Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New chargers thread

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »
    B mode won't help on motorway as you won't be using regen much.

Driving slower will make much more difference than turning off the heating.

I'm wondering now.

If I can get to 100% or very close to at the Navan FCP then,

Keeping it at 80kmph towards Cavan maybe......

But if I budget in a stop in Cavan town either in the Dublin Road or Farnham street, I know it's a slow charger but maybe the boost is enough to get me there without worrying?

I'm trying to a avoid borrowing the ICE as this will be a real test if it can do these types of runs without the missus and her 'I told you so' comments :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

kceire wrote: »
    I'm wondering now.

If I can get to 100% or very close to at the Navan FCP then,

Keeping it at 80kmph towards Cavan maybe......

But if I budget in a stop in Cavan town either in the Dublin Road or Farnham street, I know it's a slow charger but maybe the boost is enough to get me there without worrying?

I'm trying to a avoid borrowing the ICE as this will be a real test if it can do these types of runs without the missus and her 'I told you so' comments :)

If you go at 80kmh you will get more than 100km from a 24kWh Leaf from 100%.

The SCP en-route would be your plan B. You just need to ensure you have a place to plugin when you get to your destination.

Its alot of waiting at chargers though. Im in a similar situation next weekend. I can do Cork-Dublin but I cant do Cork-Limerick due to a lack of an FCP from my starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

n97 mini wrote: »
    Are you sure it's "public" parking though, and not just intended for visitors?

Jeepers mate. I am a visitor there on several occasions , The car park is " open to the public " , in that there are no restrictions , once you pay your ticket , in who parks there . whether you wander around UCD or get a bus , its irevelant.

The chargers are in that carpak, two spaces

I wish there was a FCP between navan and Cavan.
    I've to go to Cavan for 2 days on Wednesday and I'm debating whether the EV is up to it.

North Dublin to navan is fine. FCP in navan but from there to the hotel in Cavan is 94km and in a 24 kWh Leaf.....I think it's on the limit.

This is where a 30kwh would have came into its own but the funds to get a 2016 model were not there.

I'm thinking the ICE has to get used for this.

The alternative I did , was Castlebellingham Cavan , which is about 80 km, ecars realise the N2 is a bit of a wasteland, They ran out of money before they could fix it

Assuming you would be leaving the FCP with 80% and not 100% I don't think you'd make it.

If you are willing to wait through the very slow part of the charge beyond 80% to 100% you would be OK.

Interesting , ( thread drift ) , I notice especially at DBTs and some EFace , the 30 kWh can have very high charge rates after 80% , I was charging at Nissan Parkwest and at 89% , the Amp reading was 52A which is 20.8 kW !

• Advertisement

If you go at 80kmh you will get more than 100km from a 24kWh Leaf from 100%.

The SCP en-route would be your plan B. You just need to ensure you have a place to plugin when you get to your destination.

Its alot of waiting at chargers though. Im in a similar situation next weekend. I can do Cork-Dublin but I cant do Cork-Limerick due to a lack of an FCP from my starting point.

I think I may try it and judge if I need to stop at Cavan or not closer to the point.
    The hotel has a SCP where the conference is on (Slieve Russel in ballyconnell) and I may call before hand to see if the spot can be reserved.

I am staying in a B&B 4km before the hotel so I'll also have to ask if I can granny charge there if I have no access to the SCP.

BoatMad wrote: »
    The alternative I did , was Castlebellingham Cavan , which is about 80 km, ecars realise the N2 is a bit of a wasteland, They ran out of money before they could fix it

There's an EV route planner that I tried and it suggested this route. Up M1c and out by Monaghan to avail of the FCP's on route.

I think I may try it and judge if I need to stop at Cavan or not closer to the point.
    The hotel has a SCP where the conference is on (Slieve Russel in ballyconnell) and I may call before hand to see if the spot can be reserved.

I am staying in a B&B 4km before the hotel so I'll also have to ask if I can granny charge there if I have no access to the SCP.

There's an EV route planner that I tried and it suggested this route. Up M1c and out by Monaghan to avail of the FCP's on route.

well Castlebellingham FCP to Cavan should be well within the range of the 24 kWh Leaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Isnt that a good bit beyond Cavan so that's going to be harder to achieve even via Castlebellingham!?

I think you'll have to use the FCP's and at least one SCP to make that trip regardless of which route you take.

That part of the country is really lacking FCP support.

Isnt that a good bit beyond Cavan so that's going to be harder to achieve even via Castlebellingham!?

I think you'll have to use the FCP's and at least one SCP to make that trip regardless of which route you take.

the Op neglected that bit . :confused:

well Castlebellingham FCP to Cavan should be well within the range of the 24 kWh Leaf

Google maps put it at 110+ km

Yes I think I'd be safer going the navan route. Navan FCP to slieve russel car park is 94km and Navan FCP to Cavan is 71km which is deffo doable if I'm running low.

I'll just allow plenty of time and treat it like an adventure :)

• Advertisement

I have driven twice Leixlip->Monaghan rapid on the old N3 via Navan, Kingscourt without charging on a 24 kWh Leaf. Just go with the flow of the road and try to cruise using two power dots only. Don't use the cruise control but let the speed vary a bit going up/downhills.

The key on successfully driving the leaf is to avoid the motorways at all cost. :-)

The key on successfully driving the leaf is to avoid the motorways at all cost. :-)

well just drive at 100 kmph or less on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

well just drive at 100 kmph or less on them

I found cruising at 90 worked quite well.

goz83 wrote: »
    I found cruising at 90 worked quite well.

yes indeed , I travelled park west to Wexford town ( circa 150 km) by driving at 95kmph, left parkwest on 88% , ( 30 kWh) , arrived Cresent quay wexford m with 15% ( 28 km ) left. average speed 95 km/h. I find the M11 hills to Gorey consume 30Km of range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,162 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

yes indeed , I travelled park west to Wexford town ( circa 150 km) by driving at 95kmph, left parkwest on 88% , ( 30 kWh) , arrived Cresent quay wexford m with 15% ( 28 km ) left. average speed 95 km/h. I find the M11 hills to Gorey consume 30Km of range

That M11 I find drains range in my 24 kWh. Generally I use cruise control on motorways at 100km/h. But I have a semi regular drive to near Ferns, and the m/n11 is not very economical in either direction. So I am forced to drive at 90

It's like the m3 from the toll booth to junction 7, the range just seems to drop.

ELM327 wrote: »
    That M11 I find drains range in my 24 kWh. Generally I use cruise control on motorways at 100km/h. But I have a semi regular drive to near Ferns, and the m/n11 is not very economical in either direction. So I am forced to drive at 90

It's like the m3 from the toll booth to junction 7, the range just seems to drop.

yes

substantial climbs heading south

Bray south
    KIlmacanogue
    greystones South
    wicklow summit
    avoca river to beyond Arklow south

the only substantial gain , is the hill after wicklow summit

Advertisement