Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saris Bone Solo

Options
  • 25-03-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one of these but I'm reading mixed reviews about it, has anyone got one of these and what is your opinion on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

granda wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these but I'm reading mixed reviews about it, has anyone got one of these and what is your opinion on it?

Looked seriously at it a few years ago read all the reviews etc. etc. As far as I can recall, it is similar in construction and design to the Saris Bones 2 and 3, without the anti-sway side straps and obviously with only two hold-downs and possibly shorter arms. I purchased a Saris Bones 2 for that reason. I do not know if the lack of anti-sway straps would make the carrier less stable but I would imagine it could be prone to a slight sway or movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

I have one and it's not bad. Saris are a reputable brand and I just wanted something cheap & simple (as in 'not too fiddly!) for occasional use. .

Pros:
    • Good value
    • Easy and really quick to fit
    • Small & compact when not in use (I leave it in the boot of the car in case I ever need to be rescued)
    • Holds the bike securely (as in, I don't feel the bike will fall of the rack)
    • Rack with bike doesn't really obscure the number plate or lights (or rear visibility)
    • Works fine with both my road bike and my hard-tail MTB
    Cons:
    • Can be difficult to tension the lower straps satisfactorily (it won't fall off but allows too much sway if you don't get it right)
    • The 2 bottom feet may move a little in transit and could mark your paintwork so make sure the area they sit on is clean of dirt and maybe put a piece of material under them for protection
    • I always have a fear that the rack will fall off the car (as opposed to the bike falling off the rack). This is more to do with how the top straps attach to the top of the tailgate of my car which has a small spoiler which I dread will fall off (this says more about my paranoia and probably never will but I love my bikes more then I'll ever love the car!)
    • The bike sits quite close to the car so, depending on the bike and the model of car and the way the bike sits, the pedal may rub the paintwork. I have a pair of thick socks that I slip over the pedal for protection
    • The front wheel moves around so I have an extra strap that I use to secure it to the frame. That should really be included with the rack IMO but you can fashion one quite easily.
    I picked my one up in Halfords with a gift voucher I had - think it was about €45 at the time. I'm using mine on a SEAT Ibiza hatchback by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have the Bones 2 and find it really good. One thing I do that would apply to a bones 1 as well is I put a small piece of cut up old inner tube between each of the metal feet and the car paintwork. It makes fitting the rack a little more fiddly, but protects the paint on the car.
    TBH I don't do it now as I'm driving a 800 euro heap (value of bike must exceed the car it's on - or something like that in the rules..)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

granda wrote: »

I have one, it lives in my car, got my bike to and from the ROK last year, easy to use, it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

I have the Thule raceway, very good worth a look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

Thanks for all the replies, think i might go with Bone for 2 bikes, it seems to have better reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

+1 for the bones 2. I have mine 8+ years and use it constantly. Best feature is that folds up so small that you can store easily.

If you win the lottery check out the new 'SuperBones'!

Advertisement