Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration of campervan import

• 24-03-2017 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a booking at local NCTS for VRT inspection and registration. The vehicle is an import from N.I. It's log book states it is a campervan. It also states it has Number of seats, including driver = 3. However, there only 2 seats. The previous owner who converted this van would have removed a seat at some point, to allow for a swivel passenger.

Could this be a sticking point with the NCTS inspection?

Their website states:
    At that test centre, the vehicle will be examined to ensure it matches the various characteristics described in the accompanying documentation for example, vehicle identification number (VIN), registration number (in the case of a used vehicle) make, model and variant, engine size, number of doors etc. If the requisite documentation is not available at the time of the examination or the vehicle details do not match the documentation, the vehicle will not be registered and a re-test fee will be payable on return with relevant documentation.

Does anyone have experience in how they might view this material change?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Hi all. I have a booking at local NCTS for VRT inspection and registration. The vehicle is an import from N.I. It's log book states it is a campervan. It also states it has Number of seats, including driver = 3. However, there only 2 seats. The previous owner who converted this van would have removed a seat at some point, to allow for a swivel passenger.

Could this be a sticking point with the NCTS inspection?

Their website states:

Does anyone have experience in how they might view this material change?

I doubt it will be a hassle every log book I've ever had is riddled with omissions and errors .

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

I hope your right. Can't think how else it could be remedied other than expensive re-installation of a third seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

We had to have imported campervan checked by engineer. Dvla form had 6 seats, but camper had 5 .Didn,t notice it before test, so had to pay for retest

Any idea how long it should take from time of NCTS inspection to notification of VRT due? Waiting over a week now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any idea how long it should take from time of NCTS inspection to notification of VRT due? Waiting over a week now.

Should get a call any day I guess. Have you tried ringing rosslare?

• Advertisement

I brought the camper down from the north. Do I need to deal with Rosslare?

I brought the camper down from the north. Do I need to deal with Rosslare?

All Motorcaravan VRT goes through Rosslare, Central Vehicle Office 053 - 9161200

VRT bill finally came in and is now cleared. It seems the whole process was delayed as the camper had previously been registered in R.O.I prior to being registered in N.I. And so now it is being registered once again in R.O.I. This seems to have put my particular case into a confusing category.

So Revenue contacted me to explain that as the vehicle was registered here in the past, that it will now receive it's original registration number and that I will not go back to the NCTS to pay the VRT. Instead I will pay the department directly. Revenue posted me the registration document with a cover note to try and explain the situation to the tax office when I go to tax it.

Problem is, the tax office couldn't seem to get their head around this. I have the UK log book that shows the previous owners name. But they keep telling me that the owners name under the vehicle registration does not match. But they are looking under the previous Irish reg. I tried to explain that the name under that reg was obviously the original owner and not the previous owner. In the end they sent me a way with an Affidavit form that must be part filled by a dealer, part filled by a justice of the peace and signed by me declaring I'm the owner. This whole thing takes weeks to be processed.

Question: For a typical straight forward import of a U.K. Vehicle, when the VRT is payed and Joe Bloggs walks in with the UK logbook and registration document to pay the motor tax, where does it show him to be the owner of the vehicle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Sorry I can't help with your question once we got the paper work form ncts it was straight forward ,

On another note I would be wondering why you had to pay VRT at all , if the van was already reged in the ROI the VRT would have been payed already there is no rebate available on VRT on exported vans , so you are been double taxed , or am I missing something ?

VRT bill finally came in and is now cleared. It seems the whole process was delayed as the camper had previously been registered in R.O.I prior to being registered in N.I. And so now it is being registered once again in R.O.I. This seems to have put my particular case into a confusing category.

So Revenue contacted me to explain that as the vehicle was registered here in the past, that it will now receive it's original registration number and that I will not go back to the NCTS to pay the VRT. Instead I will pay the department directly. Revenue posted me the registration document with a cover note to try and explain the situation to the tax office when I go to tax it.

Problem is, the tax office couldn't seem to get their head around this. I have the UK log book that shows the previous owners name. But they keep telling me that the owners name under the vehicle registration does not match. But they are looking under the previous Irish reg. I tried to explain that the name under that reg was obviously the original owner and not the previous owner. In the end they sent me a way with an Affidavit form that must be part filled by a dealer, part filled by a justice of the peace and signed by me declaring I'm the owner. This whole thing takes weeks to be processed.

Question: For a typical straight forward import of a U.K. Vehicle, when the VRT is payed and Joe Bloggs walks in with the UK logbook and registration document to pay the motor tax, where does it show him to be the owner of the vehicle?
    It cannot show you as an owner of a UK vehicle. You just show them the invoice from the seller and they take that as proof of purchase.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    It cannot show you as an owner of a UK vehicle. You just show them the invoice from the seller and they take that as proof of purchase.

