Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WC 2018 Qualifier: Ireland v Wales, 7.45pm on RTE 2 & Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sideswipe wrote: »
    Should have been yellow carded too putting him out of next game.

I am on about his general play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I am on about his general play.

Could you not just bring the fact that he's dirty into it as well? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Only a right thug tackles like that. Absolute filth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So you've never seen a player of the team you support put in a challenge like that? Of course you have.

Did you immediately express your outrage and disgust at his actions?

You said you see a challenge like that every week in the premier league which is just utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Corholio wrote: »
    Where's the jumping in with 2 foot coming from? He doesn't. It's a deserved red of course and easy decision but it's not a two footed lunge. Any other angles of it than the one they showed on tv? It's not the greatest one to be honest, that's why I'm surprised some are saying things like the 'worst tackle ever' etc. The result is absolutely appalling of course but worst tackle ever stuff is just being dramatic for the sake of it imo.
    Idiotic comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I just hope that's not forgotten for the return leg in Wales. I'm not one to wish injury on any player regardless of what they've done but I sincerely hope someone puts a few massive hits on that pair of pussy *****.

I hope Serbia kick seven shades out if them physically and on the scoreline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I really thought we would win it, looks like a bad break for Coleman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Only a right thug tackles like that. Absolute filth.
    That's no way to talk about our assistant manager

Could you not just bring the fact that he's dirty into it as well? Thanks

Oh, grow up. Getting aggro because someone complimented a player. I don't even know your agenda here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Wales are a horrible side. Ramsey going up to the ref for the red with hands out looking puzzled at the decision would have been funny if the tackle hadn't done so much damage. He was 4 yards from the tackle and had the cheek to contest it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Chris Coleman out with the "Taylor's not that type of player" nonsense.

The state of Seamus Colemans leg would suggest otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Bale should have been sent off too.

C7t18k4W0AAIiIm.jpg

"He's kinda kicked me. We kinda collided. I didn't think it was a yellow to be honest but the refs done it, what can I do?"

I really like Gareth Bale, but he's having a f*cking laugh with that. That was as much a leg breaker as Taylor's tackle. O'Shea is very lucky.

Also, get well soon Seamie Coleman!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

If anyone has a link for the post match spat between Dunphy and Richie could they throw a link on here, ta.

sugarman wrote: »
    Ehh we've only reached the halfway mark of the campaign, we've all to play eachother again. How on earth is their campaign "all but over" just 4pts behind us?:rolleyes:

They'll be happy enough with a point away and now hoping to get their campaign back on track.

Wales will not be happy with a point here given how their campaign has started. They are completely on the backfoot now and very unlikely they will get a win against Serbia now. Will they be happy with another point there?

They don't meet us until the last game so they are under extreme pressure going into every game. This was probably the hardest of our games remaining until Cardiff so we go into the Summer content.

Just because the match was across the Irish sea, it doesn't make it a good result.

So roll your eyes, but 4 points is a hell of a lot at this stage, especially with our respective remaining fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Oh, grow up. Getting aggro because someone complimented a player. I don't even know your agenda here!

I was joking. No problem with you saying Allen's general play was tidy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Obviously Chris Coleman has to defend his players and whatnot but he's after coming out of the interview looking like a right príck. "Mot that type of player" comments go right out the window when the challenge is committed, and trying to deflect the questions saying Ireland were just as dirty too.

I was joking. No problem with you saying Allen's general play was tidy

fair enough! I thought you were being a smart a££!

I wouldn't necessarily say Allen is a "dirty" player anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

NukaCola wrote: »
    Wales are a horrible side. Ramsey going up to the ref for the red with hands out looking puzzled at the decision would have been funny if the tackle hadn't done so much damage. He was 4 yards from the tackle and had the cheek to contest it.

Wasn't Ramsey on the receiving end of a similar challenge a few years ago? You think he'd know better.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

If Bale was sent off like he should have been. The game would have panned out differently and Coleman wouldn't have a broken leg.

Refs need to have control of games.

McCarthy should have been booked.
    Long was close to a booking.

Ref allowed the tone of that game.

To be honest Irish football needs a change. Long ball from Randolph. It's Jack Charlton stuff. It's really poor football. Almost every other footballing nation can pass.

John O Shea for MOTM? 9 out of 10 times he booted it long. No wonder he had so much defending to do. No one makes space to relieve pressure.

Italia 90 was class. 27 years on... Time to change.
    We are not a pretty team to watch.

All the best to Coleman, or best player and by all accounts a very decent guy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Nabber wrote: »
    If Bale was sent off like he should have been. The game would have panned out differently and Coleman wouldn't have a broken leg.

To be honest Irish football needs a change. Long ball from Randolph. It's Jack Charlton stuff. It's really poor football. Almost every other footballing nation can pass.

John O Shea for MOTM? 9 out of 10 times he booted it long. No wonder he had so much defending to do. No one makes space to relieve pressure.

McCarthy wasnt playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

irishman86 wrote: »
    McCarthy wasnt playing

I'm guessing he means McClean.....

Nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Is this a troll post? McCarthy wasn't playing, injuries meant that we were down our most creative players, Wales play an attacking wing back game and have Gareth Bale (they're a good side), and O'Shea booted it forward about three times of which 2 were actually met by Walters or Long.

If we played a passing game with those player tonight we would have lost easily.

irishman86 wrote: »
    McCarthy wasnt playing

My bad I meant Whelan

McClean got MOTM

Is this a troll post? McCarthy wasn't playing, injuries meant that we were down our most creative players, Wales play an attacking wing back game and have Gareth Bale (they're a good side), and O'Shea booted it forward about three times of which 2 were actually met by Walters or Long.

If we played a passing game with those player tonight we would have lost easily.

Not trolling at all.

Even with our best players we can't keep the ball.
    We are a country blinded by green.

We play like a division 1 English team.

Wales have a hand full of players comfortable on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I agree with the referee part, he should have taken control of the game somewhere and possibly Coleman wouldn't be in the position he was in.

But, McClean was MOTM and rightly so, love a player that plays with his hear on his sleeve especially after that week.

And to your other points, we were missing arguably our three best and creative players so it was never going to be a great spectacle, we're no world beaters but play with some passion which McClean demonstrates.

Yes it's ugly but it's the hand we've been dealt, get behind rather than criticise, proud of that performance, resolute from the back and could have knicked a winner.

In a very strong position halfway through, positive results vs the Austrians would see us right, and very doable with the strongest at our disposal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Taylor has form for being a dirt bag - He broke Tadic's nose in their last game with this kick in the face

Not trolling at all.

Wales were almost as ugly to watch tonight at parts considering the quality of technical players they have up the pitch. In fact they haven't been too pretty too watch all campaign. Wales are going through a golden period in comparison to how they have fared for a few decades so give me Ireland's last thirty years over theirs, any day.

• Advertisement

Not trolling at all.

I'm sorry but if you think we can play a passing game every game we play then you're mistaken. I agree that when we have Brady and Hoolahan back that we should play a more possession and passing based game, and we will. But the reality is our players are not world beaters. Coleman is the only one playing at even near a high level. Long is bang average, as is Walters, McClean, this is how we win games. Defensively we look superb and overall we look the best we've been in 20 years.

I feel a lot more confident going into games now than I did under previous managers. I couldn't care less if we play ****e football (and it's not Jack Charlton or Trappatoni bad imo) as long as we get results.

In terms of spirit and work rate, we are second to none.

At times it feels that the work rate is a requirement of the poor decision making.

You'd expect your best team can defend, pass, be creative and score.

A weakened side you'd expect would lack creativity and possibly not score at all.
    But passing, box to box kicks. That is Sunday league stuff. Cross ins from the half way line?

I can see why some think this is trolling. So I'll leave it there.

v3ttel wrote: »
    "He's kinda kicked me. We kinda collided. I didn't think it was a yellow to be honest but the refs done it, what can I do?"

I really like Gareth Bale, but he's having a f*cking laugh with that. That was as much a leg breaker as Taylor's tackle. O'Shea is very lucky.

Also, get well soon Seamie Coleman!
    Nothing to like about Bale after that. If someone tried to take him out like that they would've got red straight way. He'll make himself a marked man with that sort of sly nonsense after committing a tackle like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Taylor has form for being a dirt bag - He broke Tadic's nose in their last game with this kick in the face

Yeah he's nowhere near the ball there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

1 goal conceded in the last 4 games is a very good record.
    Ward deserves a lot of credit, he's been excellent defensively since after the Euros.

spock. wrote: »
    1 goal conceded in the last 4 games is a very good record.
    Ward deserves a lot of credit, he's been excellent defensively since after the Euros.

I thought he was good during the qualifying campaign for that tournament too. He's a good left back, was excellent versus Germany. Never thought I'd be saying that tbh because he looked really poor initially. Has grown into a quality left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Coleman's response was disgusting, Coleman suffers a horrific injury and he comes out with "your players didn't come off wearing hailos".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm sorry but if you think we can play a passing game every game we play then you're mistaken. I agree that when we have Brady and Hoolahan back that we should play a more possession and passing based game, and we will. But the reality is our players are not world beaters. Coleman is the only one playing at even near a high level. Long is bang average, as is Walters, McClean, this is how we win games. Defensively we look superb and overall we look the best we've been in 20 years.

I feel a lot more confident going into games now than I did under previous managers. I couldn't care less if we play ****e football (and it's not Jack Charlton or Trappatoni bad imo) as long as we get results.

Have to disagree with that last bit.

This was worse than the many performances Trap got criticised for. In terms of sitting deep and letting teams advance on us.

Might have been the right call with Bale around but Trap got a crapload of results sitting deep and was roundly criticised by some who are praising the footballing side of the performance tonight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I thought that was the worst performance from an Ireland side in a long while, Wales showed fairly early on that that were poor and we still sat back and let them dictate things.

