Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WC 2018 Qualifier: Ireland v Wales, 7.45pm on RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Can't see Keane kicking doors down! Hopefully he does but it's unlikely!

jesus, thank god you kopped on to that misspelling!

Duff wrote: »
    :eek:

Typo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

"He's not that type of player" in 3...2...1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Chris Coleman calling it a "British derby" was nearly as shocking as the challenge on Seamus Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Did he just say British derby? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

O'Donoghue should go through chris coleman here

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ive no idea what you are on about lol
    Hopefully who dies??
    Is Keane an avid gamer / Die hard fan?

he misspelt does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I agree, Sadlier is an excellent pundit. He failed himself tonight though in falling into the "Dunphy trap". He only frustrated himself. But he is a far better pundit than many.

He probably did a bit, though I understand how infuriating it is when someone is being so pedantic and you end up frustrated. Tbh I also liked that he shouted Dunphy down (something very few ever do) because it was clear Dunphy was wrong and arguing over the smallest of semantics.

• Best RTE after-match entertainment in some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Nah, Richie takes himself way too seriously. He was wrong about Ireland being undisciplined. That was the wrong word, Ireland were physical, not undisciplined. He needs to get things like that right.

Bias is the difference between 'physical' and 'dirty' to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Where's the jumping in with 2 foot coming from? He doesn't. It's a deserved red of course and easy decision but it's not a two footed lunge. Any other angles of it than the one they showed on tv? It's not the greatest one to be honest, that's why I'm surprised some are saying things like the 'worst tackle ever' etc. The result is absolutely appalling of course but worst tackle ever stuff is just being dramatic for the sake of it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Coleman is an arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Let's be honest- we see at least one tackle like that every week in the premiership.Coleman was unlucky that all the weight of his standing leg was on the turf.
    I am in no way defending that challenge,but any talk of the Welsh side being 'scum' or 'thugs' is hypocrisy if you're a regular viewer of the game.

That's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Essien wrote: »
    "He's not that type of player" in 3...2...1

You need to do the lotto tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Picture going around of the tackle, not sure if it's been mentioned here but is absolutely horrendous the way Coleman’s leg looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Tony o Donoghue has given harder interviews to Irish managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Let's be honest- we see at least one tackle like that every week in the premiership.Coleman was unlucky that all the weight of his standing leg was on the turf.
    I am in no way defending that challenge,but any talk of the Welsh side being 'scum' or 'thugs' is hypocrisy if you're a regular viewer of the game.

I agree you see it often but you don't do it due to the reason shown tonight. It's careless, stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Nah just ,Neil Taylor the dirtbag!!
    Rest of them played hard an fair that fcuk crossed the line

Picture going around of the tackle, not sure if it's been mentioned here but is absolutely horrendous the way Coleman’s leg looks.

Since Cisse's compound fracture in 2004 I'm inured to that sort of picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Not surprised with what Chris Coleman said, he's always going to defend his own player.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Look again, he caught Coleman's kicking leg. You had the combined force of taylor's "tackle" and Coleman's swing impacting on the bone. He'd be lucky to have avoided a compound fracture.

Coleman is an arse.

Shane or Seamus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Since Cisse's compound fracture in 2004 I'm inured to that sort of picture!

David Busst with the Sun headline 'Bussted' has made me immune to it. Schmeichel said afterwards that he was close to vomiting looking at it. Horrific injury for Seamus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We remain in a good place in the group at least.

Both us and Serbia on 11. Wales next on 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just spotted it scrolling through my facebook feed. Immediately turned from my screen in horror. It does not need to be seen or shared.

• Advertisement

• We remain in a good place in the group at least.

Both us and Serbia on 11. Wales next on 7.

It's annoying Bale misses next match though.
    Serbia favorites. I'd prefer wales win it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

This is the pic that's going around of the injury

Bale should have been sent off too.

C7t18k4W0AAIiIm.jpg

Tuesday 5th September, Aviva.

Ireland v Serbia.

