Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New chargers thread

• 24-03-2017 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I did a quick search here and on the ecars website but couldn't find a thread about new chargers or ones about to be installed. I reckon it would be a handy resource to be able to see new chargers being added to the network over time.

To start things off: I understand there's a fast charger going in at Walsh's Car Sales (Nissan) on the Cork Road in Waterford.

Also, locally, we could really do with one on the east side of the city, be it in Ardkeen Shopping Centre, the Retail Park, or UHW. Of course I just want one within walking distance of my gaff in case I ever make the switch to an EV! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

fricatus wrote: »
    Of course I just want one within walking distance of my gaff in case I ever make the switch to an EV! :D

Jaysus lad, ya can't be saying that. There's a whole split thread about charging etiquette that's raging at the moment :pac:

On a serious note, if you want a charge point within walking distance of your gaff, you can install one outside your gaff.....ideally in your garden ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

goz83 wrote: »
    Jaysus lad, ya can't be saying that. There's a whole split thread about charging etiquette that's raging at the moment :pac:

LOL, yeah, I know... but in all seriousness it's very reassuring if you have one nearby in case your own one goes on the blink, or like in the case of someone I knew who bought an EV and depended on it for two weeks before their own charge point was installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I understand there's a fast charger going in at Walsh's Car Sales (Nissan) on the Cork Road in Waterford.

There's a rapid charger on that road already... behind the garage just after the next roundabout... they have one bay permanently blocked with a picnic table i've been meaning to tow in front of one of their pumps.... *cough* *cough*... I mean politely ask them to move for the fourth time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I did a quick search here and on the ecars website but couldn't find a thread about new chargers or ones about to be installed.

There aren't any.

The money for installations is long gone and no new installs are currently planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Anecdotally quite a few public sector employers seem to be putting them in. School near me took the leap, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

n97 mini wrote: »
    Anecdotally quite a few public sector employers seem to be putting them in. School near me took the leap, for example.

actually the take up is very slow amongst the public sector

BoatMad wrote: »
    actually the take up is very slow amongst the public sector

Not so sure about that. No private sector employer near me has them, but various educational establishments do. E.g. NUI Maynooth has three (non public).

Not so sure about that. No private sector employer near me has them, but various educational establishments do. E.g. NUI Maynooth has three (non public).

UCD has two , but schools have been very slow and only a few have some form of support for EV charging even if its just an outside plug for the granny cable

I thought NUI Maynooth's were public. I've used them before...

Around my work there are several public bodies and museums, none of which have any charging. Almost all the private employers with more than 10 employees do.
    UCD has two

I've used those too.... I really need to start paying attention...

UCD has two , but schools have been very slow and only a few have some form of support for EV charging even if its just an outside plug for the granny cable

My wife teaches in a second level school in Dublin. There are now 4 EVs (including ours) amongst the staff cars and still no CP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

goz83 wrote: »
    My wife teaches in a second level school in Dublin. There are now 4 EVs (including ours hers) amongst the staff cars and still no CP.
    :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

:)

If she uses it more........then I have a better excuse to go buy a Tesla :D

cros13 wrote: »
    I thought NUI Maynooth's were public. I've used them before...

They're not on the ecars map. Neither are UCD's.

I figured it out.. they are both on BMWs maps and marked as public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

someone I knew who bought an EV and depended on it for two weeks before their own charge point was installed.

They were doing it wrong. You need to have your free charge point installed before you buy the EV :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    They were doing it wrong. You need to have your free charge point installed before you buy the EV :pac:

+1 While in theory yes , if you are availing of the free offer , that can be hard to arrange

We had it installed beforehand because we had 6 weeks delay on the specific leaf we wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The North Campus Maynooth one is here: 53.3846615,-6.6736995 from plugshare

Is a University campus a public place? Certainly UCD does not seem to be as they have the facility to shut all vehicular entrances as well as restrict X-campus access to deter it being used as rat run.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The North Campus Maynooth one is here: 53.3846615,-6.6736995 from plugshare

Is a University campus a public place? Certainly UCD does not seem to be as they have the facility to shut all vehicular entrances as well as restrict X-campus access to deter it being used as rat run.