There's something very wrong when people are happy with a draw at home against Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Idiotic comment.

In what way is it idiotic? I know quick digs in post form get the likes and virtual high fives and all but some clarification would be handy for the sake of argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

For all the absolutely terrible ball control from Ireland, despite the fact that we put them under very little pressure until after the red card, and leaving aside the two appalling tackles, it was still a better game to watch than most club matches.

Why? Because there was a noticeable reduction in blatant simulation and grown men pretending to be babies.

I was originally a die hard football fan. Been more interested in rugby the last few years. I think it's because that game has retroactive action taken (both in game via TMO and afterwards for foul play). It's something that needs to radically change in football too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jayop wrote: »
    I hope Serbia kick seven shades out if them physically and on the scoreline.

A draw, or possibly a Welsh win, would be in our best interests.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

My overwhelming feeling is that it's two points dropped especially with the red card but I still think we're in pole position in the group, our two trickiest away trips are over and done with.

Georgia and Moldova will be six points and one win against either Wales, Serbia or Austria should be enough to secure second and two wins out of those three (or a win and two draws) could well see us top the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,584 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We have to stop thinking about doing just enough to get second place. This is a very winnable group and we should be aiming nothing short of winning it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Coleman's response was disgusting, Coleman suffers a horrific injury and he comes out with "your players didn't come off wearing hailos".

Where was this said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

And to your other points, we were missing arguably our three best and creative players so it was never going to be a great spectacle, we're no world beaters but play with some passion which McClean demonstrates.

He is, by a considerable margin, Ireland's worst player. His display yesterday was typical - squandering possession at will with a complete lack of awareness of proper positional play and pathetic dead ball striking. "Passion" me eye!!

In what way is it idiotic? I know quick digs in post form get the likes and virtual high fives and all but some clarification would be handy for the sake of argument.
    It appears you were trying to make out that the Welsh tackles weren't as bad as some were saying. Bale should've been redcarded first, the Taylor one may not have happened if the ref did the right thing by sending Bale off. Those two tackles were as wreckless and out of control as you're likely to see and one of them has resulted in serious injury. Maybe you like to be contrary, but your comment looks idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

chicorytip wrote: »
    He is, by a considerable margin, Ireland's worst player. His display yesterday was typical - squandering possession at will with a complete lack of awareness of proper positional play and pathetic dead ball striking. "Passion" me eye!!

Irelands worst player by a considerable margin? What are you smokin'

If it wasn't for McClean we'd be 4 points worse off, his goals have won us 2 games. :pac:

The passion I'm referring to chasing lost causes or a big hit that's perfectly legal that rises the crowd and instils confidence in the crowd, yer talking through yer a**e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It appears you were trying to make out that the Welsh tackles weren't as bad as some were saying. Bale should've been redcarded first, the Taylor one may not have happened if the ref did the right thing by sending Bale off. Those two tackles were as wreckless and out of control as you're likely to see and one of them has resulted in serious injury. Maybe you like to be contrary, but your comment looks idiotic.

Trying to make out?.....Good start there with your argument. If you read my post you'd see I said it was an easy red card. I said it wasn't two footed, that some people were saying it was. Bale could have gone for sure although personally I don't agree that it was an absolutely awful tackle, especially where on the pitch where it happened, when they were right near the Irish goal. It was mistimed and a bit reckless and I think the outrage over it is overblown, my opinion. If it was someone lesser than Bale I don't think there would be as much. Some want to contain all the tackles in one scenario that Welsh thugs came out to kick us off the pitch or something like that, which is ridiculous. On the Welsh side there was hardly anything else besides those two tackles, as awful as Taylors was.

We have different opinions, I don't think your idiotic for having yours. But hey.

Trying to make out?.....Good start there with your argument. If you read my post you'd see I said it was an easy red card. I said it wasn't two footed, that some people were saying it was. Bale could have gone for sure although personally I don't agree that it was an absolutely awful tackle, especially where on the pitch where it happened, when they were right near the Irish goal. It was mistimed and a bit reckless and I think the outrage over it is overblown, my opinion. If it was someone lesser than Bale I don't think there would be as much. Some want to contain all the tackles in one scenario that Welsh thugs came out to kick us off the pitch or something like that, which is ridiculous. On the Welsh side there was hardly anything else besides those two tackles, as awful as Taylors was.

We have different opinions, I don't think your idiotic for having yours. But hey.
    You 'think the outrage is overblown" do ya now. Bale should've been red carded. The Taylor one probably wouldn't have happened if Bale had been correctly sent off. Wales did not come to "kick us off the pitch". What happened was Ireland were physical with them without being wreckless and dangerous and the Welsh reacted poorly and cowardly in the second half with dangerous and wreckless challenges. You're not reading what happened right at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We have to stop thinking about doing just enough to get second place. This is a very winnable group and we should be aiming nothing short of winning it.

Either Spain or Italy will be in the playoffs too. So even if got second place and went through to a playoff (only some second place teams will get through) it could be all over anyway.

Need to aim for first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement