Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda refusing temporary insurance cover letter

Options
  • 24-03-2017 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all,

Last friday my main car broke down, so saturday i rang liberty and put my spare car on cover for a week until i was able to get an alternator to repair my main car, this cost me 30 euro. I got stopped in my spare car and explained to the garda why i had no insurance disc that i only have temporary cover while my car is broken down, he said i have to produce my cert.

Now my problem is because the cover was temporary i did not get a cert only a letter from liberty stating cover from saturday morning until next saturday at 4:00 pm.

I went to my local station and i brought this in and was told its unacceptable as its not a certificate with disc i explained that no insurance company will issue a disc for a temp transfer she did however make a note in the "system" that i produced the letter.

Any ideas what i should do here? The garda couldnt tell me if id get summons or not, i dont fancy getting a driving ban for failing to produce insurace / no insurance when im paying enough for it :-/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

You could try bringing your cert that shows that you are insured on your full time car and the cover note to show that you transferred it temporarily. If it does go to court you are good as you were legitimately insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

RustyNut wrote: »
    You could try bringing your cert that shows that you are insured on your full time car and the cover note to show that you transferred it temporarily. If it does go to court you are good as you were legitimately insured.

Thanks for the reply i forgot to mention that i had that with me but it was no good to them as it didnt have the reg of the temporary car on it :-/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi all,

Last friday my main car broke down, so saturday i rang liberty and put my spare car on cover for a week until i was able to get an alternator to repair my main car, this cost me 30 euro. I got stopped in my spare car and explained to the garda why i had no insurance disc that i only have temporary cover while my car is broken down, he said i have to produce my cert.

Now my problem is because the cover was temporary i did not get a cert only a letter from liberty stating cover from saturday morning until next saturday at 4:00 pm.

I went to my local station and i brought this in and was told its unacceptable as its not a certificate with disc i explained that no insurance company will issue a disc for a temp transfer she did however make a note in the "system" that i produced the letter.

Any ideas what i should do here? The garda couldnt tell me if id get summons or not, i dont fancy getting a driving ban for failing to produce insurace / no insurance when im paying enough for it :-/

123 issued me with a temp disk when I changed cars for a week this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Are you insured open on other cars or restricted.

They can be sticky and quite possible could go to court but in that case would most likely be thrown out.

Very easy for them to check with your insurance company to see if letter is genuine.

Contact the seargent in station better go in and ask to see.

Ive been with multiple insurance companys and never got a temp disc only a letter like the one i have, im not restricted to my own car but because the spare car is reg to me i had to do the transfer, id hope to sort this before it gets to the court stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Insurers don't usually issue certs for temporary alterations, there is just too much admin involved. However, they will (and are obliged to) provide documents when they are needed to be presented to Gardai. Ring your insurer and ask for same, it's a standard request

I'm presuming Liberty were happy to do a transfer on to a vehicle you also owned. Not many do

I will ring them tomorrow and explain the situation and see what they say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ive been with multiple insurance companys and never got a temp disc only a letter like the one i have, im not restricted to my own car but because the spare car is reg to me i had to do the transfer, id hope to sort this before it gets to the court stage

I think the fact that the spare car was registered to you could cause problems OP. I'm surprised the insurance company allowed temp cover and I'd imagine that's why the Guards are suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I just imported a car and it was temporarily in the country on uk reg and now on irl reg. All transferred from my original policy and each time I got an actual disc via email to self print but could have got by post.

So saying that insurers don't issue discs for temporary cover does not seem to be true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

So saying that insurers don't issue discs for temporary cover does not seem to be true.

Tbf it is true if it's a loan car from a garage certainly because I've often done this and never got a disc.

• Advertisement

Liberty told me it wasnt a problem that it was reg to me, just that while spare car on cover main car is uninsured until i call back and cancel the temp cover or saturday after 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pilly wrote: »
    I think the fact that the spare car was registered to you could cause problems OP. I'm surprised the insurance company allowed temp cover and I'd imagine that's why the Guards are suspicious.

If the insurers are aware it is absolutely no problem.

Actually, I doubt its an issue even if they aren't aware. Its a temporary transfer - not driving other cars cover which excludes other cars you own.

I drove for years in fleet cars with discs with no data about cars on them - just an insurer name and policy number - so I think you got an awkward AGS member or one who didn't know how to record anything other than "cert with reg on it"

The length of the transfer is entirely dependent on whether a new disk gets produced. Most temp transfers I've done have lasted for less than 12 hours - until this year when my insurer moved to a print at home disk; nobody was going to get you a new disk same day - same week was often hard!

Advertisement