The chargers are in a car park accessible to the public.

The chargers are in a car park accessible to the public.

Is the car park nor just for students, staff and visitors? UCD clamped down on the public parking there (it was probably the biggest P+R in the country) with just a small amount of pay parking available to visitors. Not sure which section has the CPs in UCD tho.

cros13 wrote: »
    I figured it out.. they are both on BMWs maps and marked as public.

Neither are on the Nissan system. Hyundai anyone, for the tie breaker?

• Advertisement

Is the car park nor just for students, staff and visitors? UCD clamped down on the public parking there (it was probably the biggest P+R in the country) with just a small amount of pay parking available to visitors. Not sure which section has the CPs in UCD tho.

The staff car parks are now all permit based and inaccessible , the rest are fee based but open to public ( but almost always full )

The two chsrge points are in the small car park that normally has the short term red spaces , near the old house

Byw they are almost always innuse by staff recharging

Are you sure it's "public" parking though, and not just intended for visitors?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wish there was a FCP between navan and Cavan.
    I've to go to Cavan for 2 days on Wednesday and I'm debating whether the EV is up to it.

North Dublin to navan is fine. FCP in navan but from there to the hotel in Cavan is 94km and in a 24 kWh Leaf.....I think it's on the limit.

This is where a 30kwh would have came into its own but the funds to get a 2016 model were not there.

I'm thinking the ICE has to get used for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Surely you can do more than 94km in a 24kWh Leaf? Or do you drive a bit over the speed limit? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Assuming you would be leaving the FCP with 80% and not 100% I don't think you'd make it.

If you are willing to wait through the very slow part of the charge beyond 80% to 100% you would be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Had a nose at the planning permission submissions for the planned Topaz service stations on the M8 and M9.

The site map for J14/M8 shows an area for electric car charging, but no details other than that.

Didn't see anything in the plans for the M9 site but I could have missed something.

unkel wrote: »
    Surely you can do more than 94km in a 24kWh Leaf? Or do you drive a bit over the speed limit? :p

I'm not 100% sure tbh
    If I knew I'd make it at xxkmph then I'd just set the cruise control and be done with it but close to 100km on motorway would be very close to the limit I would imagine?
    KCross wrote: »
    Assuming you would be leaving the FCP with 80% and not 100% I don't think you'd make it.

If you are willing to wait through the very slow part of the charge beyond 80% to 100% you would be OK.

Roughly how long to get from 80% to 100%?
    I will be at 100% leaving Finglas, so should hit navan FCP with about 50ish %?

kceire wrote: »
    Roughly how long to get from 80% to 100%?
    I will be at 100% leaving Finglas, so should hit navan FCP with about 50ish %?

I've never done it on an FCP so maybe someone else will confirm but I'd say you would be looking at 30mins from 80-100%

Once you get beyond 80% in a 24kWh Leaf the charge rate drops back sharply and isn't that much faster than 32A at home!

KCross wrote: »
    I've never done it on an FCP so maybe someone else will confirm but I'd say you would be looking at 30mins from 80-100%

Once you get beyond 80% in a 24kWh Leaf the charge rate drops back sharply and isn't that much faster than 32A at home!

Think it's looking more like the ICE for this trip :(
    If I wasn't pressed to be there for 9/9.30 I'd do the Leaf and enjoy the trip and have a plan B for one of the slow chargers along the route.

I wonder would driving in B, and eco with the heater off give a better range......
    Might try an N2 trip tomorrow evening to test a motorway run.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    I wonder would driving in B, and eco with the heater off give a better range......
    Might try an N2 trip tomorrow evening to test a motorway run.

B mode won't help on motorway as you won't be using regen much.

Driving slower will make much more difference than turning off the heating.

Advertisement