If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new TV - confused about what to get / what I need

Options
  • 25-03-2017 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I currently have an old big back tv and need to get a new one. The current set up is that I have an Ariva set-top box that does Soarview and also allows me to access the UK Channels. I have an aerial and a satellite dish but not sky (and not planning on getting it). With the new tv I want to continue to be able to get the UK channels. Due to space I am looking at 40 - 43inches max. I would also like it to have Smart capabilities (netflix etc) and to able to cast things from my laptop to the tv. I think I need a tv with FreeView? Will I still need the Ariva set top box or not? Any recommendations and clarification as to what I need & the best way to set it up would be great :)

Thanks,
    Mel.b

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

mel.b wrote: »
    I currently have an old big back tv and need to get a new one. The current set up is that I have an Ariva set-top box that does Soarview and also allows me to access the UK Channels. I have an aerial and a satellite dish but not sky (and not planning on getting it). With the new tv I want to continue to be able to get the UK channels. Due to space I am looking at 40 - 43inches max. I would also like it to have Smart capabilities (netflix etc) and to able to cast things from my laptop to the tv. I think I need a tv with FreeView? Will I still need the Ariva set top box or not? Any recommendations and clarification as to what I need & the best way to set it up would be great :)

Thanks,
    Mel.b
    Hi Mel.b

It should be no problem getting what you require in a TV. Most TV's now are smart anyway.

In terms of getting UK stations. This can not be done via the freeview tuner onboard as it will only work in the UK or if you are perhaps close to teh boarder and get some over spill. You will be able to pick up the Saorview startion.
    In saying that if you purchased a TV with a freesat tuner then you could connect this to your SKY dish and get the Uk stations this way. There are very very very few screens with freesat tuners and they tend to be the higher up the range ones.

You can still use your Ariva box to get the UK stations.

Now for selecting a TV in really depends on your budget and if you want 1080P or a 4K panel.

One of our most popular 40" screens would be the Samsung UE40KU6400 priced at £469.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202131-ue40ku6400.aspx

Lg have the 43UH603 coming in at £399.99
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202276-43quot-4k-smart-tv.aspx

Panasonic offer up the 40DX600 priced at £449.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201943-viera-tx40dx600b.aspx

Or the 40DX700 priced at £569.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201897-viera-tx40dx700b.aspx

All of the above comes with our 6 year guarantee free of charge. Delivery would be £6.99

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks so much, I ordered the Samsung this morning:)

Thanks so much, I ordered the Samsung this morning:)
    No problem, I believe one of my colleagues is looking after this order for you. If you need anything else please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

David

My Tv arrived today, thanks so much :) i won't know myself now!

Just a question, i selected freesat as the option and used a uk postcode and now have all the uk channels without using my arivia box which is great. Can i also now tune in the irish channels and have them all together or not? If so, do you know how i do this? I have the aerial connection plugged into the back of the tv as well as the satellite connection.

Just a question, i selected freesat as the option and used a uk postcode and now have all the uk channels without using my arivia  box which is great. Can i also now tune in the irish channels and have them all together or not?  If so, do you know how i do this? I have the aerial connection plugged into the back of the tv as well as the satellite connection.
    Hi Mel.b.

The Samsung can pick up both Saorview and Freesat but not at the same time as it only has one tuner.

To get the Irish station if Freesat is tuned in you would need to retune the set to the Freeview stations and then back again if wanting the UK stations.

Easiest thing would be to keep the Arivia for the UK stations and use the TV for the Irish ones.

Any questions please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi Kenny,

You have a PM from me.

Cheers,

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Hi Kenny,

You have a PM from me.

Cheers,

Ritz.
    Hey Ritz.

Just checked and don't see one?

Did you sent it today?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Just sent there...

Cheers,

S.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Just sent there...

Cheers,

S.
    Cheers Ritz.

Just a question, i selected freesat as the option and used a uk postcode and now have all the uk channels without using my arivia  box which is great. Can i also now tune in the irish channels and have them all together or not?  If so, do you know how i do this? I have the aerial connection plugged into the back of the tv as well as the satellite connection.
    Hi Mel.b.

The Samsung can pick up both Saorview and Freesat but not at the same time as it only has one tuner.

To get the Irish station if Freesat is tuned in you would need to retune the set to the Freeview stations and then back again if wanting the UK stations.

Easiest thing would be to keep the Arivia for the UK stations and use the TV for the Irish ones.

Thanks Kenny.

I think I'll just leave it as it is then and use the player for RTE - I  rarely watch it as it is.

• Advertisement

Hi Mel.b.

Thanks Kenny.

I think I'll just leave it as it is then and use the player for RTE - I  rarely watch it as it is.
    No problem at all Mel.b

If you come across any other questions just drop me a post.

Hi,

Sorry for digging up an old post. I'm having trouble getting the Smart view to cast to the Tv from the laptop.

It was working fine, but then I was having some trouble with my internet connection and vodafone had to do something and they renamed my internet connection and I got a new password etc. I am connected to the wifi with the new connection on the tv as I can connect to netflix etc and obviously the laptop is also on this new connection.

When I open up the smart view app on the laptop (windows 10), it opens up and I can see that it has selected the tv. However when I try to play anything, the icon just goes round and round in circles and it never shows on the tv. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app but it has made no difference.

The app works fine on my iphone connecting to the tv.

I can't remember, but when you press the home button and the sources come up, at the moment I have the TV and HDMI 1/DVI showing (which is the chromecast). Is the laptop meant to come up there as well? I have also tried unplugging the chromecast but that has made no difference.

Any help would be great if you have any ideas,
    Cheers,
    Mel.b

Hi,

Sorry for digging up an old post. I'm having trouble getting the Smart view to cast to the Tv from the laptop.

It was working fine, but then I was having some trouble with my internet connection and vodafone had to do something and they renamed my internet connection and I got a new password etc. I am connected to the wifi with the new connection on the tv as I can connect to netflix etc and obviously the laptop is also on this new connection.

When I open up the smart view app on the laptop (windows 10), it opens up and I can see that it has selected the tv. However when I try to play anything, the icon just goes round and round in circles and it never shows on the tv. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app but it has made no difference.

I can't remember, but when you press the home button and the sources come up, at the moment I have the TV and HDMI 1/DVI showing (which is the chromecast). Is the laptop meant to come up there as well? I have also tried unplugging the chromecast but that has made no difference.

Cheers,
    Mel.b
    Hi Mel.b,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. That is strange, it sounds as though some settings have been changed which is making the Samsung not see it. The best thing to do is to call Samsungs tech support. The number below is specifically for our customers and they are usually able to remote access your TV or talk you through settings:

0330 726 7424

Let me know how you get on with this and if you are still having issues please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

David

Hi,

Cheers,
    Mel.b
    Hi Mel.b,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. That is strange, it sounds as though some settings have been changed which is making the Samsung not see it. The best thing to do is to call Samsungs tech support. The number below is specifically for our customers and they are usually able to remote access your TV or talk you through settings:

0330 726 7424

Let me know how you get on with this and if you are still having issues please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

I called them and have had no luck. They said the tv is working fine and smart view is working fine from other devices (ie my phone) so therefore I need to contact my laptop company! I know Dell will just laugh at me  if I call them. Do you know of any other settings I can look at or try to change? I'm going to try deleting the app and reinstalling it again.

Thanks,
    Mel

Phew, got it working :D

Reinstalling the app didn't make any difference. In the end I went into the internet settings and there was one 'make this computer discoverable'. It was turned off, so I turned it on and then tried the smart view again and it worked immediately. Hopefully that might help someone else if they come across the same problem in the future.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Phew, got it working :D

Reinstalling the app didn't make any difference. In the end I went into the internet settings and there was one 'make this computer discoverable'. It was turned off, so I turned it on and then tried the smart view again and it worked immediately. Hopefully that might help someone else if they come across the same problem in the future.
    Hi Mel.B,

thanks a million for the update and great news!

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can ever assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.