Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License query

Options
  • 24-03-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all, i will be relocating to France for good later this year but will still come shooting here on a regular basis. Ireland has to be one of the best place for Woodcock and deer stalking.
    Anyway , wondering about my options.
    Would it be better bringing my shotgun and rifle to France and apply for a non-resident firearm license every year or is it possible to keep them licensed here and leave them at a friend's house after letting the garda know about it ?

Not too sure which is best. Can you actually get a non-resident license for the full year ?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

stef22 wrote: »
    Would it be better bringing my shotgun and rifle to France and apply for a non-resident firearm license every year or is it possible to keep them licensed here and leave them at a friend's house after letting the Garda know about it ?
    Unless your friend is licensed you cannot leave a gun in the home/possible possession of someone not licensed on them. You might be better bring them with you and use them there, then apply for the non-resident each time you come home.
    Not too sure which is best.
    TBH it's a tricky one, but the one bit i'd be fairly confident about the bit above and storing them at your mates house without him being licensed.
    Can you actually get a non-resident license for the full year ?
    It lasts for a year at a time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Cass wrote: »
    Unless your friend is licensed you cannot leave a gun in the home/possible possession of someone not licensed on them. You might be better bring them with you and use them there, then apply for the non-resident each time you come home.

TBH it's a tricky one, but the one bit i'd be fairly confident about the bit above and storing them at your mates house without him being licensed.

It lasts for a year at a time.

why not get your mate to licence the guns,so your both licenced to use carry them,he can then hold unto them, you pay his 80 euro for the three years a cheaper less hassle free way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Maybe another viable is to leave the guns in a registered firearms dealer, keep them licenced and take them out when you come back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My local Firearms dealer charges €2 a week per gun for storage, check your dealer, just in case he's more expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stef22

thanks to all who posted.
    i think the best solution will be to bring them with me to France and get a non resident license.
    If they are valid for a year then it is not much of a hassle really.

Just hope the FO process the non resident license faster. It took 5 months for my last one to come through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »

Sorry for slightly derailing the thread but what if the guns were stored in a gunsafe in the friend's house and the friend didn't have a key to the safe? Then they wouldn't have possession of the firearms. Would that be ok?

Its a tricky one to be sure but it raises all kinds of problems. It's something none of us can answer for definite. I'd say to the OP if he really wants to try this to go for it. However depending on the amount of firearms he may find himself putting in a lot of security into his friends house for something that may not be passed or signed off on by the CPO.

Then separate to the CPO is his mate. If your friend has no problem helping you out thinking he is only storing the guns but then finds out the security measures needed, or if the friend wants to do anything down the road that requires the firearms to be moved, touched, etc. it will cause a problem there.

I'm only thinking out loud and frankly none of what i say may be an issue. As said it's the CPO that will determine this, not me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

you can store guns in many rifle ranges now.. i no a friend has one in dublin.. courtlough i think it is.. think he pays 120 euro a year for it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stef22

but would storing my rifle in a range or dealer allow me to apply for the 3 years licenses even if i am non-resident ?

Playing Devil's advocate, and as the OP said, it would cause problems as for being a non resident as well as some of the details you would fill out on the FCA1 or FCR would/could be fraudulent.

Only naming some issues, not trying to put up road blocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement