Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown icon in notification bar

Options
  • 24-03-2017 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Just ported to Vodafone and notice a strange new icon in the notification bar.
    Anyone know what it is and how to get rid of it? 20170324_204715.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is it the Vodafone message+ on the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

No, I have no Vodafone apps installed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Do you have SoundHound installed? SoundHound displays a similar icon on my screen, but rotated:

Fsr32ny.png

When you swipe down from the top, check the app icons that appear on the left to see if any look similar to that icon. For example, the SoundHound app icon has a similar icon as my screenshot, but with an orange circle around it.

I had soundhound installed but I uninstalled it. The icon is still there...

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

• Advertisement

Yeah, it appears that's what it is alright. I'll have a go at removing it via adb commands today. Stupid that it can't be removed more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its there to tell you that Vodafones VOLTE/WifiCalling feature is available. Annoying way to do it but a great underlying service.

You basically get HD calling as long as the other end has it too and can call with no reception once you have a wifi connection.

ED E wrote: »
    Its there to tell you that Vodafones VOLTE/WifiCalling feature is available. Annoying way to do it but a great underlying service.

You basically get HD calling as long as the other end has it too and can call with no reception once you have a wifi connection.

Presumably it wouldn't eat into your free call minute allowance either then?
    It's a pity that the other person needs to have it too.
    Most of my calls are to land lines, it would be nice if I could use something like VOLTE to avoid using my call allowance.

Is this just a trial I wonder? I have a Galaxy S7 on Vodafone but no icon like the above.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Is this just a trial I wonder? I have a Galaxy S7 on Vodafone but no icon like the above.

I read somewhere it's because the phone is rooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

This is the RCS icon. I have seen it before on other networks outside of Ireland.

Don't get too excited! It doesnt mean you get Wi-Fi calling, HD Voice or VOLTE. RCS is a service developed by the Mobile Operators to try to replicate the IM messaging services offered by Social Media such as Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp. It offers standard IM features such as Presence, Receipt notification, Group messaging, etc.

It would be great if everyone adopted it - but for now it's just another IM island, with far fewer users than any of the Social Media islands. Furthermore - Apple don't support it, as it competes with their proprietary iMessage!

I wouldnt hold my breath :-(

Advertisement