Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE Strike discussion

Options
  • 24-03-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

hello

I am appealing a 3 day ban imposed one me by moderator named monument, in the BE Strike thread in the Commuting and Transport forum

below is the message I received, notifying me of the ban.

I received this message after I responded to a message from monument, where I clearly outlined my reasons for posting a reply to another poster, in the discussion in the BE Strike thread.

No clear reason was given for my 3 day ban.

monument wrote:
    Dear horseburger,

You have been banned from Commuting & Transport for three days for a breach of the forum charter.

Every forum on Boards.ie has a charter which lists any specific rules that forum may have and it is really important that you read this as it'll help you familiarise yourself with how that forum works. You should also understand that every forum is different and that charters are how you learn the differences.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

monument

Your post:
    monument wrote: »
    Forget about previous discussions and forget about getting worked up about posters not replying to points, especially when you have edited your post.

I edited a post to rephrase a sentence, but I did not deliberately edit it to change the sense of what I asked.

I asked a different poster a specific question, in relation to the new service by Dublin Coach, and later asked a follow-on question regarding that company serving the Dublin Airport and Dublin City Centre, and whether or not that company would be inclined to run a service between two towns, covering in between locations, which did not also have Dublin city centre, or Dublin Airport as a stop, on that service.

The reason I am saying that the Dublin Coach Portlaoise service, to which I referred, is a different type of service, to many that are operated by Bus Éireann, is because it has a stop at Dublin Airport and Dublin City Centre, and isn't a service connecting towns to each other, without serving Dublin, for example the Bus Éireann service connecting Drogheda to Trim.

That is why I wonder, would Dublin Coach run a service connecting the intermediate towns, between Portlaoise and Naas, without serving Dublin city centre and Dublin Airport.

http://www.dublincoach.ie/timetables-fares/N7-bus-dublin-airport-to-portlaoise.php

http://www.buseireann.ie/timetables/1472130608-190.pdf

That is a very valid question to ask, of people who are saying that Bus Éireann should be wound down, and its services taken over by other bus companies.

This is the pertinent issue, that was highlighted in the recent Meeting of the Joint Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport, on Wednesday, 22nd February 2017, where Robert Troy TD, Fianna Fail, asked Anne Graham of the NTA, a question about whether or not a company that might take over a Bus Éireann service, would continue to serve intermediate towns, on that route, and whether or not anything could be done to ensure that other companies would continue to serve intermediate towns, if they are to take over routes previously operated by Bus Éireann, that served intermediate towns.

No assurance, was given by the NTA, at this meeting on 22nd February, on this issue.

Posters, in this forum, who constantly say that Bus Éireann should collapse, and its services taken over, by other companies, never really consider this issue, in any serious way.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=34662&&CatID=127

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/committeetakes/TTJ2017022200002?opendocument#C00100

The question I asked another poster, to which devnull referred, who suggested that I had edited and changed, in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103011181&postcount=140,

is still in the post I wrote, to which devnull referred:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103011080&postcount=131

and here is the follow on question I asked:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103011152&postcount=139

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Please do not post in this thread unless invited to do so by a CMod or Admin.

Post deleted.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've looked into this for you, horseburger. Monument addressed you in that post clearly as a moderator, using bold and including the --moderator tag.

You replied to moderation, which is in breech of the forum charter. You already had a warning in the forum earlier this month and this time you got a short (3 day ban), which seems reasonable to me. Ban upheld.

If you can't accept my decision, we can ask an admin to have a look at this. Please let me know what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Well then, why didn't monument send me the warning message in bold text, as a private message, rather than posting the warning to me in the thread, where others can see the post written, if monument had a problem with me replying, in the thread, to the warning that was issued to me, which was also in the thread?

I replied, clearly, why I responded in the way that I did, to the person I was addressing, in the post to which monument objected.

Throughout the thread, ignorant and insulting comments are made about Bus Éireann workers who are engaging in strike action. They are described as frauds, and "moronic".

