Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company cars electric

• 24-03-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭

with the ranges of Tesla 3 etc coming shortly. Will companies who have employees doing big mileage, only go with the likes of the tesla 3 etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Idbatterim wrote: »
    with the ranges of Tesla 3 etc coming shortly. Will companies who have employees doing big mileage, only go with the likes of the tesla 3 etc?

if we ever see the tesla 3 in any serious numbers ( see Goldman Sachs recent downgrading of Tesla stock )

by the time we see the model 3, we should have several Evs with equivalent ranges or close to it and with a better spread of price points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Idbatterim wrote: »

No

Reason for this is the backwards system

I had company car.
    My company had a requirement for tax band which most diesel cars meet, so can petrol but no deduction if your car is lower than the band set
    The BIK is worked off the list price of the vehicle
    Then the more mileage you do the more you get off the BIK
    If you get a diesel you then get a diesel fuel card, so you get VAT off the diesel. Not with petrol
    From what I can see if I get an electric car there is no way to claim back the cost to charge

So if you are getting a company car in the morning it is actually better to get a diesel than any other car :mad: absolutely f**king stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When I was on the road I'd often do 500km+ a day. Until they can do this range then no. Companies don't want to pay people to sit in an apple green on the side of a motor way charging their cars.

No reason why companies like An Post and the likes couldn't do it, there routes are predefined and the same every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Would be a great incentive for companies and self employed to go EV if BIK was wiped off the the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ted1 wrote: »
    When I was on the road I'd often do 500km+ a day. Until they can do this range then no. Companies don't want to pay people to sit in an apple green on the side of a motor way charging their cars.

No reason why companies like An Post and the likes couldn't do it, there routes are predefined and the same every day.

There is circa 30 people in my company that have company cars. The others like myself have moved off them due to BIK

Apart from 3, the rest of us are based in Dublin. Maybe once a month I will need to go to Cork/Belfast/Galway for XYZ. This would be pre-planned. I also have second car which I can use for these journeys

So the 27 people that are currently on company cars that should in reality be using electric cars.

We have zero electric cars at our offices. Mine will be the first in car park.

Our car park is awash with BMW 5 series and Audi A6's with large diesel engines.

If BIK was changed I would expect at least a 50% change to electric.

• Advertisement

there is a serious proposal with the Gov Task force on climate change, to remove BIK from EVs

whether it makes the next budget ( or the Gov makes it !) remains to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

BoatMad wrote: »
    there is a serious proposal with the Gov Task force on climate change, to remove BIK from EVs

whether it makes the next budget ( or the Gov makes it !) remains to be seen

If that came through, my business would definitely get a Tesla. Now I have a reason to lobby someone. Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No

Reason for this is the backwards system

I had company car.
    My company had a requirement for tax band which most diesel cars meet, so can petrol but no deduction if your car is lower than the band set
    The BIK is worked off the list price of the vehicle
    If you get a diesel you then get a diesel fuel card, so you get VAT off the diesel. Not with petrol
    From what I can see if I get an electric car there is no way to claim back the cost to charge

So if you are getting a company car in the morning it is actually better to get a diesel than any other car :mad: absolutely f**king stupid

Re:
    The more business related mileage you do the more you get off the BIK.

Re
    From what I can see if I get an electric car there is no way to claim back the cost to charge.

The only refund is on business mileage,
    mileage to and from your place of work is not allowable towards either a mileage claim or a BIK reduction claim.
    So, if there is charging on company site: happy days.
    If, for the public charging points, a billing system comes in then the company can get the e-car card.
    So what we are left with is home charging.
    So the tendency then will be not to charge at home but at the public/company charging points, and we know where that discussion went here recently:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Re:
    The more business related mileage you do the more you get off the BIK.

Re
    From what I can see if I get an electric car there is no way to claim back the cost to charge.

The only refund is on business mileage,
    mileage to and from your place of work is not allowable towards either a mileage claim or a BIK reduction claim.
    So, if there is charging on company site: happy days.
    If, for the public charging points, a billing system comes in then the company can get the e-car card.
    So what we are left with is home charging.
    So the tendency then will be not to charge at home but at the public/company charging points, and we know where that discussion went here recently:D

I don't follow your logic here at all. Right now the BIK rules allow a reduction in BIK to be applied against allowable business miles.

This is irrelevant to the issue of what fuel is used
    In the future that BIK on electric cars may be removed partially or completely if s proposal comes to fruition

The issue of compensation for electric fuel has nothing to do with where you charge , today if you are driving on the " conpany dine " you are entitled to seek compensation for such fuel to the proportion that is used for bone fide business use.

To suggest that company drivers might never chsrge at home is ridiculous , the fact is that the FCP network cannot and more importantly will not ever be a substitute for the need for home charging, Hence if EV numbers grow, the only way to manage situations is to use hone charging

Imagine explaining to your boss that you were two hours late to an important meeting simply because you cheap skated on not charging at home , were delayed two hours queuing at an fcp , even though the company is repaying a proportion of your domestic EV charging costs.

My own view is that BIK like vrt excemptions should be amount limited , otherwise it will simply a " fat cat " benefit , as executives with big car budgets but low business mileage would be huge beneficiaries whereas high mileage users would see little benefit given the current low BIK for high mileage situations

For me the key " sweet spot " would be an EV personally owned but remunerated on the civil service mileage tables. Given the costs are significantly lower the allowed remuneration is clear " money in the pocket "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I am stating the tax facts here: the op stated mileage for BIK, its not mileage it is business mileage.

As for the rest of your assumptions about my thinking: its still a democracy so.......

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

I am stating the tax facts here: the op stated mileage for BIK, its not mileage it is business mileage.

As for the rest of your assumptions about my thinking: its still a democracy so.......

I sorry it was not my intention to be rude , so if my words convey that that's my fault.

Your contention was , as I understand it , that the potential introduction say of a company EV fuel card , would tend to force users into FCPs and away from home charging is valid

My own view is that however the inherent unpredictability of the FCP network ( in advance of small numbers of mega FCPs ) will mean that early commercial adopters will simply have to use hone charging or workplace charging . Your company can quite happily reemburse you for the electricity used at home to power your car for business use ( excluding journeys to and from work as you correctly put it )

I like you no doubt am well aware of the BIK rules having been subject to them since their introduction in the 80s and from the perspectives of both employee and employer

Advertisement