Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader as graphic designer

Options
  • 24-03-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,
    I'm new on this forum and i've searched a lot but a lot of my question are not answered by search option. If someone have time and willing to help me it would be awesome.

So let's start from the start I am currently stay home mom, not employed but in my free time I love to do graphic design and I do it for almost 3 years now but not in Ireland, I'm new in this country so I don't know much about laws and I really would like to make this legal as I can.

- Do I need to register sole trader on my own name or I can register on name/nickname I'm known in design world and to my clients.
    - I don't have any bank account open currently and I guess I would need to have it open as sole trader? -
    - What bank you recommend and what is easier personal or buissiness account?
    - My clients are private persons not companies they are just regular ppl :) So is there any problem about that, VAT stuff etc..
    - I do not plan to have more then 20000 EUR a year so I guess I wont cross VAT line right?
    - I would like to receive all my payments via PayPal and then transfer monthly earnings to my bank account can I do that?
    - How I count PayPal fees in that case cause I would sell my stuff via webpage (woocommerce) and also I would do a custom desings and will send invoice via PayPal for that
    - Do I need to print/save bill from every sell on website and keep it or just monthly based payment wheb I transfer to bank account?
    - I will have home office I have a separate room for it what are my rights like do I have some reliefe on tax cause I pay rent/internet/computer work related stuff.
    - Other thing is how it goes with family incomes with that I mean curretnly as unemployed we are on marriage tax if I become sole trader do I need to do something to change it to single tax income or how it's called also how my income is calculated cause maybe one month i earn 100 euros and next month 2000euros etc... what about child benefit wich we currently get how to deal with that...

I don't have much knowledge of Irish laws but I would really like to make this work and have all legal

Thank you very much, and sorry if I'm repeating questions from previous threads.

Maidia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Hi Maidia,

Can I suggest you talk to an accountant, first consultation/meeting is usually free. Do retain their services, crucial to start properly and maintain good records and returns otherwise what starts out as a small enterprise can become problematic if you don't have correct systems and processes in place.

Make Revenue your best friend, stay onside with them and you can't go wrong they are very helpful when starting up.

Good luck with your business and if you need a great printing company let me know :)

Advertisement