won't, even though it wouldn't put a dent in their revenue.

When you consider what they have added to the game or changed since August, with that kind of revenue and customer base, it is a joke that the game is still in the state it is in. Personally, I don't think they can fix it. Its a bunch of pre-made assets built on a shoddily edited version of the UE4 engine and it would take a long time to fix it - perhaps even require stripping a lot of it back and re-building it.
    Which of my 12 words was a demand? I'll never understand the fanboy mentality people develop with early access games. It's like people are terrified they've been made a fool of so they try their best to make a polished turd seem like a diamond. This game has one thing going for it, the concept. When people start to copy it PUBG is finished. The devs know this. That's why they've spent the last 6 months cashing in.

I think you both should stop playing videogames or posting on the internet about videogames a lot of anger in your demands on what a company you have nothing to do with should do.

Or post on reddit....but I guess you both already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Which of my 12 words was a demand? I'll never understand the fanboy mentality people develop with early access games. It's like people are terrified they've been made a fool of so they try their best to make a polished turd seem like a diamond. This game has one thing going for it, the concept. When people start to copy it PUBG is finished. The devs know this. That's why they've spent the last 6 months cashing in.

The concept originated in Arma and has been around for many years, I'm not sure you'll see many other game developers trying to make money from it, it's a bit like flogging a dead horse at this stage. I think I first played the Arma mod 5 years ago? I'm not sure. Anyway, you bought an unfinished game for 30e and got 240 hours of play time out of it. That sounds like pretty good value to me. I've only played around 100 hours and although it's far from perfect we haven't been ripped off. What exactly are you expecting considering the game is still a work in progress? Bug free seamless performance? The game is far from a polished turd in my experience. I think part of PUBG success is the feel of the game rather than the concept, the gunplay is nice and map is well designed.

Edit: my post is directed more at Falthyron than you I suppose.

MadYaker wrote: »
    The concept originated in Arma and has been around for many years, I'm not sure you'll see many other game developers trying to make money from it, it's a bit like flogging a dead horse at this stage. I think I first played the Arma mod 5 years ago? I'm not sure. Anyway, you bought an unfinished game for 30e and got 240 hours of play time out of it. That sounds like pretty good value to me. I've only played around 100 hours and although it's far from perfect we haven't been ripped off. What exactly are you expecting considering the game is still a work in progress? Bug free seamless performance? The game is far from a polished turd in my experience. I think part of PUBG success is the feel of the game rather than the concept, the gunplay is nice and map is well designed.

Edit: my post is directed more at Falthyron than you I suppose.

I'm not implying I have been ripped off. Not once did I mention asking for a refund or any sort of money back. I am simply suggesting that this game has not received the technical attention other Early Access games have received. It quite clearly states the game is in Early Access and you should not purchase if you are unwilling to put up with crashes, bugs, etc. I signed on for that, but from my point of view and understanding, you sign on with the knowledge that the developer is aware of these issues and will work to address them during Early Access. Very little has been done on this matter in the last 3 months, in fact, my game still crashes and there is serious performance issues that have existed since June.

Instead, the developer has spent much of its time making skins, a lootbox system, and other ways to make more money. Surely the priority should be on trying to fix the glaring issues. And I am not saying that I am the only person to experience these problems, take a look at the Steam reviews and the Steam discussions.

EDIT: On the matter of other developers taking the idea and making their own version? Look at Minecraft. Since Minecraft many AAA developers adopted the crafting idea and implemented it into games that probably shouldn't have had it (e.g. Fallout 4). Minecraft became a massive success and its ideas inspired other developers to iterate and include such mechanics into their own game. The sheer success of PUBG suggests the same will happen with future games. Games that have multiplayer will start to implement a battlegrounds type multiplayer game mode and, quite possibly, do a better job. This, I reckon (and has been suggested by Captain Obvious above) is why Bluehole is adding loot boxes and prioritising monetisation now. Bleed it dry before someone else comes along and perfects the execution of this idea.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I think you both should stop playing videogames or posting on the internet about videogames a lot of anger in your demands on what a company you have nothing to do with should do.

Not angry, and I don't even go on Reddit, nevermind have an account to post there.

Perhaps you should try to address the matters I have raised (this being a forum for discussion and all) instead of implying things and telling me what to do?

I am just challenging the consensus that this game is wonderful and perfect. It is far from it and when the developer spends more time finding new ways to make money instead of fixing glaring issues that have existed for months, you have to wonder exactly what state this game will be in come the end of December.