So ordinarily that is all one would need to tax a campervan imported from the UK? Just the UK log book and purchase invoice. There is nothing else provided by the NCTS?

Having spoke to the chap I was dealing with at Rosslare VRT office, he assures me I should not need to do anymore other than to produce what you have said. he cannot understand why the Motor Tax Office is being so difficult about it. So I took another trip in to the tax office today (3rd attempt) and got to speak to a somewhat aggressive supervisor who told me go and get the affidavit done or we can do nothing for you.

And I can see more trouble down the line. The tax office is ONLY focussing on the original Irish reg. and don't want to know anything about the UK reg. or logbook. it is the UK logbook that shows the vehicle class as 'Motorhome'. If I jump through their hoops and do the affidavit, which will take weeks, I can see they are just going to go ahead and tax it as a van, not a camper.

This whole situation is ridiculous. The NCTS and Revenue are satisfied that I am the new owner of an imported campervan. I have paid revenue the required VRT at the campervan rate, 13.3%. The Motor Tax Office, don't care and will not see outside the box.

Can I try tax this in a different district where I might actually deal with someone more reasonable?

So ordinarily that is all one would need to tax a campervan imported from the UK? Just the UK log book and purchase invoice. There is nothing else provided by the NCTS?

Having spoke to the chap I was dealing with at Rosslare VRT office, he assures me I should not need to do anymore other than to produce what you have said. he cannot understand why the Motor Tax Office is being so difficult about it. So I took another trip in to the tax office today (3rd attempt) and got to speak to a somewhat aggressive supervisor who told me go and get the affidavit done or we can do nothing for you.

And I can see more trouble down the line. The tax office is ONLY focussing on the original Irish reg. and don't want to know anything about the UK reg. or logbook. it is the UK logbook that shows the vehicle class as 'Motorhome'. If I jump through their hoops and do the affidavit, which will take weeks, I can see they are just going to go ahead and tax it as a van, not a camper.

This whole situation is ridiculous. The NCTS and Revenue are satisfied that I am the new owner of an imported campervan. I have paid revenue the required VRT at the campervan rate, 13.3%. The Motor Tax Office, don't care and will not see outside the box.

Can I try tax this in a different district where I might actually deal with someone more reasonable?
    If you can tax this in another motor tax office they may be more reasonable than the shower you seem to have run into.
    You could always just let them tax it as a van and then go back to Shannon and say they have made a mistake and correct it then.
    Did the original V5 have the previous owners name on it?

Yes V5 has previous owner's name and 'Motorhome' classification. But the tax office are just pulling up the details on the Irish reg. and as far as they are concerned, the name stated there is the previous owner, but is actually the original owner. I don't think they really care who the previous owner is. They just consider there to be no proof that I am the current owner. They don't give a damn what Revenue and NCTS think.

The CVO at Rosslare tell me they have amended the details of the van on the 'system' to campervan classification under the Irish reg. This would have notified the transport office in Shannon but this can take a few days to update. That hopefully would solve the classification issue.

Rosslare tell me however, they cannot amend the owner details. It is the tax office who ultimately do this. I'll bet another tax office would probably have an issue too. These different bodies need to be talking together.

Sorry I can't help with your question once we got the paper work form ncts it was straight forward ,

On another note I would be wondering why you had to pay VRT at all , if the van was already reged in the ROI the VRT would have been payed already there is no rebate available on VRT on exported vans , so you are been double taxed , or am I missing something ?

I wonder if you have a valid point here. From what I discovered there are two scenarios for re-importing and registering.

(1) If a vehicle that was registered in the state, is then exported and no 'Residual VRT' is claimed, and that vehicle is later re-imported back to the state, then it is assigned its old registration number.

(2) If a vehicle registered in the state is exported and Residual VRT is claimed, and that vehicle is re-imported back to the state, it is treated as a new registration, and will receive new plates.

The first scenario applies in my case. I'm really thinking I should not have been charged VRT. I will have to look into this more once I get all other things sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I wonder if you have a valid point here. From what I discovered there are two scenarios for re-importing and registering.

(1) If a vehicle that was registered in the state, is then exported and no 'Residual VRT' is claimed, and that vehicle is later re-imported back to the state, then it is assigned its old registration number.

(2) If a vehicle registered in the state is exported and Residual VRT is claimed, and that vehicle is re-imported back to the state, it is treated as a new registration, and will receive new plates.

The first scenario applies in my case. I'm really thinking I should not have been charged VRT. I will have to look into this more once I get all other things sorted.

Maybe a call to one of the dealers near the border might shed some light on the matter, they have customers on both sides and will often see used vans switched between NI and ROI and back again as they resold on the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 goldwinger

I would think the reason why you were charged vrt is because when it was originally registered in Ireland it was a van ( not a camper) and when it came back ,it was a camper van on the ukv5 , so there is VRT due on it as it has changed body type . A van is 200 euro to register and a camper van is 13% of the open market selling price here ..

Advertisement