Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair

Options
  • 25-03-2017 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get my laptop repaired, drogheda area would be the handiest. Thanks.ðŸ˜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

whats the issue with the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    whats the issue with the machine?
    I hadn't used it for a while and when I switched it on it went off after about 20 seconds. It won't come on now at all , I have it plugged in but there's no light on.

unplug
    remove battery
    hold down the power button for 45 seconds
    plug back in
    press power button.

Don't put the battery in until it starts up on the power. Hopefully that' saved ya 50 quid

unplug
    remove battery
    hold down the power button for 45 seconds
    plug back in
    press power button.

Don't put the battery in until it starts up on the power. Hopefully that' saved ya 50 quid

Thanks for that I did try it but only held button down for 20 seconds so I'll try 45 when I get home. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

No joy I'm afraid but thanks for the advice ssmith6287..... Can you recommend anyone who does repairs ?

• Advertisement

2 more things to try. 1st. is the charger pin tight in the laptop or does it wobble? if its very loose then depending on brand it can be a simple fix. I would recommend image. they will be more expensive but theyre reliable. 2nd. on the charger where the kettle lead is connected to the block. make sure its plugged in. disconnect them then hold up to your ear and connect them. you should hear a pop when the electricity bridges. if theres no pop then its most likely a charger or even a fuse that's needed. if there is a pop then chances are there is a motherboard issue. the cost to repair is most likely going to be higher then a new laptop.

2 more things to try. 1st. is the charger pin tight in the laptop or does it wobble? if its very loose then depending on brand it can be a simple fix. I would recommend image. they will be more expensive but theyre reliable. 2nd. on the charger where the kettle lead is connected to the block. make sure its plugged in. disconnect them then hold up to your ear and connect them. you should hear a pop when the electricity bridges. if theres no pop then its most likely a charger or even a fuse that's needed. if there is a pop then chances are there is a motherboard issue. the cost to repair is most likely going to be higher then a new laptop.
    Thanks for that, I'll try tonight. I appreciate your help. 😆

I was in the business of repairing computers for years. unfortunately the "repairests" on west street had bigger marketing budgets but they were scam artists. So I hate to see people go to them

I was in the business of repairing computers for years. unfortunately the "repairests" on west street had bigger marketing budgets but they were scam artists. So I hate to see people go to them
    That's a shame, happens a lot of small businesses I'm sure. There's a place across from the side entrance to the lawrence center, is it Peter street, I was thinking of going there if I need repairs. Do you know it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Thanks for all your help ssmith6287, when I unplugged the kettle lead and plugged it back in I didn't hear a pop so I'm hoping it's just the charger . I'm going to bring it to Image in the next day or so, I'll let you know how, get on, thanks again

• Advertisement

Ah it was a case of I'd be upfront with an issue whereas theyd tell you its a minor issue to get the machine off you and suddenly they would find something else wrong... and something else wrong. People don't like the truth and I don't like to lie so prob didn't suit :D

Yeah it could be a simple kettle lead or maybe a charger needs replacing. either way cheaper then a mobo :)

Advertisement