Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

like the value of this btwin carbon bike,but

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

seanin4711 wrote: »
    https://www.btwin.com/en/road-bikes/sport-road-bikes/20150-triban-560-carbon-frame-road-bike.html

799gbp = 922euro

until i see the irish version of the same thing

https://www.decathlon.ie/triban-560-carbon-frame-road-bike-en-s164931.html

almost 150€ more for the same thing.
    any wonder i would be going north!

Why put Tiagra on a carbon frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ted1 wrote: »
    Why put Tiagra on a carbon frame?

Why not the new tiagra is basically the same as 5700 105.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

seanin4711 wrote: »

almost 150€ more for the same thing.
    any wonder i would be going north!
    T'was ever thus...

May still be an element of the Brexit impact in the pricing (sterling has devalued around 15% since the decision last June). There's also the VAT differential. The Decathlon price to the UK is the same £799

In addition you need to accept Ireland is a small market with additional costs for distributing goods. NI prices are likely to be subsidised as they could not charge different prices within the UK, but would face similar additional costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Beasty wrote: »
    T'was ever thus...

May still be an element of the Brexit impact in the pricing (sterling has devalued around 15% since the decision last June). There's also the VAT differential. The Decathlon price to the UK is the same £799

In addition you need to accept Ireland is a small market with additional costs for distributing goods. NI prices are likely to be subsidised as they could not charge different prices within the UK, but would face similar additional costs.

Impact of Brexit only. There is no subsidy on anything to NI or Highlands and Islands. Those that sell in UK have to have single county pricing. Those in highly populated areas may be deemed to subsidise remote areas but it's all wrapped up in in P&L sheet.

Pricing is set in France for all outlets and it would have been set pre-devaluation occurred. What is the price in EUR for France or Germany? I would suggest it's the same or nearly the same as Ireland's EUR price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    What is the price in EUR for France or Germany? I would suggest it's the same or nearly the same as Ireland's EUR price.
    that particular model is not listed on the decathlon.fr website, but the triban 520 is; pricing is:
    btwin website: STG£400
    decathlon.fr: €500
    decathlon.ie: €531
    decathlon.uk: STG£400 (claimed reduction from STG£450)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Looks a decent value bike to me. Comes with pedals and lights as well.

OP, bit of a trek from Loughrea to Belfast. Something to factor in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Looks a decent value bike to me. Comes with pedals and lights as well.

OP, bit of a trek from Loughrea to Belfast. Something to factor in.

dpd parcel wizard baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

that particular model is not listed on the decathlon.fr website, but the triban 520 is; pricing is:

uk/ie websites only available

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

AS someone else said, it's not even on the French site, but it's on some of their other sites and priced differently. They probably price against local market rather than have a one shop for all model.

I've bought online from the UK shop 2 or 3 times but never the Irish one as the price difference is quite something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would guess that the irish site is simply operated from the decathlon up north? would seem the easiest way of doing it?
    or am i wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Speaking to someone in the shop in Belfast I was told the Irish site is operated from the central U.K warehouse, don't think that the store has anything to do with it. Indeed any time I have ordered something for delivery in Belfast it will have come from the mainland UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

If you figure out that about half the difference in the IE and FR prices are taken up by VAT differences (23% vs 20%) they're pretty comparable, considering the logistics in getting the bike over here. The sterling price is pretty attractive though, they're cracking bikes for the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

clog wrote: »
    Speaking to someone in the shop in Belfast I was told the Irish site is operated from the central U.K warehouse, don't think that the store has anything to do with it. Indeed any time I have ordered something for delivery in Belfast it will have come from the mainland UK.

comes from ipswich i think. can never understand how they havent opened a store down here yet. some of there stores in europe arent huge in floor space but still carry a decent selection of sports gear, bikes, shoes and equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Why not the new tiagra is basically the same as 5700 105.

It's considerably better than 5700 which is clunky and unrefined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's considerably better than 5700 which is clunky and unrefined.

I would hardly call 5700 clunky and unrefined.

Either way you're only reinforcing what I was already saying.

Advertisement