EDIT: I get it. You love the game and won't hear anything bad said about it. I'm happy you can wear rose-tinted glasses and enjoy PUBG without reservations. I am simply sharing my concerns that the priorities for this title have shifted and I reckon the game will 'launch' pretty much in the same state it is in now, except for the new map and some additional content to paint over the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

The main issue as of now is banning the hackers, they'll ruin the game more than anything else will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

A few of us have put a lot of hours into this game and imho its going backwards recently. I get decent performance, have had a few good wins etc and still enjoy the game but its clear to me that the company are doing a cash grab as quickly as possible, primarily to get the Xbox version out I guess, and then we'll see some improvement in the PC version.

My biggest issue at the moment is as madcabbge said, the hackers are everywhere, multiple games have ended recently when down to last 15 or so players and suddenly a player will wipe out the squad while on full auto with all kills being head shots.

And lol at the reddit comments, is there some inclination that boards is somewhat high brow these days?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

PUBG is a great game, even with the various flaws but the bigger issue with PC gaming is the Early Access model.

Realistically PUBG has sold approx 90% of all it's potential PC sales while in Early Access, amassing $600m in sales. This cannot be considered a true Early Access concept. However, the success of the game's massive sales will only encourage more developers to follow the model. Games will be rushed out to gain market share as soon as possible while ignoring basic gameplay issues or performance problems. Once the money is made there is little incentive to go back and correct the issues.

The Early Access model is a great concept for indie developers to obtain funding by releasing their game early to help with future development costs.But when the world buys your game while it's in Early Access and months go by without resolution to obvious issues then you need to question the motivation of the developers.

The hackers have definitely gotten worse recently on the EU servers, ***** are everywhere. Was 2 tapped wearing a level 3 helmet in the car the other day driving full speed with an AK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Is that supposed to be an insult?
    The concept originated in Arma and has been around for many years, I'm not sure you'll see many other game developers trying to make money from it, it's a bit like flogging a dead horse at this stage. I think I first played the Arma mod 5 years ago? I'm not sure.

Anyway, you bought an unfinished game for 30e and got 240 hours of play time out of it. That sounds like pretty good value to me. I've only played around 100 hours and although it's far from perfect we haven't been ripped off. What exactly are you expecting considering the game is still a work in progress? Bug free seamless performance? The game is far from a polished turd in my experience. I think part of PUBG success is the feel of the game rather than the concept, the gunplay is nice and map is well designed.

I'm expecting the developers to stick to the promises they have made, promises which played a big part in my purchase of the game. i don't think that's a lot to ask.

I have been playing Ac all week I will go back to PUBG, I think you have an issue with something where you feel Bluehole owe you something after you paid money for it.

This isnt the 1st LMS game and it wont be the last(guessing you didnt play it in Dayz or A3), i think you and Sir Digby have a serious chip on your shoulders (reddit style) where the game now owes you.

You should play more games and not get invested in hatred of a game you are still going to play. Makes you come across as a sap.

I will still play PUBG.......

Is that supposed to be an insult?

I'm expecting the developers to stick to the promises they have made, promises which played a big part in my purchase of the game. i don't think that's a lot to ask.

What promises have been broken?

I have been playing Ac all week I will go back to PUBG, I think you have an issue with something where you feel Bluehole owe you something after you paid money for it.

This isnt the 1st LMS game and it wont be the last(guessing you didnt play it in Dayz or A3), i think you and Sir Digby have a serious chip on your shoulders (reddit style) where the game now owes you.

You should play more games and not get invested in hatred of a game you are still going to play. Makes you come across as a sap.

I will still play PUBG.......

Yes the game does owe me. That's the whole point of early access. You pay for the unfinished product with a promise that you will receive a completed game after more development. So I'm owed a completed game.
    What promises have been broken?

Regular new content, optimisation and micro transactions.

**** off.

They've given you regular new content, they've optimised it a bit.
    The micro transactions was a bad point yes, but every game does it now. Look at Psyonix and rocket league.

Wait for PUBG 1.0.

or go back to RUST or H1Z1. Games that'll never leave early access.

Some people really haven't a clue what it takes to make a game of this magnitude.

If you don't want to put up with bugs and a slow dev process then wait until the full release and pay twice as much but i guess people need something to whinge about

Yes the game does owe me.

jesus ......there we have it ....precious much?

