Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive other cars... some questions

Options
  • 24-03-2017 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a policy with Liberty through a broker but I thought I might check with yourselves as the rules are stipulated by you

I wish to use the "drive other car" element of my policy to drive a car not beloning to me. The other car is taxed and NCT'd but does not have a policy of it's own. My broker tells me this is all okay provided I have permission to drive the other car and that I don't own the other car

Back to my own car to which the policy is linked. Do I need to keep NCT active on this car to keep the policy above board or am I okay to let the NCT lapse considering I won't be driving this car when I'm using the other car? If there were a claim while I'm in the "other car"... would the fact there's no NCT on the base car be an issue?

Thx

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 112 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Lisa K

Hi sat matt, one of the conditions of the driving of other cars extension is that you have to still have an insurable interest of your own. Your own car would need to remain in a roadworthy condition for the extension to be valid. Regards Lisa 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

but do your terms stipulate that if a car does not have a valid NCT that is is automatically not roadworthy.....That is, does the absence of a valid NCT make the car not road worthy, regardless of the actual condition of the car 

....also you forgot to answer the OP's 1st question :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

Hi sat matt, one of the conditions of the driving of other cars extension is that you have to still have an insurable interest of your own. Your own car would need to remain in a roadworthy condition for the extension to be valid. Regards Lisa 
    Thanks Lisa,

I would still have an insurable interest of my own on my current car in this case but the NCT on it would lapse during the period of my use of the other car. As for "remaining in road-worthy condition"... you'll need to be more specific. Does being in road-worthy condition mean having a valid NCT cert or does it just mean it starts and drives?!

Also, irishgrover is correct in that your terms do not state that a car must have a valid NCT. I must say your terms seem rather lenient... no engine size limit for example, no maximum term for using the other car. I'm not complaining but one wonders is this perceived leniency to the benefit of the insured or to the benefit of the insurer?

• Company Representative Posts: 112 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Lisa K

Hi Sat matt, one of the terms and conditions of our Driving Other Cars cover is that the insured (main) vehicle remains owned by / registered to you and has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair.

Regardless, you should not let the NCT on the insured (main) vehicle lapse as to drive a vehicle without a valid NCT is an offence under the Road Traffic Act and it would also have negative implications for you if trying to claim from your insurance policy for an incident which occurred whilst driving that main vehicle.  The purpose of Driving Other Cars is to provide short term / temporary cover to drive another vehicle not owned by you.  It is not intended to provide long term / permanent cover on that ‘other’ vehicle. Therefore, it would be expected that the insured (main) vehicle continue to adhere to the RTA requirement of holding a valid NCT. 

Please note you can review the full list of terms and conditions, in respect of our Driving Other Cars cover, in the policy booklet that your broker would have provided you with when you incepted your insurance policy.  If you have any further questions you should contact your Insurance Broker as they are your authorised advisor in respect of this policy of insurance and can assist you with any other queries you may have. Regards Lisa

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

Hi Sat matt, one of the terms and conditions of our Driving Other Cars cover is that the insured (main) vehicle remains owned by / registered to you and has not been damaged beyond cost-effective repair.

Regardless, you should not let the NCT on the insured (main) vehicle lapse as to drive a vehicle without a valid NCT is an offence under the Road Traffic Act and it would also have negative implications for you if trying to claim from your insurance policy for an incident which occurred whilst driving that main vehicle.  The purpose of Driving Other Cars is to provide short term / temporary cover to drive another vehicle not owned by you.  It is not intended to provide long term / permanent cover on that ‘other’ vehicle. Therefore, it would be expected that the insured (main) vehicle continue to adhere to the RTA requirement of holding a valid NCT. 

Please note you can review the full list of terms and conditions, in respect of our Driving Other Cars cover, in the policy booklet that your broker would have provided you with when you incepted your insurance policy.  If you have any further questions you should contact your Insurance Broker as they are your authorised advisor in respect of this policy of insurance and can assist you with any other queries you may have. Regards Lisa
    OK, thanks Lisa

I have read the full terms and based on these and my reading of the above, I take it to be that the main insured vehicle does not need an NCT to use the other car extension. In the case of a claim while driving the other car, it would be a real stretch - even for an insurance company - to refuse cover due to the insured main car not having an NCT despite it being parked up in a driveway somewhere and having no involvement in the claim

As it happens, I switched away from your broker at the weekend. Sorry but I wouldn't be comfortable driving on Liberty's wishy-washy terms

• Advertisement
Advertisement