Could be a huge one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Best RTE after-match entertainment in some time

I loved it when Richie muttered "jesus" under his breath, quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

R00ster wrote: »
    Look again, he caught Coleman's kicking leg. You had the combined force of taylor's "tackle" and Coleman's swing impacting on the bone. He'd be lucky to have avoided a compound fracture.
    This, I dont think people understand the force in the challenege. The fact that Coleman's right leg was swinging probably contributed greatly to the fracture. Any sort of impact to a swinging leg can lead to bad injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

C7t18k4W0AAIiIm.jpg

O'Shea was class tonight. My MoTM.

Tony o Donoghue has given harder interviews to Irish managers.
    Yep. O'Donoghue was pathetic. Chris Coleman should've been grilled there

David Busst with the Sun headline 'Bussted' has made me immune to it. Schmeichel said afterwards that he was close to vomiting looking at it. Horrific injury for Seamus.

That was a defining moment in he world of sawker injuries.

Coleman is an arse.
    Shane or Seamus?

Neither Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

naughto wrote: »
    This is the pic

That is a f!cking horrendous injury.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I thought Bale's challenge was worse and a deserved red. Very late on O'Shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

And to think he moaned that it shouldn't have been a yellow in post match interview with sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If it was anyone else on the pitch they would've been sent off, ref afraid of Bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

adox wrote: »
    That's nonsense.

So you've never seen a player of the team you support put in a challenge like that? Of course you have.

Did you immediately express your outrage and disgust at his actions?

• Advertisement

Not surprised with what Chris Coleman said, he's always going to defend his own player.
    He can defend all he likes, O'Donoghue should've given him a harder interview. O'Donoghue I've seen annoy MON and Trap before but he didn't lay a glove on Chris Coleman. Pathetic from O'Donoghue.

theteal wrote: »
    And to think he moaned that it shouldn't have been a yellow in post match interview with sky

He's right,it shouldn't have been a yellow...it should have been a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Maybe, so I will say Ireland were disciplinedly physical, and Wales in the second half resorted to reckless dirt.

well said. He is one of our own, is Didi.

https://twitter.com/DietmarHamann/status/845400186579030017

Nonsense. There is a clear difference between what Ireland were doing and how Wales reacted. Ireland's stuff was physical. Wales just lost the head, they should've been down to 9 men. Bias my ass, let's call a spade a spade here.

sugarman wrote: »
    ****e game, ****e result. They were there for the taking. I dont care what MO'N or keane were spouting all week of not playing for a draw. We were.

Yet again MO'N tactics and subs were negative and questionable, the game was crying out for a McGeady, Horgan or Hourihane from at least the 70 min mark. All 3 of which can actually take a set piece.

1 shot on target in 90mins is not good enough.

The result suits Wales more than us, they'll be delighted with a point.

While there is a lot of ball to be played, I cant help but feel this is a repeat of the last qualifying campaign with consecutive draws at home to Poland and Scotland leaving us depending on others taking points off eachother. Luckly it did, but theres no 3rd place playoff this time around so we wont be so lucky.

Onwards and upwards anyway, big improvements needed for Austria.

Oh, stop. This was almost a must win for Wales. Their campaign is all but over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Some disgraceful excuses for tackles in that game. How the fcuk can anybody go in that late and that high and claim it was accidental or they didn't mean to cause injury? Terrible stuff

Joe Allen is a very tidy little player. Had a very good game.

delaad wrote: »
    Maybe, so I will say Ireland were disciplinedly physical, and Wales in the second half resorted to reckless dirt.

I don't think entirely disagree but I think when you watch incidents in slow-mo they're different.

I don't have a problem with Long's tackle - they gave that far too much attention. Do think Whelan was lucky with the elbow/forearm on Allen.

Bale's tackle had more intent than Taylor for me and I don't think Bale wanted to break O'Shea's leg. Taylor's tackle is being largely viewed in slow-mo amd judged accordingly.

I agree with you. It was mostly reckless and out of control rather than intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Joe Allen is a very tidy little player. Had a very good game.

Should have been yellow carded too putting him out of next game.

Advertisement