Yah know its just a video game.....Im pretty sure you got your 30 quids worth but are now a spoilt reddit child that demands more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

well in fairness the more points I read the more I tend to agree.
    Bluehole has made a huge pile of cash from this game and the last thing we want is companies feeling they can cash in on early access games and then walk away. I don't think any of us want that would you agree?

They've given you regular new content,

No they haven't. They put a sidecar on the bike, added three guns and copy and pasted some structures to the north east of the map. And they have by no means been regular. Sporadic at best. Sorry, I forgot about all the micro transaction based skins they added.
    they've optimised it a bit.

Again, no they haven't. The forums are filled with people experiencing regular drops in FPS with each successive patch. The servers seem worse than ever too.
    The micro transactions was a bad point yes, but every game does it now. Look at Psyonix and rocket league.

No I won't look at another game. The devs made an explicit promise and broke it. They have devoted massive resources to money making instead of developing the game.
    Some people really haven't a clue what it takes to make a game of this magnitude.

Including Bluehole it seems.
    If you don't want to put up with bugs and a slow dev process then wait until the full release and pay twice as much but i guess people need something to whinge about

The whole point of early access is to point out bugs in order to get them fixed. But they aren't being fixed. I'd have no issue with a slow dev process but the devs have set a release date that doesn't allow for a slow process.
    jesus ......there we have it ....precious much?

Yah know its just a video game.....Im pretty sure you got your 30 quids worth but are now a spoilt reddit child that demands more.

Again with reddit. You have an odd obsession with it. I got more than my thirty quids worth. I still want a finished game though. That's what I paid for. It's a simple contract. If fanboys like yourself keep letting companies off the hook for subpar products just because they were early access then the early access model of selling will stop working because people won't trust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Got PUBG with a mate.

My personal take

- It's ok, not amazing.
    - Very badly optimised
    - Some things are just stupid, 4 shots into a guy...doesn't die...but one HEADSHOT PUNCH can kill you.
    - Lobby and pregame is a mess
    - It's not very polished...at all

With regards to PUBG claiming the rights to Battle Royal etc.....the game seems like it was straight ripped from RUST's mod (Battle Royale)
    I'm near positive RUST did it first.
    Battle Royale on a map, with a ever closing outer circle (in RUST it did radiation dmg) . Rust also had airdrops with the best weapons...which PUBG seems to have taken too.

Overall.... 6/10

It's the concept that makes the game, but it's not an original concept.
    I'd hope they fix it up soon....or some competent developer comes along and makes a clear and well optimised game.
    They've made so much money already that it's quite unbelievable how lazy they've been and how the game is in such a state.

This EARLY ACCESS excuse doesn't wash with me at all especially after making so much money.
    They can easy afford to pay top class devs and programmers to patch their game and upgrade it in no time.

And from what I read Cheats are rampant.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Jesus KD did someone on Reddit burn you or something?

TheFairy wrote: »
    Jesus KD did someone on Reddit burn you or something?

I associate all precious gamers who feel they are entitled to something other than the software they purchased with reddit and 4chan as they are the most toxic of all people who play video games.

Saying that the Elite Dangerous Sub reddit is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I stuck with Ark for 18 months on Xbox game preview. If I can survive that sh!t fest, Battlegrounds looks like a piece of Cake in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I stuck with Ark for 18 months on Xbox game preview. If I can survive that sh!t fest, Battlegrounds looks like a piece of Cake in comparison.
    loaded up ark again for the first time since it went full release and it's actually worse than i remember it from early access lol :D

I associate all precious gamers who feel they are entitled to something other than the software they purchased with reddit and 4chan as they are the most toxic of all people who play video games.

Saying that the Elite Dangerous Sub reddit is decent.

You should read over your posts in this thread if you need an example of what toxic is. I'm simply amazed that you don't feel you are entitled to a finished product when you prepay for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Call me crazy but I couldn't care less how cynical or cash-grabby the devs are, I've had 80 hours of fun with PUBG so far and it's not letting up yet. If the servers just shut down tomorrow without a word I'd still feel like I got more than my money's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

You should read over your posts in this thread if you need an example of what toxic is. I'm simply amazed that you don't feel you are entitled to a finished product when you prepay for something.

PUBG is in early access, ye get what ye pay for.. a buggy unoptimized somewhat broken mess, and you call yourself Captain Obvious?!

Slacker! :D Bet you wait til the last minute to drop out of the plane too dontcha? Get those sneaky punchkills in haha

Advertisement