Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants / HAP / 100% Interest Relief

Options
  • 25-03-2017 10:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Full disclosure, I'm the landlord.
    I have tenants commencing on 1st May in one of my houses.
    They are going through the HAP process as they have already been approved.
    I have no problem with this and all is ok.

Is there something I can do to claim 100% interest relief for social tenants?
    I thought I read something about it in a recent budget?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

kceire wrote: »
    Full disclosure, I'm the landlord.
    I have tenants commencing on 1st May in one of my houses.
    They are going through the HAP process as they have already been approved.
    I have no problem with this and all is ok.

Is there something I can do to claim 100% interest relief for social tenants?
    I thought I read something about it in a recent budget?

Thanks.

This is what you are looking for "Interest on Borrowings"
    "From 1 January 2016, a 100% interest deduction is allowable in respect of residential property which is let for a period of 3 years to a tenant or tenants in receipt of certain social housing supports."

You can use 100% of the interest as an expenditure against your rental income otherwise is 75% only

IHTH

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Remember you must commit to taking hap tenants for 3 years to avail of 100% interest relief.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tanit wrote: »
    This is what you are looking for "Interest on Borrowings"
    "From 1 January 2016, a 100% interest deduction is allowable in respect of residential property which is let for a period of 3 years to a tenant or tenants in receipt of certain social housing supports."

You can use 100% of the interest as an expenditure against your rental income otherwise is 75% only

IHTH

Cheers. Although I think the relief had rise to 80% for normal tenancies for 2017.
    Remember you must commit to taking hap tenants for 3 years to avail of 100% interest relief.

Cheers also. I am doin a house swap and I've had these tenants for 2 years already in another house so I've no problem signing them up for 3 years again.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

You will need to fill out the RTB's Declaration of Undertaking Form to register your intention and can only claim the 100% relief at the end of the 3 year period.

http://www.rtb.ie/landlords/helpful-info-documents/declaration-of-undertaking-form

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Nice heads up folks, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement