Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Dublin SPCA with 18 month old - any reviews

Options
  • 25-03-2017 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I saw here that the Dublin SPCA is open to visitors and we are considering taking our 18 month old there.

http://www.familyfun.ie/dublin-spca/

Does anyone know if it's worthwile? I wouldn't want him to get in touch with sick animals, though I can read they are held separately, nor only see animals in cages. I do understand this is not a zoo or pet farm but cannot find any reviews of parents that have gone there as a day out. Our toddler LOVES animals and also enjoyed the Natural History Museum.

Any feedback would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 justinmg1

Hi op, i had a look at the link you posted and although public are welcome the website states that the varios secions are on view to the public. My gut would tell me that this is not intended as a"family day out" per say but a way of opening a facility to educate the public on the struggles of animal welfare. My thinking is it is not going to be a senario where you you will visit animals of all kinds wandering freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Gosh OP we go the whole time!!! A good once a month tbh.
    Myself and husband before any babies would regularly go to Ashton pound and walk dogs and fostered pups too. We have dogs ourself so our toddler is used to dogs and noise levels. I wouldn't bring my son to an actual pound now tbh the smell etc.

My son loves going up to dspca! We go up on a Sunday morning ish. It's not open on bank hol weekends. We have a look in shop first then go and look at chickens and goats etc, then into see cats and then dogs etc! We read the animal profiles. You won't be touching animals anyway!! The dogs up for rehoining are in their rooms now you may see poo in there!!! I don't know if that would put you off? My guy will point it out but doesn't bother him!

You don't get long out of it now it's not like the zoo or anything!!! We spend maybe 30-45 mins.

Hi op and @ millem, i didnt meant to sound harsh in my previois post. I have worked with many over the years and didnt want you (op) to leave with a negative feeling. Truth is, so many animal welfare charities are looking at ways to self support as they get little or nothing elsewhere. Hense the openinhg their doors.... and if faith allows a new member of a family is welcomed. Thats the truth. Op if you purely want to visit for the opion of your wee one seeing animals go to the zoo. Your choice

Justinmag people buy things in shop too though. We always do....whether it be off our dogs or a present for a human who is an animal lover.

Completely inderstand that @millem bit thats just a portion of it. As you mentioned for the smaller charities them allowig you to bring a dog for a walk in a vordoned area is time for a staff member do do othwr work.

• Advertisement

@op, without sounding cruel but your wee one will not understand. My opion if you may allow me.... go and look. After thathope our family grows a little, hehe :)

justinmg1 wrote: »
    Completely inderstand that @millem bit thats just a portion of it. As you mentioned for the smaller charities them allowig you to bring a dog for a walk in a vordoned area is time for a staff member do do othwr work.

I don't see what the problem is for people to visit? It raises awareness. Even if you go up and see a sign about wills someone might go home and add dspca to their will etc.
    I am not a cat person at all. After seeing the cats there my mind has changed (a little) if I ever wanted a cat I would get one from dspca. I never knew they even had them!!!!
    Dspca have books when you go in that you can donate too or give a few euro for. They have kids books that some people might buy.

I have volunteered with 5 animal charities over the years....sometimes standing on Henry street with buckets and dogs, sometimes transporting sometimes fostering. A lot of people would come up and chat even though they didn't want to rehome an animal. They were all do generous with donations when they heard about charities. It raises awareness. Same goes when I collected for guidedogs for the blind etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'm not sure about dspca but I have visited dogs trust in the past (we were going to look for a dog but had not informed them) they dogs are in their housing units and afaik don't interact with you unless you are a volunteer or are seriously considering adopting them.

Without being bad but this is rurning oit to be a converstion aboit animal welfare. The op askes for an opinion. Can we please stick to that

justinmg1 wrote: »
    Without being bad but this is rurning oit to be a converstion aboit animal welfare. The op askes for an opinion. Can we please stick to that

I replied to your message when you said " Op if you purely want to visit for the opion of your wee one seeing animals go to the zoo. Your choice".

There is nothing wrong with people going to dspca with your kids to see their animals wether they want to adopt or not.
    As I have said previously we go up regularly. I am sure dspca are delighted with the visitors as I said before it raises awareness for them and could generate income.

Must go up this weekend ;)

• Advertisement

Op unless your 18 month old is spayed and neutered they won't take her. I took mine down and they were all like 'ooh you can't donate a kid' and 'why do you have a traffic cone on your head' bunch of crazies if you ask me

Advertisement