Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tours to Skellig Michael in early May

Options
  • 25-03-2017 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Any recommendations for an American relative who is visiting in early May and wants to book a tour to Skellig Michael. I have heard some mixed reviews and stories of people making bookings which ended up being cancelled close to the time (perhaps due to weather). Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Any recommendations for an American relative who is visiting in early May and wants to book a tour to Skellig Michael. I have heard some mixed reviews and stories of people making bookings which ended up being cancelled close to the time (perhaps due to weather). Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.

You'd be lucky if there are any spots remaining.

It was always popular but the Star Wars crowd has made it ridiculous.

Very advanced booking is required. Some luck with weather also.... quite a swell at the landing pier if the weather is bad

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Rodin wrote: »
    You'd be lucky if there are any spots remaining.

It was always popular but the Star Wars crowd has made it ridiculous.

Very advanced booking is required. Some luck with weather also.... quite a swell at the landing pier if the weather is bad

Thank you. I know they intend staying in the area for several days to increase their chances of getting out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Thank you. I know they intend staying in the area for several days to increase their chances of getting out there.

If I were them Id book two trips with a full days seperation between them to maximise chances of a landing.Simply cancel the one that isn't required.

If they can't get out to the Skellig tell them to go to great Blasket instead if the weather is good. A beautiful place and the best beach in Ireland.

Rodin wrote: »
    If I were them Id book two trips with a full days seperation between them to maximise chances of a landing.Simply cancel the one that isn't required.

If they can't get out to the Skellig tell them to go to great Blasket instead if the weather is good. A beautiful place and the best beach in Ireland.

Thanks for the advice. They have been to the area before and one of their main reasons for coming to Ireland this time is to go to Skellig Michael as they missed out the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

Thanks for the advice. They have been to the area before and one of their main reasons for coming to Ireland this time is to go to Skellig Michael as they missed out the last time.

Not sure of the start date, but usually around 15th May. Ring any of the lads (boatmen) and they will let you know. Very, very weather and sea condition dependent, not uncommon to go a week without landings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Any recommendations for an American relative who is visiting in early May and wants to book a tour to Skellig Michael.

Boats are booked out till mid-Aug but they might get a cancellation. Phone now and ask about the waiting list, don't wait till they arrive. The only reason it will be cancelled is bad weather - if the boatman thinks that a landing is not possible he won't leave harbour.

Thanks for all the helpful information.

Advertisement