Some posters post ignorant, ill informed comments about the strike, and about Bus Éireann services.

For example, in some of my posts I tried to detail, how I think that many of the services, operated by private coaches, are different types of services to the routes operated by Bus Éireann.

Now, that the strike is on, some of the people who were critical of what I was saying, are now arguing that people will stick to private coaches even if Bus Éireann continues its services.

This was also suggested as a possibility on RTE TV news reports yesterday and today.

I received a warning for referring to what posters said in reply to me on previous threads. What is the problem with referring to previous discussions, where posters have argued points, where they are then contradicting themselves, in more recent discussions?

Some people, who have been critical of points I made, are now finding out that alternatives that there might be to and from particular locations, operated by other companies, are limited types of services, operated only on particular days, for a particular reason.

And some of the posters have, in previous discussions, advocated the segregation of passengers on public transport, based on their reasons for using public transport.

Now, that the strike is on they are not happy to find out that alternative companies operate services for specific reasons. This is in contrast to these same posters advocating the segregation of passengers, based on their reasons for using the services, suggesting that people have used services for "non essential journeys" and "frivolous journeys".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103027688&postcount=489

As an example, to suggest that passengers would switch to private companies, as a result of the strike, isn't much of an option to users of the 109 route, where the only other company, who does a service between Navan and Dunshaughlin and Dublin, has a last service from Dublin at 7.15pm, as opposed to Bus Éireann's 109 and 109A services providing a 24 hour service between Kells, Navan, Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne ad Dublin.

The other private company that covers Navan and Dunshaughlin and Dublin, has a far less frequent service on Saturdays and Sundays, compared to Monday-Friday, in comparison to Bus Éireann's 109 and 109A services Monday to Sunday.

That is the type of issue I was speaking about, when I was suggesting that many private coaches, operate a different type of service, to that of Bus Éireann.

Yet, despite these clear differences, some people on the forum seem to think that there'll be no significant consequences if Bus Éireann as a company, collapses, and routes are operated by private coaches instead.

None of that is relevant here. You replied to what clearly was moderation.

The charger

"Disruptive posting is not permitted. This includes (but is not limited to):

Replying to moderation in threads (see note below).

It's important to note, if you have an issue with a moderation decision, that you don't question it on-thread."

Linky

is very straight forward. You should not have replied to moderation. You got a ban for it, which I uphold, given that you already had a recent warning in the forum. If you want an admin to look into this, please let me know.

yes, please ask admin to have a look.

I basically think there was nothing wrong with the post to which the moderator objected.

The objection seemed to centre on my referencing a previous thread where the poster to whom I was replying deliberately misrepresented what I had said.

The moderator also incorrectly suggested that I edited a post to change the sense of the question that I had asked of the person to whom I was replying.

• Advertisement

I basically think there was nothing wrong with the post to which the moderator objected.

That's not the issue here, you weren't banned for that post. You got the ban for replying to the moderator on thread, which is something that's just not done on boards in general and specifically mentioned as such in the charter. If you would still like an admin to look at this issue for you, please let me know.

Well then, moderators should send warnings by private message, and not attempt to make an example of posters for the benefit of other posters, by writing warnings in the threads.

I notice that some of my posts were deleted, but the posts to which I had been responding, are not deleted.

Yes, please refer this to admin. I request this because I feel that the initial warning that I received was unwarranted, in that the objection by the moderator was, that I had made reference to posts in a previous discussion, where the person to whom I was responding in the BE Strike thread, had deliberately and smart assedly misrepresented what I had said in a previous discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi horseburger.

I have reviewed the circumstances around your ban & am upholding it. This is a clear cut case of commenting on a mod instruction on-thread. You have been on this site long enough to know that is not permitted.

If you disagree with how warnings are given in general on this site, I'd suggest discussing that in Feedback.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement