Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomatillos

Options
  • 25-03-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi. I bought some tomatillos seeds. I've a few plants 🌱 at about this size (see photo). What do you do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

Gangu wrote: »
    Hi. I bought some tomatillos seeds. I've a few plants 🌱 at about this size (see photo). What do you do next?

I'm thinking of putting each plant into a new pot and starting to stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is from here

You have bought a greenhouse vegetable really, not to say it can't thrive outside but it could be a struggle in Ireland.
    GROWING NOTES

Tomatillos require a long growing season, and are best started indoors 6 weeks before the anticipated transplanting date (after the final frost of the spring). For best results, sow seeds 1/4" deep in a well-drained, soil-less starting mix. Seeds require warm soil between roughly 70-80 degrees F. Warmer soils will promote faster germination. Keep soil moist, but not soggy while awaiting germination. Moderate watering slightly once seedlings break through the soil. Transplant to a well-drained location that receives lots of sunlight after the last frost. Tomatilloes are sensitive to cold and frost, so be cautious not to transplant too early.

SOIL & GROWING NEEDS

Tomatillos plants prefer well-drained soil of average fertility or less. It can tolerate slightly acidic soils, and is most productive with pH 6.0 to 7.0. Tomatillo is not a heavy feeder, and should not require fertilizing. They need at least 8 hours of direct sun daily, and will develop faster with increased exposure. If possible, grow on a slight slope with southern or southeastern exposure.

MAINTAINING

Tomatillos are easy to maintain. They are rangy and should not need to be caged, and do not require rich soil or fertilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

This is from here

You have bought a greenhouse vegetable really, not to say it can't thrive outside but it could be a struggle in Ireland.

Thanks. I'll keep them in for a while. Will put them out end of May and see what happens. Thanks Harry. I struggled to find anything.

Advertisement